BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE SUFFOLK COUNTY'
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 5071
Location: BRENTWOOD, CA. - WOODMERE, N.Y.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: 'VINTAGE SUFFOLK COUNTY' Reply with quote

Thought you might like a medley of vintage jobs from the Suffolk County;

The top image, taken in August of 1981 in Babylon shows two Inter-County Canadian New Flyer D 901A's with just the edge of a GM New Look to the right of the frame.

The second frame shows a GM 5300 New Look operating as fleet number 434 for Babylon Transit and signed for Walt Whitman Shopping Center.

Picture three depicts fleet number 924 - a 1970's GM 4500 New Look operating for Coram Line Service.

The last photo is the most interesting because it's an ex New York City Transit Authority 1958 GM TDH 5106 of the 9000 series now carrying the livery of Babylon Transit and renumbered 336.

This bus is easy to spot because it was one of only 121 5106's built by GM with horizontal sliding passenger sashes and all went to New York City.

Photos borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York




Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1560
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Coram was using Coram Line Service on their Transit buses instead of Coram Bus Service.

I wonder where that bus in the picture came from, i'm sure it was a hand me down as all the buses that i tracked that they brought where numbered in the 1xx's.

First time i've seen a pic of a Coram Lines Bus, Don't think it was my Grandfather behind the wheel.

I wonder if the S20 did run to Halesite or if someone was just being funny and some how switched the route sign and destantion sign. The closest route i know with a 2 in it that went near Halesite is a route numbered S21 that went from Sunrise Mall to Walt Whitman Mall.

This is the first time i've seen a picture of 550, the only New Flyer pic's i saw until today was of 552 and 553 on the S54.

Funny thing, Inter County had a bus numbered 336, though i don't think its the same bus, that had ties with NYBS. I forget what way i wrote the bus went. It was either sent to NYBS or brought frm them.

Thanks for finding those pics and posting them mr.Linsky, i know i've tried countless times in the past and never was able to find anything, but i suspect i wasn't looking in the right places.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 5071
Location: BRENTWOOD, CA. - WOODMERE, N.Y.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60,

Here's one that I missed altogether; fleet number 507 - a 1960's TD or TGH 3501 operating for the Suffolk Bus Company and signed for #2 to Babylon.

Must have been bought used because I find nothing under new purchases for it.

These dual headlight jobs signaled the last of the GM Old Look design which had a run of twenty-eight years!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1560
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
S-60,

Here's one that I missed altogether; fleet number 507 - a 1960's TD or TGH 3501 operating for the Suffolk Bus Company and signed for #2 to Babylon.

Must have been bought used because I find nothing under new purchases for it.

These dual headlight jobs signaled the last of the GM Old Look design which had a run of twenty-eight years!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'



Mr. L

I did find something on that bus.

It is a 1966 GM TDH 3501, it was in an order of four numbered 505-508 and serial numbers #0625-0628.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus



Age: 67
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 1103

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
So Coram was using Coram Line Service on their Transit buses instead of Coram Bus Service.

I wonder where that bus in the picture came from, i'm sure it was a hand me down as all the buses that i tracked that they brought where numbered in the 1xx's.

First time i've seen a pic of a Coram Lines Bus, Don't think it was my Grandfather behind the wheel.


This is the first time i've seen a picture of 550, the only New Flyer pic's i saw until today was of 552 and 553 on the S54.

Funny thing, Inter County had a bus numbered 336, though i don't think its the same bus, that had ties with NYBS. I forget what way i wrote the bus went. It was either sent to NYBS or brought frm them.

Thanks for finding those pics and posting them mr.Linsky, i know i've tried countless times in the past and never was able to find anything, but i suspect i wasn't looking in the right places.


I will comment on your post in the order posted

1 - Mr. L. doesn't say when the picture of Coram Line Service 924 was
taken. In Joe Saitta's 1997 Calendar there is a picture of fleet # 293 that also shows Coram Line Service Inc. According to Joe, it is a 1965 TDH-4519 that was owned by Blue Bird Coach of Olean, NY. There is no mention of what BB's fleet # was. Picture taken by Gary Grahl on Sept. 9, 1982

However, to add more confusion to this comment, there is a picture in the 1996 calendar showing fleet #340 taken on April 14, 1979. The bus is still in the GRTA livery, yet the ID says Coram Bus Service, Inc.

Does this mean that there were 2 entities, for some legal purpose?

2 - If you closely at the picture of 550, there is another New Flyer, with the destination sign probably saying "Halesite". The only route that ever went there was the S-1. Considering that county can have the buses swapped between companies, perhaps they ordered with all routes and
destinations? The two units look like they just came back from a paint shop and possibly reasigned to a different operator.

Look again at the pictureand you'll see a piece of a Babylon Transit fishbowl.

Kudos to my dear friend,WCA, for posting these gems.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1560
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
So Coram was using Coram Line Service on their Transit buses instead of Coram Bus Service.

I wonder where that bus in the picture came from, i'm sure it was a hand me down as all the buses that i tracked that they brought where numbered in the 1xx's.

First time i've seen a pic of a Coram Lines Bus, Don't think it was my Grandfather behind the wheel.


This is the first time i've seen a picture of 550, the only New Flyer pic's i saw until today was of 552 and 553 on the S54.

Funny thing, Inter County had a bus numbered 336, though i don't think its the same bus, that had ties with NYBS. I forget what way i wrote the bus went. It was either sent to NYBS or brought frm them.

Thanks for finding those pics and posting them mr.Linsky, i know i've tried countless times in the past and never was able to find anything, but i suspect i wasn't looking in the right places.


I will comment on your post in the order posted

1 - Mr. L. doesn't say when the picture of Coram Line Service 924 was
taken. In Joe Saitta's 1997 Calendar there is a picture of fleet # 293 that also shows Coram Line Service Inc. According to Joe, it is a 1965 TDH-4519 that was owned by Blue Bird Coach of Olean, NY. There is no mention of what BB's fleet # was. Picture taken by Gary Grahl on Sept. 9, 1982

However, to add more confusion to this comment, there is a picture in the 1996 calendar showing fleet #340 taken on April 14, 1979. The bus is still in the GRTA livery, yet the ID says Coram Bus Service, Inc.

Does this mean that there were 2 entities, for some legal purpose?

2 - If you closely at the picture of 550, there is another New Flyer, with the destination sign probably saying "Halesite". The only route that ever went there was the S-1. Considering that county can have the buses swapped between companies, perhaps they ordered with all routes and
destinations? The two units look like they just came back from a paint shop and possibly reasigned to a different operator.

Look again at the pictureand you'll see a piece of a Babylon Transit fishbowl.

Kudos to my dear friend,WCA, for posting these gems.


Coram Line Service was founded in 1980, i looked it up after i made the post, so i figure some time after 1980. That would explain why #340 had Coram Bus Service on it in 1979. Though Coram Line Service was most likelt created after the New Flyers arrived as they are listed as being assigned to Coram Bus Service, though Coram could have entered into a contract with the county before they decided to spin off their Transit operations.

I don't know about a legal purpouse, though if they could hardly fund one company, it must have been very hard to fund two companies.

550 was assigned to Inter County stight out from what i can tell. But you could be right and all the buses could have been ordered with all the destanation signs. Or The S1 could have been run by Babylon Transit (I have no idea when EBT started running Transit), and Inter County and Babylon had a relationship or shared buses and that could explain why Halseite was in the destination sign.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus



Age: 67
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 1103

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that EBT was awarded the S-1 from the day Suffolk County took control of all routes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1560
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
I believe that EBT was awarded the S-1 from the day Suffolk County took control of all routes.


Then i wonder why EBT didn't recive any New Flyers, unless you are right and 550 and what ever the number of the one next to it, wasn't assigned to Inter County when it arrived. Meaning Inter County only had 552 and 553 when the New Flyers arrived.

I haven't tracked any Transit buses going to EBT before the 1982 Gillig Phantoms, though i did find a few buses that were brought by a father and son company that had the same address as EBT's yard. I wonder if they are the same company?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus



Age: 67
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 1103

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my memory is correct,the S-1 was always covered by Gilligs. Don't ever recall a New Flyer on the route.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1560
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my partial Vintage Roster for Suffolk Transit, before and after it was created. I went up to the 93xx's because i felt they are kinda vintage at this point.


Suffolk Bus Corporation

1957 GM TGH3102: ???
1963 GM SDM5302: 600-601
1966 GM TDH3501: 505-508
1966 GM TDH4519: 601
1967 GM TDH4519: 604-605
1968 GM T6H5306A: 605
1969 GM T6H4521: 517 (Ex Utica Transit)
1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 800-806
1987 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 8701-8703,8720-8733 (Originally numbered 701-702,720-733, 8703 was Originally numbred 710)
1991 Gillig Phantom 40TB102: 9100 (Originally numbered 900, sent to Sunrise))
1991 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 9101-9108 (Originally numbered 901-908)
1993 Flxible Metro D 3096: 9321-9326


CBS Lines Inc (Former Coram Line Service, Former Coram Bus Service)

1962 GM TGH3102: 101-102
GM TDH4517: 340 (Originally Greater Richmond TA)
1965 GM TDH4519: 293 (Originally Blue Bird Coach Lines Inc #293)
1974 GM T6H4523A: 124 (Originally GM Public Relations)
197x GM 4500: 924
1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 113-115
1991 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 930-934
1993 Flixble Metro D 3096: 9311-9316


Inter County Motor Coach

1957 GM TDH5106: 60
1960 GM SDM5301: 103
1960 GM TDH4517: 105
1960 GM TDH5302: 378 (Originally Rochester RTS #211)
1961 GM TDH4517: 106
1961 GM TDH5301: 109
1962 GM TDH5301: 409 (Originally MBTA #304)
1962 GM TDH5302: 127
1963 GM SDM5302: 148
1964 GM SDM5302: 157
1964 GM TDH5304: 158
1964 GM SDM5303: 334,336 (Originally New York Bus Service #334,336)
1966 GM SDM5302: 181-183
1966 GM TDH5304: 184-185
1968 GM T6H5306: 195-196
1969 GM S8H5303A: 234-235 (235 Sent to New York Bus Service as 1464)
1970 GM S8H5303A: 248-249
1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 550-553,555-557,624 (555-557 Originally assigned to Babylon Transit, I have nothing on 624)
1982 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 558-562
1987 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 750-759
1991 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 940-941
1003 Flxible Metro 3096: 9331-9342 (9332 sent to Hampton Jitney)


Educational Bus Transportation

1967 GM TDH4519: 104
1967 GM TDH4519: 105
1970 GM S8H5303A: 111
1982 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 6-13 (Originally numbered 118-125)
1991 Gillig Phantom 40TB102: 910-917
1993 Flxible Metro D 3096: 9301-9303


Hampton Jitney Bus

1993 Flxible Metro D 3096: 9332 (Originally assigned to Inter-County)

Sunrise Coaches Inc.

1960 GM SDH3501: 101
1963 GM SDH4502: 102
1966 GM SDH5302: 105
1968 GM T6H5306: 106
1982 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 126-127
1991 Gillig Phantom 40TB102: 9100 (Originally assigned to Suffolk Bus, Originally 900)


Former Suffolk County Transit Operators

Babylon Transit


1955 GM TDH3714: 36
1956 GM TDH3714: 44
1958 GM TDH5106: 336 (Originally New York City Transit)
GM 5300: 434
1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 555-557 (went to Inter County)

Lindenhurst Bus Company

1960 GM TDH5302: 104
1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 554

The Blue Line

1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 112
1987 Gillig Phantom 35TB102: 710 (Went to Suffolk Bus and renumbered 8703)


Alert Coach Lines

1959 GM TDH5106: 617
GM Fishbowl: 92
1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 109-111

Louis A. Fuoco

1962 GM TGH3102: 58
1966 GM TDH4519: ????
1981 New Flyer D901A-10235C: 108


Buses that ran for Suffolk Transit but i am unable to place

5, 7-13, 209, 815-820, 711, 740-742, 920


Last edited by S-60 To Smith Haven Mall on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 5071
Location: BRENTWOOD, CA. - WOODMERE, N.Y.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60,

Very comprehensive rosters for Suffolk - good work!

My only comment would be that Babylon Transit # 336 (pictured again below) is a TDH 5106 and not a 5105 (it was one of 121 delivered originally to the New York City Transit Authority and carried a fleet number in the 9000's).

Also note that it had a painted steel bumper when new and no ICC markers on the ThermoMatic intake over the destination sign.

Regards and best wishes for the coming year.

Mr. 'L'

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1560
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L

Sorry about that, i must have hit five instead of six, i'll fix it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus



Age: 67
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 1103

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a chance, I will look through the 3 Mega Bus Calendars I have to see if you've overlooked any buses.

One omission that will take some time to research is that of HUNTINGTON COACH that ran the north half of the S-1 from Halesite to WW Mall. From memory I know Fishbowls 404 & 405 were the last workhorses on that line. Joe S has a picture of a suburban Fishbowl, with LIRR signage that was in their fleet.

Perhaps my good friend from the other coast, Mr. Linsky can fill it in before me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1560
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
When I get a chance, I will look through the 3 Mega Bus Calendars I have to see if you've overlooked any buses.

One omission that will take some time to research is that of HUNTINGTON COACH that ran the north half of the S-1 from Halesite to WW Mall. From memory I know Fishbowls 404 & 405 were the last workhorses on that line. Joe S has a picture of a suburban Fishbowl, with LIRR signage that was in their fleet.

Perhaps my good friend from the other coast, Mr. Linsky can fill it in before me.


I'll add Huntington Coach to the list, i just did the ones that had county contracts because they were well known (not that Huntington Coach isn't) for doing transit before and after the county took over. But i'll add Huntington Coach, and any other company that someone knows ran transit in Suffolk, if someone can get approximent year the bus's were made and a model or the closest model. (at least the year, the model can wait)

I know on the website of Huntington Coach, under the history it shows a picture of a transit bus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 5071
Location: BRENTWOOD, CA. - WOODMERE, N.Y.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't do a lot to help (although I thank HartBus for his vote of confidence) except to post a couple of interesting and historic Huntington Coach Company photos taken from their website.

The upper image of the company's Bayville Yard in 1949 shows three prewar Macks with the two on the left of the frame being lightweight models - probably in the LD or CW class.

The bus in the upper right looks to be possibly a heavier CO model and the wreck by the garage door is anyone's guess.

I have searched Mack production records and find nothing purchased new by Huntington Coach.

The lower photo shows fleet number 402 - a 1965 GM Model TDH 3501 and one of three (401 to 403) delivered to Mannville, Inc. DBA Huntington Coach Corporation of Bayville, New York in November of that year.

These 3501's were equipped with ToroFlow Truck Diesels and hydraulic transmissions.

BTW; the Bayville Yard image is a great slice of the past.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group