BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Proposed Sunday Expansion of SCT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Proposed Sunday Expansion of SCT Reply with quote

An article in today's Newsday says that Legislator Eric Schneiderman is proposing instituting Sunday service on some, but not all routes, as well as a fare hike to $2.00.

The hike, up from $1.50, is the first one in 16 years. I think that its long overdue.

Only two lines were mentioned, although I'm sure there will be others are the S-1 and the S-92.

If it is implemented the hope is that there will be more shopping done and an increase in sales tax as a boon to the merchants along the routes.

Legislature Barraga is opposed because he says that if it is proposed as a experimental measure and fails, it will be hard to stop the service,
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Proposed Sunday Expansion of SCT Reply with quote

A fare hike to $2.00, i will support.

As for the routes, it was said to be a least half or so, mostly mall routes, though that was months ago.

The S1 and 92 are great routes for Sunday Service. Its a no brainer that the 92 will get Sunday Service as the legeslatior who came up with the current plan to get Sunday Service is from out east. LOL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The TransitMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Proposed Sunday Expansion of SCT Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
A fare hike to $2.00, i will support.

As for the routes, it was said to be a least half or so, mostly mall routes, though that was months ago.

The S1 and 92 are great routes for Sunday Service. Its a no brainer that the 92 will get Sunday Service as the legeslatior who came up with the current plan to get Sunday Service is from out east. LOL.

I second Sunday service for the S92! Even the S1 and S54...yes, the S54.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the S1 and S92, were mentioned as the two busiest routes that would likely get Sunday service, not that they will get Sunday Service.
However i bet they will.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not take this comment as racist or bigoted. I was told about 3 years ago by a man who rented a piece of property to a taxi company that services the Hispanic community in Huntington, that his busiest day was Sunday, because many Hispanics visit relatives and friends on their day off.

His cabs were running non-stop between Huntington Station and Brentwood. Obviously Sunday service on the S-1 would cut into this business.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Please do not take this comment as racist or bigoted. I was told about 3 years ago by a man who rented a piece of property to a taxi company that services the Hispanic community in Huntington, that his busiest day was Sunday, because many Hispanics visit relatives and friends on their day off.

His cabs were running non-stop between Huntington Station and Brentwood. Obviously Sunday service on the S-1 would cut into this business.

It could. However if a majority of his riders go from Huntington to Brentwood and back, i can't see there being a big dent in his business because those who travel that way would have to take a lot of buses and since not knoing what routes would recive Sunday Service, a cab would be a better bet to take. But thats just my opinion.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Riverhead paper, News Review, March 17, 2011 http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview.com/2011/03/10856/sunday-bus-services-could-be-coming-to-the-east-end/
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the issue was dead with the Levy veto.

I have one problem with that article, they claim that the routes that will get Sunday Service are mentioned in both proposals, But they only mention the S92 and 10C. Now i understand that the newspaper is for the east end only but they should still tell their readers what other routes will get Sunday Service so riders who would pay the fare hike would know what routes said fare hike are benefiting.

I'm not holding my breath on this though, I see a Levy veto coming no matter what one passes.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not holding my breath on this though, I see a Levy veto coming no matter what one passes.

Ever the skeptic, let me say that the veto may depend on how many votes it will cost Levy.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:

Ever the skeptic, let me say that the veto may depend on how many votes it will cost Levy.

Does Levy have any votes to lose, i mean he surly lost alot when he switched from Democrat to Republican just to run for Governor.

I believe now, after thinking about it some more that maybe just maybe the proposal where the fare gets increased on the S92 and 10C only wouldn't get vetoed as long as the fare increase goes for funding Sunday Service on those two routes only.

The other proposal sounds just like the one Levy vetoed, but with less routes supposedly getting Sunday Service. And would most likely get vetoed by Levy if it reaches his desk. If it doesn't get vetoed, then he would have alot of explaining to do about why he vetoed it the first time and not the second.

If i was a betting man, i would bet that Levy would not win his next reelection.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increase fares to $2 on the S-92 to cover the expense of Sunday service on the S-92 ?! Why should that ride cost more than the (for example) S-58. Why should a Mon-Fri, 5 days a week, commuter pay more to subsidize the fare for a Sunday rider?
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Increase fares to $2 on the S-92 to cover the expense of Sunday service on the S-92 ?! Why should that ride cost more than the (for example) S-58. Why should a Mon-Fri, 5 days a week, commuter pay more to subsidize the fare for a Sunday rider?

That was the point that Levy made when he vetoed the last bill on the matter, why should all Suffolk Transit riders pay an increase fare for Sunday Service when that rider may not benefit them.

Though the problem with that thinking is, yeah it benefit them right away like it would others, but in due time (maybe a year or two) it would benefit all the riders.

See that is one reason why Levy is a bone head, he said he wanted to make Suffolk Transit better for the riders and when the chance to do something three Republican and one Democratic Administration failed to do, and he blew it.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here it comes ?! From the Times-Review.
http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview.com/2011/03/11137/sunday-buses-%e2%80%94-along-with-a-fare-hike-%e2%80%94-are-coming-to-the-east-end/#
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
Here it comes ?! From the Times-Review.
http://riverheadnewsreview.timesreview.com/2011/03/11137/sunday-buses-%e2%80%94-along-with-a-fare-hike-%e2%80%94-are-coming-to-the-east-end/#

Still needs Levy's approvel, and that doesn't seem to be coming yet.

I say he has to approve this one otherwise he going to have a hard time explaining why he vetoed it, since only the riders on the S92 and 10C will have fare increases to pay for those two routes getting Sunday Service.

Levy's whole reason for vetoing the last propsal was because all the riders would be paying an increase when some of those riders wouldn't get Sunday Service. Well the new propsal, all the riders who pay the fare increase would get Sunday Service.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

County executive signed the "Sunday bus service" bill. It is official, Sunday service starting effective July 03, 2011. Fares on the two (2) lines slated for Sunday service (S-92 and 10C) increase to $2.00 effective maybe June 15. Wait until all the riders realize they will be paying the increased fare every day, all year long for the Sunday service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: