BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

L A Metro 8246 Universal City Station

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rt4957

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: L A Metro 8246 Universal City Station Reply with quote

Basking in the Sun on its first trip,6:30AM July 20,2010

Rt4957
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now; that's one nice looking bus! (and my favorite of today's generation).

At least they take the edges off the box and show some semblance of individual design.

Thanks for the respite from the ordinary!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Rt4957

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are really good looking buses,,and they are pretty decent to drive

Interior lighting is LED,,which does glare a bit if you have a night run,Some of us look like we are dodging punches just to get a good outside view in the dark
The Turning Radius that was set at the factory is too wide on some,,but hopefully after the warranty expires,our mechanics will correct it.

There are already some "Phases" of the order
8100-8244 were delivered with "Clear" side windows
8245- the rest have Tinted side windows
8221-around 8243 will "Hurricane" under acceleration,,the engine makes a neat Cyclone sound that sounds really cool.
The "mid to high 8200s will change the headsign automatically when the AVA annunciator downloads for that trip.(OK if you like the standard "Bread & Butter" readings,,I like to use my own codes that are in the headsign memory that are more to the point and one reading that doesn`t change,,like "Northridge" as shown,,the proper code will give "Reseda Bl-Devonshire St)

The engines are so powerful that you really have to feather it to keep from throwing people on the floor.

Rt4957
thehartfordboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rt4957 wrote:
They are really good looking buses,,and they are pretty decent to drive

Interior lighting is LED,,which does glare a bit if you have a night run,Some of us look like we are dodging punches just to get a good outside view in the dark
The Turning Radius that was set at the factory is too wide on some,,but hopefully after the warranty expires,our mechanics will correct it.

There are already some "Phases" of the order
8100-8244 were delivered with "Clear" side windows
8245- the rest have Tinted side windows
8221-around 8243 will "Hurricane" under acceleration,,the engine makes a neat Cyclone sound that sounds really cool.
The "mid to high 8200s will change the headsign automatically when the AVA annunciator downloads for that trip.(OK if you like the standard "Bread & Butter" readings,,I like to use my own codes that are in the headsign memory that are more to the point and one reading that doesn`t change,,like "Northridge" as shown,,the proper code will give "Reseda Bl-Devonshire St)

The engines are so powerful that you really have to feather it to keep from throwing people on the floor.

Rt4957

Is the ODK Luminator, or is the bus using Clever Device, Orbital, or any other AVAs that changes the signs.
Rt4957

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Headsign is Luminator,,the radio is Orbital

Guess there is an interface between the two,,Only problem is some of the "Einstein" Programmers have put the wrong headsign code into the AVA file.

With these new Luminator signs,,the only give you a couple chances if you input a wrong code,,if it isn`t corrected,,it goes into a "Watchdog" reset,,sometimes rendering the headsign blank,,occasionally the whole system of Headsign Side,rear and Bus Run will be Black Blank.

Another problem is if the radio loses its GPS Signal,,the Radio Goes "Off Route" And the headsign will display "Not In service"

Buggy,,I`d just prefer to change my codes at the end of the line and be done.

rt4957
OCTA3053

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice photo Mr RT.

These newer 2009-2010 Compos have the Allison World GenIV transmission. The Cummins ISL-G engine are very powerful. OCTA repowered all the NABIs in 2008 with this same engine. I totally agree with you regarding passenger comfort...you do have to feather it. Sometimes I just apply a little throttle, that way it shifts at lower RPM.

The LAX NABIs have the same engine as in the 8100s but with ZF Transmissions...which I think is better because they shift at a lower range.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short note to Octa 3053. Please refer to poster Rt4957 as something else than Mr. RT, since there is an occasional poster (and good friend of mine) who goes by the handle of Mr. RT, in order not to create confusion.

You can check the roster to verify my statement.

Cordially

Alan Aron a/k/a Hart Bus
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can count on Luminator products NOT working properly at most any time. Add annunciators and other gadgets to 'em and you're really looking for trouble.

Formatting the displays is amazingly difficult, and their software is not intuitive in any way, nor is anything you order from them reasonably priced.

Ours in Louisville are simply destination signs that upload with an SD card. The kind nobody makes any more (can't use compact SD cards, they don't work). You can find them on Ebay and elsewhere on some electronic sales websites for a buck or two each, but Luminator wants $225 each for them!

Fortunately, our field rep is easy to get hold of and can generally troubleshoot anything we have going wrong in fairly quick order.

timecruncher
Rt4957

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one yesterday ,,8326,that almost went blank since I had to change assignments Mid Route and had a bad code in the system,Looked up and was flashing "Invalid Code Please Use new Destination,Brand New bus too,,would have hated to kill the headsign.

Me,,I`d be tempted to unplug the interface plug,,but unfortunately,,cant be "Tampering" with equipment,,even if for the greater good.

We`ve got 4 Local C45s that hae had blank headsigns for 3 months,,and nothing looks tackier than a Cardboard Sign on a Brand New Bus.

I was tempted once to go find some White Shoepolish and Go Tijuana Headsign style on the windshield,,but would probably only get in a few days off worth of trouble
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: