BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retired HART 701
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Retired HART 701 Reply with quote

Found retired HART bus 701 sitting in a lot on Suffolk Ave in the central Islip area over the weekend. I believe the corned was Islip ave and Suffolk ave. Anybody have anything on this bus?
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it a cut-away or a full-size Orion?
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost positive it was a cut away. Not a great place for sight seeing while driving.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet thats the bus that i was told had served with Suffolk Transit before being used by HART, sounds to be in the right place, though for a few minior details.

However if you GBL Rebel had trouble seeing it, then i bet if its the same bus that i was told about, then that would explain the few minor details that differ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
I bet thats the bus that i was told had served with Suffolk Transit before being used by HART, sounds to be in the right place, though for a few minior details.

However if you GBL Rebel had trouble seeing it, then i bet if its the same bus that i was told about, then that would explain the few minor details that differ.

This bus is right at the sidewalk in a fenced in lot. The problem was came up on me by surprise and then had to keep the car moving with traffic. No place to pull over at the time and give it a good look. Seen what I could while I could.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:

This bus is right at the sidewalk in a fenced in lot. The problem was came up on me by surprise and then had to keep the car moving with traffic. No place to pull over at the time and give it a good look. Seen what I could while I could.

sounds like the bus i was told about, except my course claimed it was a New Flyer and that it was in Brentwood. However if you saw it near the corner of Suffolk Ave and Islip Ave (NYS 111) that is like the border of Central Islip and Brentwood so either would prob work. My source also mostly seen it from either the 3D or S45 and thats prob why he thought it was a New Flyer, It would also explain why he wasn't so sure on what type of bus it was and why he thinks that the bus had first served with Suffolk County Transit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I am shedding light on the issue or blowing smoke on the issue but here is my thought.

I think that the 700's were not cut-aways but similar to step vans. If I am correct in my assumption, one of those buses were bought by the Tender Trap ( a nudie bar ) on s/s of Jericho Turnpike west of Elwood Road. It was wrapped and I suppose to be used as a party bus. I haven't seen it parked in front where it used to be prominently displayed in about 2 months. I wonder if that is the vehicle.

Tomorrow, I have to go to an annual client in East Patchogue. On my way home I could take Sunrise to Vets to Suffolk and check it out. It is now about 6:30 PM. I will check the board before I leave in the AM if anyone can provide me with more details, such as which corner the lot is on and how near to Islip Ave.

Thanks in advance
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from Vets Hwy you would cross over Islip Ave and look to your left. The bus is in a lot that is fenced in and is parked right in the front. The HART logos are gone but the residual glue remains clear and same goes with the numbers. I don't believe the bus was on the road, it might even have been for sale.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
Coming from Vets Hwy you would cross over Islip Ave and look to your left. The bus is in a lot that is fenced in and is parked right in the front. The HART logos are gone but the residual glue remains clear and same goes with the numbers. I don't believe the bus was on the road, it might even have been for sale.

The Bus which i'm sure now is the same that by friend told me about, is said to have been there for a few years now, i don't know when HART stopped using the 700's.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE FINAL WORD

I passed by the lot around 5:15 PM tonight. I was heading west into a very strong setting sun. I wasn't sure I saw it because of the sun glare so I turned up Fulton Avenue, made a 3-point turn so I could cross Suffolk at a traffic light.

#701 is in the s/w corner of the lot, next to a tiny locksmith shop, another used car lot and then Dunkin on the corner of Suffolk and 111. As I guessed in my previous post, I thought that it was sort of a bread truck type vehicle used for elderly and handicapped transport by HART. It is not a Gillig or Orion and probably seats no more than 15-20 with a large door in the middle of the passenger side. The gold stripe is still there but the HART logo and TOWN OF HUNTINGTON was pulled off, yet the word operator is still there.

I took some photos. I tried uploading them to my gallery but got the same Error 500 message as another poster. I am sending them to my friend Mr. Lindsky and perhaps he can figure out why pictures from my digital camera run into this problem. Unfortunately there are a pair of pick-up truck roof caps blocking the front of the bus.

It is the same type of bus (if not the same bus) that was by the nudie bar. Perhaps the wrap was taken off before going to this yard. The yard appears to be a scrap yard for old trucks and school buses. 701 was the only transit related item I saw. There is no sign telling you the owner of the property only a small sign in Spanish with a 631 - 231 -xxxx telephone number.

Hart Bus Al
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This it? It looks like a Chance RT-52.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i know what my friend meant, i was wrong he didn't mean Suffolk Transit, he meant Suffolk Bus Corp.

According to my friend Suffolk Bus Corp had used a few buses like the one in the link that rita42 had posted on the 7A and 7B back in the 80's and i guess early 90's. Suffolk Bus Corp's were numbered 1xx's i believe he said.

I guess he thought that Suffolk Bus Corp had sold them after they didn't need them anymore, and then HART brought it.

I know that spot, passed by it a few times when i lived in Central Islip, to me it looks to be on the Brentwood side
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a request by Hart Bus, I have been asked to post the following images of # 701 that he snapped earlier today.

Due to technical difficulties the rest will follow shortly (I hope) and in a size that is more easily viewed.

Regards to all,

Mr. 'L'

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:

Yes and in the same location. Doesn't seem to have moved since your photo was snapped
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
ripta42 wrote:

Yes and in the same location. Doesn't seem to have moved since your photo was snapped

Thats what my buddy said, its in the same spot for years now, he said that he was suprised that its been there for as long as it his.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: