BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'MY UNWELCOME VISIT TO JFK DEPOT'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: 'MY UNWELCOME VISIT TO JFK DEPOT' Reply with quote

The cordial welcome that I received at the Q46 bus stop on Queens Boulevard at Union Turnpike was not quite the same as I received at JFK Depot on Rockaway Boulevard earlier in the day when the 'guard' at the gate forbid me to take pictures which I did anyway as can be seen below.

Fortunately, my knowledge of the garage from working there 49 years ago helped me to sneak a few shots from the sides and rear - BTW; the 'Bus Stop Sign' cemetery in the back yard is gone as is one 1939 Mack 'CM' (800) that they used to use as parts for whatever other of the CM's that were still roadworthy.

I looked for GBL RTS # 10,001 but it must have been out on the road show.

I could have given the guard a hard time because I don't believe taking pictures of the facility from the public highway is against the law and is certainly not specified as a rule on his front gate signs seen in the second picture from the top.

Enjoy the show,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots, Mr. L.
It's interesting to observe how different are the appearances of Orion VII OG HEV's with black versus white rear panels.
Just think about how many different types of transit vehicles had resided at this facility over the years!
I remember as a kid passing this depot on Rockaway Blvd. while in the family car en route to a day on the beach at Far Rockaway. At that time, you could see all types of fishbowls sporting the classic old GBL light green livery.
Even though today it's all white and blue, it's still good to see that the grand old depot is still in daily service.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

There certainly has been a lot of water under the bridge since my time as can be seen below when 'Rockaway Boulevard' (that's what we always called it) first opens all of its doors in 1952 - in fact, shown sitting alone (center) is a brand new 5104 just delivered.

Yes, I know well what's standing there and what meaning it has but they've made such a muddle out of it that the youngsters of today will never really be able to appreciate the old girl's grand heritage!

Forgive me for shedding a tear as I write this.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

psa188

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: photography Reply with quote

It's too bad that the guard perpetuates the myth that photography from public streets is against the law. As long as you didn't tresspass on the property, he should have left you alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: