BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9904 and 5073 and such
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1626
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
ST9909 wrote:
and yessirrrr 5073 will be back on the 60-3 soon


5073 Sitting on Route 112 facing North-bound in Medford with hazard lights on around 3p.m. and the driver walking around it.


Thats an odd place for that, there aren't no CBS Lines runs that are in that area. Unless you confused where you saw it on 112? Or the bus was on a test drive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GBL Rebel
Moderator


Age: 41
Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Posts: 584
Location: Long Island, N.Y.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Thats an odd place for that, there aren't no CBS Lines runs that are in that area. Unless you confused where you saw it on 112? Or the bus was on a test drive.

North of Horseblock Road facing North across the street from Greg and Bill Autobody. POSITIVE it was there-- I was going South on 112 and turned left onto Horseblock.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1626
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall wrote:
Thats an odd place for that, there aren't no CBS Lines runs that are in that area. Unless you confused where you saw it on 112? Or the bus was on a test drive.

North of Horseblock Road facing North across the street from Greg and Bill Autobody. POSITIVE it was there-- I was going South on 112 and turned left onto Horseblock.


That is a weird place for it. I would figure it was on a test drive as the only route that CBS has in that area is the S71 and i doubt they would put 5073 on that route.

And 112 is a bad place to have something happen to the bus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1626
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST9909 wrote:
by the way number two i'm sorry i trashed 5059 it musta just been a bad day with the seat and the air conditioning/heating....that bus is FAST too


A friend of mine rode 5059 on the S58, he reported the same thing about the A/C that you said. But he also said that the bus has fumes inside and it smoked alot and seemed slow compared to the other 50xx buses. I don't know if he compared it to 5071-5081 or all the 50xx buses at all the companies.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ST9909



Age: 28
Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5073 was over there because that's where it was being fixed......one of the drivers assigned to standby was driven there by a mechanic to pick the bus up....it has been in service but is still not assigned to the 60-3 as far as i know....

they fixed the seat in 5059 but i heard it still has some problems......compared to 5071-81 that bus is a little slow but to be honest with you a lot of those buses are getting tired....very tired.....i had 5076 as a substitute one day this week and it couldnt get out of it's own way.....the retarder was grinding and it was idling so rough that i vibrated all day....when i got home i still felt like i was vibrating.....

5071 is one of the better buses
5072 used to be fast but is slowing down....still a very reliable bus though
i havent driven 73 in awhile
5074 is a FAST bus but has electrical problems
5075 is a piece of junk
5076 is an even bigger pos
5077 used to be good....but has been in and out of service due to the fact that it shoots motor oil out the back and is so bad that you cant see the rear lights or number
5078 is one of the fastest buses.....mainly because it has a new motor in it (fairly new)
5079 is a good bus but has one problem....the seat droops (i wont give any names but the seat is flat and worn out)
i have NEVER driven 5080 or 5081....solely because i get a 99 whenever im on the 62

as far as the 99's go ive had the following experiences

i've never driven 9901
9902 is ok :/
9903 is fast (i got it up to 80....no governer) (same with 9907 i had it when the farebox broke on 5076)
9904 used to be the worst bus....but is now prob one of the quicker ones
9905 is good and fast except for the part where the back door interlock is slow as SH**
I havent seen 9906 in forever but it used to be one of my faves.....then it kept cutting out on me and i hated it lol
9907 is my favorite bus of all time (along with 9909) fast and rides nice.....but i havent driven it since the 56
9908 is fast and i had it on the night loop one day it was great!....only thing is it likes to blow black smoke....so at the pedestrian signs in port jeff its fun to put t in neutral and smoke out pj lol Smile
9909 is the other favorite bus.....but i heard it was in a fire awhile back (anybody know what happened?
and 9910 is also a very good bus despite the problems they used to have with it......

i dont like the 96 series because i always overheat them lol...and the 97's are too small i like big hahha....

i think i covered them all now lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1626
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST9909 wrote:
5073 was over there because that's where it was being fixed......one of the drivers assigned to standby was driven there by a mechanic to pick the bus up....it has been in service but is still not assigned to the 60-3 as far as i know....

they fixed the seat in 5059 but i heard it still has some problems......compared to 5071-81 that bus is a little slow but to be honest with you a lot of those buses are getting tired....very tired.....i had 5076 as a substitute one day this week and it couldnt get out of it's own way.....the retarder was grinding and it was idling so rough that i vibrated all day....when i got home i still felt like i was vibrating.....

5071 is one of the better buses
5072 used to be fast but is slowing down....still a very reliable bus though
i havent driven 73 in awhile
5074 is a FAST bus but has electrical problems
5075 is a piece of junk
5076 is an even bigger pos
5077 used to be good....but has been in and out of service due to the fact that it shoots motor oil out the back and is so bad that you cant see the rear lights or number
5078 is one of the fastest buses.....mainly because it has a new motor in it (fairly new)
5079 is a good bus but has one problem....the seat droops (i wont give any names but the seat is flat and worn out)
i have NEVER driven 5080 or 5081....solely because i get a 99 whenever im on the 62

as far as the 99's go ive had the following experiences

i've never driven 9901
9902 is ok :/
9903 is fast (i got it up to 80....no governer) (same with 9907 i had it when the farebox broke on 5076)
9904 used to be the worst bus....but is now prob one of the quicker ones
9905 is good and fast except for the part where the back door interlock is slow as SH**
I havent seen 9906 in forever but it used to be one of my faves.....then it kept cutting out on me and i hated it lol
9907 is my favorite bus of all time (along with 9909) fast and rides nice.....but i havent driven it since the 56
9908 is fast and i had it on the night loop one day it was great!....only thing is it likes to blow black smoke....so at the pedestrian signs in port jeff its fun to put t in neutral and smoke out pj lol Smile
9909 is the other favorite bus.....but i heard it was in a fire awhile back (anybody know what happened?
and 9910 is also a very good bus despite the problems they used to have with it......

i dont like the 96 series because i always overheat them lol...and the 97's are too small i like big hahha....

i think i covered them all now lol


I have no idea what happen to 9909, a friend told me that it caught fire like five or so years ago. I never heard anything about it. I was only aware of 9609 burning before the 99xx's came and it was suppose to be shipped off to Sunrise with 9604-9608. Thats why Sunrise has 2001, because it replaced 9606.

The last time i was on the S60 back in February, i think it was 9909, when the driver step on the break it made a noise that reminded me of an elephant. Then the next month when it was on the S71, the driver told my mother that it was written up, to have its breaks fixed but she was assigned it anyway, or something like that.

My friend thinks that the Turbo on 5059 may go, because what he said happen while he rode 5059, happen to 9910 before the turbo went on that bus.

I heard from a friend who rode 5078 a while ago, with the driver that i knew when i was younger, he said that the retarder was acting up on that bus when the bus slowed down. Yeah heard about 5078's getting a new engine, the driver who normally has that bus, wasn't to happy when it was out, or so i'm told by my friend.

CBS never had that much trouble with the older Gilligs, or at least that i could tell. The only problems i ever remember were that one 9xx Gillig had its fare box break and the 96xx's on the S60 would sometimes have holes in the lower right hand corner of the front right windshield.

I remember riding the Night Loop, with my mother and sisters, when i was younger, never rode it with a 99xx bus. I remember the first and only time i saw a 99xx on the S69 it was the summer of 2000. I have to admit i didn't like the sight much. (I wasn't a big fan of the 99xx buses when they came, mostly because i didn't like the paint scheme)

I've only rode 4 of CBS's 50xx Gilligs, and remember all their numbers except one. I can't remember the one i rode on the S60 like a day or two before my niece was born.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ST9909



Age: 28
Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly i think they're all starting to be JUNK now lol i want my ORION's every day.....but its not gonna happen
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall




Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 1626
Location: Suffolk County, NY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ST9909 wrote:
honestly i think they're all starting to be JUNK now lol i want my ORION's every day.....but its not gonna happen


I don't think they Gilligs were meant to be front line buses for more then at least four years on routes with hills like the S60 and alternate route on the 62 in Wading River. Because those 96xx's 9601-9603 did fine on the 60 for the 4 years that they were front line buses on the 60. Those 50xx are going on 5 years being front line buses.

The 50x buses that run on the S66, don't seem to be in as bad a shape as you say CBS's 50xx buses are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ST9909



Age: 28
Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 54

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're becoming junk and the routes are too long for them....they are underpowered and for the most part the turbos constantly blow on those things.....sometimes the 96 buses run better than they do.....but i'll tell you what the orions still kicking and they run better than the gilligs in my opinion
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group