BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about the late 70`s TRANSBUS demos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rt4957

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Question about the late 70`s TRANSBUS demos Reply with quote

Curious about an urban legend that one of the GM Transbus demos still exists somewhere in Arizona,,Anyone know if this is true??

Did any of the RTXs (as I guess they were called) have turbine power for the engine?

Anyone ever see one operate,,or ride one somehow??

Curious as these were the Pops to what we drive now,,albeit Test tube donors but Pops nonetheless.

Phil
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil:

I wasn't into buses at that time so I can't say that I "stalked one out" and rode it. There are pictures of the GMC transbus in front of a Department Store on Sunrise Highway in Valley Stream, NY as a demo.

Alan
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,

The attached data might give you some more insight.

Also, be aware that it was GM's habit (in most cases) to destroy experiments probably because they didn't want them to wind up in the wrong hands! (rumors have it that the Transbus was destroyed in the seventies).

Here's a little more info;

Design started in '64-65; built between '68 & '69
- First implementation of modular body concept
- Low floor, 40', three-axle design with Firestone LXX tires
- Co-operation between GM Truck & Coach, GM Research Labs
- Powered by GM GT-309 gas turbine coupled through toric-type (CVT) transmission (same powertrain as TurboCruiser III)
- First display of kneeling suspension on GM coach (?)
- Interior was designed as suburban-style; used mostly high-back bucket seating
- Design directly influenced GM's Transbus entry in '73
- Presumably scrapped by GM in late '70s (bus was shown at Transpo '72), was NOT rebuilt into any of the three Transbus prototypes.

Hope this helps,

Image courtesy of GM Photographic.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' -

Many Thanks! Much wonder here at this end? Why GM wanted a tandem rear? Hints they experienced some unwanted weight problems?

The "corporate culture" in place, anyway. They went thru the axle spacing and weights problems with the California TDH-48-- types...

.........................Vern.......................
Stevep

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about the late 70`s TRANSBUS demos Reply with quote

Rt4957 wrote:
Curious about an urban legend that one of the GM Transbus demos still exists somewhere in Arizona,,Anyone know if this is true??

Did any of the RTXs (as I guess they were called) have turbine power for the engine?

Anyone ever see one operate,,or ride one somehow??

Curious as these were the Pops to what we drive now,,albeit Test tube donors but Pops nonetheless.

Phil

On this page there is a video of the RTX in operation. It does say it was gas-turbine powered.
http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/1968_Rapid_Transit_Experimental_-_Revolutionizing_Transit_Bus_Design
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
Mr 'L' -

Many Thanks! Much wonder here at this end? Why GM wanted a tandem rear? Hints they experienced some unwanted weight problems?

The "corporate culture" in place, anyway. They went thru the axle spacing and weights problems with the California TDH-48-- types...

.........................Vern.......................

Vern,

You bring up the weight problems and the reason for the 4801 in California back when which reminds me of something I only read of recently;

Forty foot long buses were never permitted in New York State until 1959 (whether it had to do with weight considerations or what, I don't know).

In spite of this ruling, New York City bought 400 40 foot TDH 5101's in 1948 and, in 1952, a number of private operators in New York purchased TDH 5104's which were also 40 feet in length.

I now find out that the state law was skirted for these buses because the city's 'home rule' statute superseded it.

Just trivial information.

Regards and Happy New Year,

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' - Stevep - All -

Indeed! From what I have read, the California problems had everything to do with Bridge Formula prescribed
axle weights and spacing guidelines. Thanks for noting New York City at conflict with State requirements (which,
in the era, did not embrace the Western States weight, size and length mandates). The home rule tenet for
the City helped the forty (40) ft. OAL problem.

At the time, some of the State agencies were not at all happy with forty (40) ft. OAL and 102" width.
Baltimore Transit had some, and the company must have made peace with the State and City of Baltimore,
somehow...

Gas Turbine on the GMC shown here (above in thread)? Oh, my, another hardware fad that came and went.
The power plants used briefly on some Class 8 Highway Trucks, and proved less than satisfactory...

Season's Greetings and Happy New Year to All!

......................Vern....................
dsevil

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about the late 70`s TRANSBUS demos Reply with quote

Stevep wrote:
On this page there is a video of the RTX in operation. It does say it was gas-turbine powered.
http://history.gmheritagecenter.com/wiki/index.php/1968_Rapid_Transit_Experimental_-_Revolutionizing_Transit_Bus_Design

Wow, that really makes me wonder why CVTs for transit buses haven't caught on yet and why it took so long for manufacturers to start making new-floor models.

Also makes me wonder what crazy concepts they were cooking up before the New Look came out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: