BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jerusalem Avenue Bus Line in Seaford

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Jerusalem Avenue Bus Line in Seaford Reply with quote

Current LI Bus Routes N54 and N55 were purchased from Jerusalem Avenue Bus Line in the early 1970's. With the opening of Sunrise Mall in Massapequa, Seaford lost the route shown in this photo, as it became the N54. The private route (which I rode once) went on a diagonal from Seaford through Wantagh and Bellmore to Jerusalem Avenue and thence to Hempstead.
Let's see if I can post a photo. I have had Error 500 when I try to add to the gallery.

When the bus line was private

Note the route sign that does not require changing at a terminal.
Hart Bus has given me the model number TDH 5304.
Thanks. Joe

Last edited by N4 Jamaica on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
scatman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pic tho, looks like an old msba flex with those colors
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped this photo in 1973 before the trees grew leaves. Sometime in that year, MSBA purchased the lines. Note the lettering, "Jerusalem Avenue Bus Line" and lack of MSBA's symbol. The orange stripe puzzles me, as that is one of the two county colors, and I don't remember the Jerusalem Avenue buses with that stripe. (Here evidence contradicts my memory.)
----
In hunting through the NY Times files, I came across a 1970 story saying that the state had granted $480,000 to help maintenance on ten companies in Suffolk and nine in Nassau. The nine listed for Nassau are: Jerusalem Ave. Bus Line of North Merrick, Schenk Transportation Co. of Floral Park, Hempstead Bus Corp. of Garden City, Mid-Island Transit System of Westbury, Semke Bus Lines of Hempstead, Universal Auto Bus Service of Great Neck, Roosevelt Bus Line of Valley Stream, Branch Bus Corp. of Inwood, and Stage Coach Lines of Farmingdale.
----
Of that list, the company I used most was Stage Coach from Hicksville to Wantagh, with cash-register fare collection.
Joe McMahon
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

Since I lived in NYC at the time, I cannot comment on the livery, but the bus was delivered new to Jerusalem Ave Bus in 12/63 and is a TDH 5304.

Al
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Al, for the year and model. Much appreciated.
----
I came across a 1930 article in the NY Times, explaining that the Village of Hempstead had annexed territory (presumably eastward) and a judge gave Jerusalem Avenue Bus Line permission to charge an extra five cents for travel to that annexation. Therefore, we know the company existed in 1930.
Thanks and best wishes to the helpful people on this board.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jerusalem Avenue Bus Line in Seaford Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
I have had Error 500 when I try to add to the gallery.

Those are usually temporary and have to with overall load on the server (not just this website). Please try again; great photo!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: