BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'ANOTHER STRANGE ONE'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: 'ANOTHER STRANGE ONE' Reply with quote

This may not be the first 'rail bus' experiment but it sure is the best so far considering that they elected to use a fabled GM PD 4106 - they, being the New York Central Railroad.

I'm certainly going to need the help of one of our rail fans to fine tune this one but here's what I can deduce off the top of my pointed head;

The photo was taken sometime between 1966 and 1972 as per the New York license plate used, and the bus itself is an ex Greyhound.

Don't let the 'NEW YORK CITY' destination sign fool you because it's probably just a Greyhound leftover and, with a Diesel engine, this bus could not service through any tunnels to or within the city anyhow.

Perhaps someone might be able to tell us what the 'TC 3340' in the windshield means and how these buses transmit power to the railway trucks.

Enjoy,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this picture before but never had a good look at it. The bus is
starting to set itself up on the tracks. Look at the undercarriage and you will see that the front set of wheels of the "Fairmont Housing" are on the rails and the driver is about to lower the rear set.

Where the picture was taken is strictly a guess. If the picture can be increased perhaps there is some clue on the Empire sign.

I have no clue where it was taken. I had thought LIRR in Westbury, but there is no third rail so that is out.

I had read somewhere that there were 3 rail-buses built. This photo confirms it. The other two were New Looks. The transit version is in the Bus Museum in East Windsor Connecticut. The other one is a Red Arrow Suburban New Look. Don't know where that bus or the 4106 are today.

When the webmaster, myself and several other members of Shoreline visited the museum in 2002 the hosts were gracious enough to make copies of an article about the Fairmont Housing.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another photo at a different location. According to the text, it's on the New York Central in July 1967. The first photo was taken in August 1967.

This one says LIRR, July 1967.

Last edited by ripta42 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting auction from the same seller - Parochial Bus System later became New York Bus Tours and New York Bus Service.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIDEO!!!. July 25, 1967.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael et al,

Thanks for the additional photos and videos and the answer to a question that I had posed earlier in this thread.

I'm wondering why in every shot including the video it seems that the rear wheels of the bus are never elevated although it would make little sense for them to be the drive wheels which would have to run over the track ties.

I am attaching the only other photo of a rail bus (in the form of a GM 5300) from my collection which seems very much to be operating with rail trucks at both the front and rear.

Photo courtesy of Walter Miller Literature.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The side of the 4106 says "THE PORT OF NEW YORK AUTHORITY AND METROPOLITAN COMMUTER TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY"
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: "Hi Rail Operations" Reply with quote

Typically highway vehicles that drop flanged wheels down to the tracks for use in track inspection or maintenace of way are propelled by the standard roadway rubber tire which tends to line up with the top of the rail, it just goes like it does on the street. Since there is no steering involved once the Hi-rail wheels are in place, there is no reason for the front tires to be on the rail head and it might even be a problem to have them flopping around on the track unless there is some sort of steering lock I am unaware of. This could account for the front end being lifted higher than the rear. The rear tires sitting on the rail head nould mot interface with the ties at all.

Back in the 40's the Reading Railraod and Mack experimented with a rubber wheeled rail bus, however it tended to bounce and blow tires which ended up bringing the operation to a screeching halt....in more ways than one. I will see if I can dig up something to post about that. I think I have some photos of Reading Lines motor coaches somewhere I can also post.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' - All -

The quirky side of the railroad hardware business? Some clever and inventive have played around with the
concept for many decades. In near all instances, few had much of any success. There are numerous photos,
and other sources, available on many websites...

...........................Vern..........................
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other example, albeit without highway tires, were the six Twin Coach 41-SRC models which operated a rail-bus service out of Houston.

These appear to have been Twin 41-S types modified to run on rails. I recall seeing a picture or two over the years. They had a big railroad headlight mounted on the roof above the destination sign.

Probably had air horns for crossings, too. Bet that sounded delightful to the operator and passengers.

Roy
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy -

Yes, indeed! The photos of the MoPac - T & P units are on some websites (the railfan photo sites are good).
The Twin Coach units some of endless silliness of what it took to comply with whims of Texas RR Commission.
It shudda' simply authorized "in lieu" via all highway! Did it do it? No...

So to mitigate possible hurt of loyal Texans: There were many other States with quixotic solutions to real world
problems, too...

....................Vern...................
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another oddity in the form of a 1946 Fageol Twin Coach Model 41 SRC operating as a rail bus for the Missouri Pacific Railroad.

Number 701 (one of six numbered 701 to 706) is not convertible as it only operates on rails and is gasoline powered coupled with a mechanical transmission.

These buses were generally used to ferry company maintenance crews to work sites and, in some cases, to transport passengers from remote spurs to main line stations.

Of note are the 'cow catcher' and the locomotive headlight and air horns over the destination sign.

Credit with image.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

roymanning2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L,

Thanks for finding that photo. I don't know how you come up with all this stuff.

Note the pair of air horns mounted right above the operator's position. Probably louder than regular bus or truck air horns to clear the grade crossings, too. Boy, I bet he loved hearing that all day.

Roy
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' - Roy - All -

Thanks for locating this photo! Hadn't heard the explanation the series of coaches may have also shuttled track repair crews.
It would take a MoPac - T & P zealous enthusiast to know where the printed public timetables may be, accounting for actual
"in service", passenger assignments.

IIRC, note use of "LINES" in the lettering and ID. Seems to me, it implies the coaches could have been used on T & P, also...

........................Vern......................
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the attached on Wikipedia. Third paragraph down in the History section mentions the railbuses. Appears to have been an electric railway at one time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaumont,_Sour_Lake_and_Western_Railway

Roy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: