BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CT Transit - Novas 9600s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bus1491

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: CT Transit - Novas 9600s Reply with quote

Please be advised that 9622 is out of service again due to engine problems.

It is stored at James Street now with OFS 9602,9620,9621 and 9622
subbuff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you sure it wasnt 9620.i think it came back for one last day, then it went away again.
Bill D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that this winter is taking its toll on the 9600's. During my visits to Hamden during the past week, the was no shortage of Classics in the repair bays. Several mechanics that I spoke to indicated that any given bus in the group shows up in the shop 2 - 3 times per week, for different problems each time. It also appeared from my observations, that they are for the most part restricted to rush hour use. The buses with major mechanical failures are placed in storage at James Street, and then are brought back to Hamden for repair on a case by case basis. I did observe 9622 in the shop one day with no farebox, then the next day it was parked in the main storage area with a box installed. I also spotted 3 of the D40HF's still active - 941, 947 and 950, although 950 spent most of the week in the shop. Below are some pictures of the older buses taken during my visits.

DSC00636
Classic 9605 and D40HF 941 in storage area.

DSC00609
9610 and 9613 in repair bays.

DSC00640
Ex Hartford bus 9643 on inspection lift.

DSC00699
9615 in repair bay.

DSC00700
Overview of the shop with 8 Classics in for repairs.

Bill
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, how would you say they are comparing to the Nova RTS's you have in Waterbury, given that both fleets are the same age?
Bill D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Bill, how would you say they are comparing to the Nova RTS's you have in Waterbury, given that both fleets are the same age?

Jim, the RTS's are holding up well. Since they are our primary fleet vehicles, we have to stay on top of the maintenance. Fortunately, the previous two winters were relatively mild, and along with some remedial actions, the rear bulkheads have shown a slower rate of deterioration than we had expected. In the past year, we have experienced failures of components that had never been an issue in the past, so we have had to add new parts to inventory to maintain these items. Also, on the subject of parts, since the number of RTS's in service around the country has decreased, we have found that many parts are not in as abundant supply as in the past. Where a year or two ago, a part that would ship to us in a matter of days, often takes a few weeks now. There have not been many major failures lately, and when there have been, we have made the necessary repairs to return the bus to service. We do have a priority list, based on overall condition, as to which buses will be retired early, and which ones will be held on until last, but there is nothing that we are overly concerned about.

As for the 9600 series buses, it seems that as the Nova artics began to arrive, the ones experiencing major failures were sidelined. Bus since the placement of the artics in service has been delayed, as well as the arrival of the Xcelsiors, it has been necessary to put some back in service. One thing that I did not check on while in Hamden was the mileage on the Classics, but I am sure that as a group they have many more miles than the RTS's.

Now that the Xcelsiors are starting to arrive, I am sure that the retirement of the older buses will begin over the next few weeks, especially for us, since we do not have extra storage room on our site. I'll post updates as the transition begins.

Bill
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on the Waterbury RTS fleet. Since a midweek storm which dumped sleet and freezing rain in addition to more snow, we have seen many lower body panels damaged from buses running up against snow banks on narrow streets, where there is little more than one passable lane. Although this has been a problem in past winters, this week we are also seeing damage to panels on the left side of the buses, as many intersections are difficult to negotiate due to the piles of snow. Depending on the degree of damage, we either replace or secure the panels, since we expect more damage to occur before conditions improve.

Bill
djmarco12

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they will all be retired in september 2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: