BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Many Members are Drivers, Former Drivers or Kin?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: How Many Members are Drivers, Former Drivers or Kin? Reply with quote

Wondering how many members out there are Drivers, Former Drivers, or Relative to a Driver?

My Grandfather started driving trolleys for the United Electric Railways in Pawtucket and Providence RI in 1917. He was only 17 at the time, but told them he was 18. He saw many changes, drove every line and worked his way up the ranks to Inspector. Not sure when he stepped away from the bus steering wheel, but he had a Inspectors car with a 2-Way Radio. He was known to be real strict with schedules. Didn't want any bus to be too early or too late. Worked for the company for 39 years straight. Would had probably made it to close to 50 years, but he had a stroke in 1957, which forced him to retire. He sure loved his "Free Pass for Life" though.

Bill
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove for Green Bus Lines of Jamaica, New York for the equivalent of one year (four summer months each in 1959, 60 and 61).

I would have continued except that schooling and my future life's work took center stage after that.

It was a lot of fun though, and I met many interesting people.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Hankg42

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad drove for the New York City Transit Authority, and its predecessors, from 1946 to 1971, in Staten Island. There were many days as a kid I would ride with him, and finish up at the Castleton Ave. garage.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank,

I presume that from what you say your father must have driven for Staten Island Coach Company and or the short lived Isle Transportation Company the followed just before city takeover in 1947.

A little history of Staten Island Coach follows;

In March of 1937 the Staten Island Coach Company replaced trolley service with the first buses from St. George to Tottenville and overhead electric trolley lines and roadbed trolley tracks began to disappear from the landscape. The City of New York took over bus service from several private companies in 1947.

Attached is a rare photo of an early trolley bus circa mid twenties (make unknown) operating on Staten Island for the City of New York Department of Plant and Structures on an emergency basis until responsible private operators could be found.

Photo courtesy of NYPL Digital Gallery.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, another great historical posting. Thanks, Mr. L. While off-topic for this post, I wonder where the Staten Island Rapid Transit (now Staten Island Railway) might have fit into those trolley lines, if at all. I had done some reading about its history, but I recall no mention of trolley lines. Some additional reading may be in order...

Some sections of Staten Island, especially down toward Tottenville, were so rural even into the 1950s, I wonder what roads had these trolley routes. I'll guess the same ones eventually with bus service, Hylan Blvd., Amboy Road, and Arthur Kill Road.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a driver for Shortline Bus for 5 years now. Also, my brother drove for New York Bus Service and been there since the MTA-invasion, oops sorry MTA Takeover.
fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove for the CTA in Chicago summers during college and for (northwest suburban Chicago) United Motor Coach fulltime for two years in the early seventies. Then I took my rightful place in the classroom as an elementary school teacher, which was the reason I went to college!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F.B.,

Sounds a lot like my story only I went on to be an attorney.

Most of the part timers that I worked with were also going through college.

Just a couple of fun summers before we really had to buckle down!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Just a couple of fun summers before we really had to buckle down!

Exactly... altho, at the end of each summer, I had a chance to stay on at the CTA. Salary was decent and I loved buses, so the temptation to stay was strong. But I worried about the stigma of dropping out of college and always returned to school in the fall. I finally acted on my desire to drive full-time once college was over, but, in the end, decided to pursue the teaching career I had studied/trained for.

When I try to figure out why I made that decision, I come up with three reasons (none genuinely convincing). 1.) I didn't want to walk out on my "chosen" career, for which I had trained so hard. 2.) I wasn't sure I could drive 8+ hours a day for the rest of my life. 3.) I was afraid that by being in and around buses (and passengers and traffic) everyday, I might lose my passion for buses as a hobby.
UTC Bus Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishbowl wrote:
I was afraid that by being in and around buses (and passengers and traffic) everyday, I might lose my passion for buses as a hobby.

I can relate to that. I've been a car nut since I was a kid and even though some of my friends went on to be certified mechanics, I always wanted it for a hobby only. I even got some decent offers, but always refused. Then during the rough 70's, I did take a mechanic job for a short while and it did kind of take away from it. ...but not for too long, lol.

Bill
Rt4957

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive for L A Metro

It`s nice that we are getting New equipment from NABI (C45-LFW-05-01s) to keep the daily photo excitement going,,we are up to 8406 which is the 307th bus of the order with 143 to go I suppose,and occasionally there is a new "Mod" that shows up that is different from the rest of the order.

Life can be tough on a daily basis though.
We have a Clause in or contract that states that if you get 3 accidents in 180 months you are Subject to termination,and I have the misfortune of having 2 on the books at the moment (Couple of On board incidents that are being taken to second level appeal) and that does make the daily schedule a semi nerve wracking chore,,but the first is soon to be cleared and I can drive without holding my breath soon.

Rt4957
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think for a minute that I wouldn't have liked to have driven a bus for the rest of my life!

But my grandfather, who was a self made Manhattan 'thousandaire' (millionaires were very rare in those days) would never have permitted it.

In fact, when I told him of my interest in pursuing a career in astronomy he laughed at me and said "what kind of money can you make gazing at stars?".

He then said; "no - you're going into medicine or law - that's where the money is"

Guess what - he was right although I still love to gaze at the stars!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Jimbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked two summers at a bus company cleaning and such. Got my CDL in 1982 (?). Drove transit and coaches part time until 1987. Then drove coaches full time until 2000 (almost exclusively Prevosts Very Happy ). Now in the office. (filling in on school bus runs when needed) Love buses !
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Relative to a deceased driver, does that count?

My Grandfather, on my mothers side, drove Transit and School Buses for the old Coarm Bus Service, Before their Transit division was spun off to CBS Lines Inc.

I don't know the exact dates when he started or when he stopped, but i know he drove while my mother was in school it was in the mid 70's. The Company back then wasn't well funded and often the drivers went with out a pay check. It was more of a the first one to cash their check got the money, if you were last then you were stuck. Its safe to say that my grandfather was one of the first person to cash his check every time he was paid.

He died a month after i was born and a month before CBS Lines Inc was created, also a whole three years before Coarm Bus Service would shut its doors for good.

My mom told me that when my Grandfather use to have a late run when he did transit that she would stay on the bus with him, and he would drop her off at deli near the yard so he could return the bus, as she wasn't permitted to be in the yard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Generation. Enough said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: