BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'The Mind of a Driver'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: 'The Mind of a Driver' Reply with quote

This is yet another of the many essays I originally wrote for BusTalk.Net that I herewith reprise for your edification and the record;

At the time I drove summer relief for Green Bus Lines (New York) I had already begun college and, while my major was not Sociology, I did find the study interesting and took one or two basic courses on the subject (I guess I wanted to find out a little more about what made people ‘tick’!).

During my short tenure with the company I met a great many of the original drivers and, to a man, every one of them seemed to be extremely bright! (This is not to say that all bus drivers should have had the mentality of ‘Ralph Kramden’!).

I mean, these were people who could sit down and talk to you on any subject with authority and, other than the profanity that pervaded virtually every sentence they spoke, I learned so much not only about current events and history but life itself! (It was amazing!).

I began to wonder why these guys who were so intelligent would have found a niche driving a bus! (And there’s nothing wrong with driving a bus – my father always said that any work can be honorable and fulfilling!).

Very tactfully, I began to question one driver after another just on this point and found virtually the same answer from all of them.

It was the depression years which stretched far into the late 1930’s when most of these fellows found it necessary to drop out of high school (and in some cases even the elementary grades) to eke out livings for their families mostly because of poor or single parent circumstances (there were no scholarships, G.I. Bills or any other benefit that could forge a better future for them).

In a way it was a shame – so much intellect that could have benefited society was wasted. But, on the other hand, they did see that their children enjoyed a much better life! (I guess that was their contribution to the world!).

Mr. Linsky
"THe Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: