BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'SCRTD'S SPECIAL 5303'S'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: 'SCRTD'S SPECIAL 5303'S' Reply with quote

While I'm no maven in matters of Los Angeles buses even though I do live here, once every so often I will spot something of interest (at least to me).

Pictured is fleet number 3006 - a 1968 GM Model S8M-5303A and one of fifteen (3000 to 3014) delivered to the Southern California Rapid Transit District (SCRTD) in May of that year.

While GM Suburbans traditionally came as single door with high back seats, parcel racks and sans standee transoms, I have never seen one equipped with factory fog lights which led me to believe that these buses might have been ex Greyhound.

Signed as 'Not In Service', #3006 is seen deadheading along Wall near 7th. in a rather seedy part of downtown L.A. in a photo taken in April of 1992.

These buses were eventually rebuilt and renumbered in the 5500's and two (3008 and 3013) have been restored and preserved by local collectors.

The SCRTD was one of the more recent predecessors of today's LACMTA.

On a personal note; I had never seen one of these 3000's in operation but I'll wager that they really sounded tough with their V-8's and mechanical shifts!

Photo credit within frame.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

MOVIEBUSES

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: SCRTD 3000's Reply with quote

The 3000's were built to SCRTD specs and were delivered with standard metallic green interiors with green recliners, baggage racks and under floor baggage. These were stick shifts. SCRTD also had the suburban Flx's that were in the 5600 series.

The 3000's were rebuilt in the late 1980's but retained thier same numbers. I had 3008 but later sent it to scrap. They did a horrible job on the rebuilds and also converted them to 3 speed automatics just like the 1000's, 3100 and 3200 series.

The 5500's were 1960 TDH 5301's that were very unique. These were built on a transit bus platforn but had raised pedestals with non reclining high back seats, half baggage racks and a rear door. These were very neat buses but were not suburbans. Any of the SCRTD 5200 series were really neat with speacial interiors also. 5225 thru 5252 were the same as the 5500's but were automatics. All of the 5200's and 5500's rode like a Cadillac and were called "Dreamliners"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Western United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: