BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mention of 5TH Avenue Coach on "I LOVE LUCY", etc.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Mention of 5TH Avenue Coach on "I LOVE LUCY", etc. Reply with quote

Was just watching a classic "I LOVE LUCY" episode from 1954, "TENNESSEE ERNIE VISITS", and, in the scene just before "Cousin Ernie" arrives to visit the Ricardos, Lucy and Ricky are playing Scrabble.

Lucy tells Ricky he cannot use the word he's just made: "LUCKL".

She says there is no such word, but he insists there is.

Lucy tells him to use it in a sentence.

Ricky says "It's like when you take a ride on the 5th Avenue bus....you can take either a 'LUCKL' or a 'SPRESS'!" Rolling Eyes

Lucy then informs Ricky that he means "LOCAL"!! Shocked

Just thought this might be worth a chuckle...... Smile

John

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:29 am; edited 8 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further proof of FACCO's inroads into "popular culture" comes in the form of a truly endearing children's book from 1951. "BLUNDERBUS", by Phyliss McGinley.

This charming old book tells the story of "BLUNDERBUS", the very last of the old open-topper FOCCO buses.

Though most of the "new, single-deck buses" are friendly to him, and regard him as the "senior" member of the fleet, one bus (#11), is not only rude and cantankerous to his drivers and, also his his passengers, but also, to poor old "BLUNDERBUS".

He takes a devious delight in throwing the old-timer's age up in his radiator, but also greatly enjoys dropping hints that he's heard old "BLUNDERBUS" will soon be heading to the junkyard. Sad

William Weisner, the illustrator, did a wonderful job of bringing "BLUNDERBUS" to life; his carictures of the modern FACCO buses are nothing short of priceless! Very Happy

I used to borrow this old book from our old library in Union City when I was growing up, and, a couple of years ago, I was very lucky indeed to find a copy on eBay for only $10.00! Very Happy

MORE than worth the money! Very Happy

I truly recommend this wonderful old book to anyone interested in either the FACCO or vintage NYC buses in general.

It's a wonderful old book! Very Happy

John

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:30 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"......people had been proud to ride 'BLUNDERBUS' then. His paint had glittered, his windows had sparkled, and his seats had been upholstered in bright yellow straw. But what passengers had liked most about him was his being a double-decker......"

".....oh, it had been a fine thing to board him in the old days, to climb his back stairway to the top, and let yourself be carried swiftly up the Avenue. It was better than sailing. It was better than swinging. You felt like a king, there, on a bright spring day, with the blue sky gleaming overhead, the breeze frisking your hair, and taxis and automobiles scurrying out of your way below......."

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2386
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of "BLUNDERBUS' "modern "single-deck" running mates......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3387
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: