BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B23, Cortelyou Road

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: B23, Cortelyou Road Reply with quote

Sorry to remind folks, but on June 27, service on the famous Brooklyn bus route, B23 Cortelyou Road, is to be discontinued. At least, it was famous for me. When Brooklyn fares were a nickel, and I would ride PCC's on Coney Island Avenue, sitting to the left of the turnstile, the wires at Cortelyou Road would catch my interest. B-23 was once a streetcar line, but beginning around 1930 it began the BMT's adventure with trackless trolleys. I may have seen one of the old fleet at that intersection before the St. Louis trackless coaches were built.
This links to a photo in the Bus Talk Gallery showing one of the original vehicles:
http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pid=1002&fullsize=1
----
This links to a later photo showing a trackless trolley in service on B23 about 1948-1956.
http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=243&pos=4
----
The loop in front of the BMT station on the south side of 62nd Street is now a parking lot for TA employees. On the north side of 62nd Street is the B23 starting point, with a notice yesterday reminding passengers that the bus stop is out of service 6/27/2010.
----
I rode more than half of the route yesterday. With many on-and-off customers, we carried 15 to 18 throughout. It is a good route for transfers. Like the B16, it is slowed by heavy traffic across this part of Brooklyn.
Joe McMahon

B53RICH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more photos of the B23 also available on Bus Talk Galleries:

GM 5106 #9117 at Dahill & Cortelyou Roads, taken July 27, 1969 by Joe Testagrose.

Flxible #9056 at 62nd Street & New Utrecht Avenue. Photograph taken November 5, 1981 by Steve Zabel; collection of Joe Testagrose.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a 9100 (slider) after the end of its second life in Jersey;

Enjoy,

Mr. 'L'

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection, which can be wrong, is that buses like 9117 with the sliding windows were the first on B39 - Williamsburg Bridge. However, were there other GM's in the 9000 numbers that had double-width front entrance doors?
Joe
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember, all the Old Look 9000's had the same width front doors. I only noticed these when several were sent to Fresh Pond just before they were retired around 1973. There were the TDH 5101's in the upper 4000 series which had the wider width front doors. These were retired during the 1960's . As a kid during the 60's, I have really no recollection of these personally. Maybe it was these that you saw the wider doors on.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, I can shed a bit more light on this subject.

The city's 5101's dating from 1948 and numbered 4500 to 4899 all had 'double stream' front doors.

The only other GM product to have such doors operating in the city were the 5104's of Fifth Avenue Coach numbered 2502 to 2551 and those doors were in the rear.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Maybe, I can shed a bit more light on this subject.

The city's 5101's dating from 1948 and numbered 4500 to 4899 all had 'double stream' front doors.

The only other GM product to have such doors operating in the city were the 5104's of Fifth Avenue Coach numbered 2502 to 2551 and those doors were in the rear.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

An example of the 5101's still exists today. It was originally bus 4789 (serial # 290) now renumbered 2969 and is called "The Jackie Gleason Bus". I know that bus #4549 and bus #4599 are long scrapped since I bought those "ID plates" two years ago at the Rutgers Show
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to make one correction before the boys at GMOldLook catch me!

There was another 5101 with 'double stream' front doors built in the guise of a TDH 5102 with fleet number 2501 as a demonstrator for Fifth Avenue Coach (center photo) and was eventually purchased by the company and ran mostly on the Jackson Heights to Manhattan route.

Other than a few very minor details, this bus was an exact replica of the 5101 right down to the short 4509/10 wheelbase.

Top photo is the only known 5101 example that still exists and is preserved by the MTA Museum and carries the 'Gleason' fleet number.

The lower frame depicts the fate of all the rest of the 5101's as well as the 4510's.

Enjoy.

Mr. 'L'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: