BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'ARE THE NEW PEDESTRIAN PLAZAS WORKING FOR BUSES?'
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: 'ARE THE NEW PEDESTRIAN PLAZAS WORKING FOR BUSES?' Reply with quote

They're a Hit Among Tourist, but the Times Sq. Plazas Slow Many Bus Trips

By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM
Published: May 20, 2010 The New York Times.

The pedestrian plazas in Times and Herald Squares have been promoted by the Bloomberg administration as a marquee achievement in its quest to create a safer and more pleasing street scape, friendlier to tourists and merchants alike.

For some bus riders, however, the results have not been as positive.

Passengers trying to get downtown through the Times Square area have experienced longer travel times on four out of five affected bus routes, according to a report from New York City Transit, which operates the city’s bus system.

In the worst case, the M6 bus took more than 10 minutes longer to complete its route from Central Park to Union Square in the evening rush, meaning riders had to spend about 25 percent more time to finish the trip.

The report attributed the slower rides to increased congestion, longer routes and new turns required by the closing of several blocks of Broadway. It also said that the rerouting of buses and other traffic onto Seventh Avenue “appears to have caused congestion,” an assertion that the Bloomberg administration rejected.

Buses that travel north on Avenue of the Americas were not rerouted. They benefited from the city’s simplification of the intersection at Herald Square, shaving an average of 14 percent, or 90 seconds, off their travel times between 14th and 34th Streets, the report said.

The bus data was collected by New York City Transit in October and provided to the city’s Transportation Department. The report was not made public until this week, after repeated requests from The New York Times.

In February, when Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg announced that the plazas would be made permanent, the Transportation Department distributed its own report on the project’s impact on traffic. In it, the city noted that bus travel speeds around Times Square had “fallen slightly.”

The city’s report emphasized GPS data from taxicabs in measuring traffic flow.

In a paragraph describing the impact on buses, some routes were described generally as having “encountered larger delays and reduced speeds due to the introduction of more turns, which are subject to pedestrian interference.” No route-by-route breakdown was provided.

Janette Sadik-Khan, the transportation commissioner, said in an interview that the extended travel times did not reflect the average experience of a rider.

“You don’t take the M6 from the beginning of the line to the end,” Ms. Sadik-Khan said. “A lot of trips are for just a few blocks.”

Furthermore, she said, the consolidation of bus routes along Seventh Avenue meant that riders in that corridor did not have to wait as long for a bus to arrive, offsetting any delays onboard. “Buses now come every minute, which is a huge improvement for passengers,” she said.

To accommodate the changes to the street grid, five bus lines were rerouted and some were made longer. The average increase in travel time on those routes ranged from one to seven minutes. One route, the M20, was three minutes faster between 42nd and 14th Streets but about a minute slower above 42nd Street.

Ms. Sadik-Khan, who supervised the pedestrian plaza project, pointed to the new, longer routes as a culprit. “I take exception to the claim that the rerouting has caused congestion,” she said.

No major complaints from the public about the changes in bus service were received by New York City Transit, its report said.

The pedestrian plazas have received positive reviews for the aesthetic improvements to an area once known for gridlock and crammed sidewalks.

But the project, primarily intended to improve traffic flow, has fallen somewhat short of its anti-gridlock goals: Traffic speeds slowed on Eighth and Ninth Avenues and on many crosstown streets. Over all, vehicular traffic sped up along Seventh and Sixth Avenues, but less than the city had hoped.

Told of the bus report, the city’s public advocate, Bill de Blasio, said he was concerned that the data was not shared sooner.

“Communities cannot be engaged if they are kept in the dark about reports like this,” he said.

Business leaders said their constituents remained pleased.

“I measure these things on utilitarian grounds,” said Dan Biederman, the president of the 34th Street Partnership. “Is the 34th Street district better on behalf of the city’s work? Yes.”

Mr. Biederman marveled at the traffic improvements on Sixth Avenue, noting that before the changes, “I could have crawled north faster.”

Still, he said that congestion at 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue, where buses must now turn left to reconnect with Broadway, required attention. “It’s a bad situation,” he said. “The owners do not like having a bus depot in the middle of a retail block.”

Photo by Ruby Washington of the Times.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

The M6 bus, rerouted because of the pedestrian plazas, takes more than 10 minutes longer in the evening rush to go from Central Park to Union Square. Three other routes are also slower.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' -

Sigh! Just one more line of thought from the urban planning types. The general and zealous belief the cities are to be saved by cutesy gimmicks.
Whether any of the betterments do any good is not to be discussed!

.......................Vern.....................
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vern,

I'm just hoping against hope that the next Mayor of the City New York has enough sense to put things back the way they're supposed to be!

What's the matter? tourists don't have enough places to hang out? how about Central Park, the top of the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center or a tour of the one hundred and some odd subway stations in the city!

The idea is good except when it poses 'roadblocks' to the conducting of business in Manhattan - then it's bad!

Give me a break!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 'L' -

If you like that one, you just gotta' love the silliness of the Light Rail Zealots. Stuff like grabbing active traffic lanes from busy roadways, and
diversion to the "Super Street Cars"... The knee slappingly funny nonsense that "Transit Oriented Development" along the way is Promised
Deliverance of failing retail areas. (Oh, all property owners: Don't look at what this does to Property Tax "voluntary grant assessments"!
Be sure your cardiologist says it is OK before you look!)

...................Vern......................
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, guys - I visited Times Square last summer with my family and a few friends and I thought the new plazas are actually an improvement to the overall visitor experience. I think the solution to better bus service is by continuing to work towards limited the amount of vehicles on Manhattan streets, presumably using a congestion-pricing scheme.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
...I think the solution to better bus service is by continuing to work towards limited the amount of vehicles on Manhattan streets, presumably using a congestion-pricing scheme...

RailBus63 -

More fad stuff from the less than imaginative minds of the unelected urban planning types? What? This from some sort of well meaning cabal,
already with much success in driving (pardon the pun) major employers from Manhattan, to points far removed in CT, NJ, otherwise in NY, and
elsewhere? Much of what such schemes do is simply chase people away...

Hey! Here's a thought in reduction of nasty vehicle volumes. Let's have a widespread and deep economic depression, so many get to stay
home and watch daytime TV! At least, this way, all share the pain! If they want some other ideas, they ought to "drop a dime" and catch up
with the geniuses who labor at making Baltimore and Maryland such an attractive business environment!

........................Vern.......................
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
More fad stuff from the less than imaginative minds of the unelected urban planning types? What? This from some sort of well meaning cabal, already with much success in driving (pardon the pun) major employers from Manhattan, to points far removed in CT, NJ, otherwise in NY, and elsewhere? Much of what such schemes do is simply chase people away...

Is congestion pricing really much different than a toll highway, though? You have high demand and limited road capacity in both cases. I also don't see this proposal damaging Manhattan's status as one of the world's elite business and tourism centers, especially since the money raised through tolls can be utilized to improve mass transportation options.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I'm just hoping against hope that the next Mayor of the City New York has enough sense to put things back the way they're supposed to be!

The idea is good except when it poses 'roadblocks' to the conducting of business in Manhattan - then it's bad!

The way it's "supposed to be" in Manhattan is convenient transit and pedestrian access to businesses, not vehicular access to the front door. Anyone who walked through Times or Herald Square pre-closure knows there was not enough space for pedestrians. What's more, eliminating the Broadway leg from the intersections eliminated a signal phase, which reduces delay for all vehicles - even if it means increasing travel times for a couple of bus routes because the routes are longer and have left turns.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 - All -

To begin, I have a healthy respect for the truths that the Five Boros issues are so daunting, better to leave how it is done to those with
daily experience just doing it.

"Congestion Pricing" is simply civic suicide. Just another tax, and increase of costs of doing business in the City. It on top of endless taxes,
fees, and other legalized shakedowns. In your response, you hint at a cachet about a Manhattan address. That may only be worked just so far...

Besides, isn't this "congestion pricing" fad a bit of a statement whether: The city should more favor the tourist market, compared with business
operators? Businesses, for the most part, cannot control time of day its essential vehicles are on the streets.

Something of an, Oh, BTW. The analogy of the (nasty) congestion pricing, compared with toll facilities. Usually, toll routes may be avoided.
Compare, to avoid congestion pricing, a business must go about its activities at 3:00 am? It hints at a larger issue here, in that toll highway
facilities are bad faith with the users. The presence of the device states a failure of prudent financial policy in use of public tax money, IMHO...

The whole matter is so contentious, I have no enthusiasm to comment on it more, and simply waste bandwidth here. Just mark me down in
the column that congestion pricing is bad news, and will hurt a jurisdiction much more than it can possibly help...

......................Vern.........................
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
"Congestion Pricing" is simply civic suicide. Just another tax, and increase of costs of doing business in the City. It on top of endless taxes,
fees, and other legalized shakedowns.

The streets have to be paid for somehow. You can call congestion pricing a "tax," but it is only a tax on the users of those streets. Otherwise, the monet comes from taxes on people filling up at gas stations in Rochester, or property owners in Queens who take the subway into Manhattan. Which "legalized shakedown" is preferable?
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manhattan seems to be the ideal place to implement some form of congestion pricing. It is an island with limited entry points. The city has the benefit of an extensive network of mass transit routes, including commuter railroads and premium express coaches used by many higher-income employees. I haven’t seen data, but I’m guessing that the income of the typical private vehicle driver is somewhat higher than the city’s other four boroughs (and discounts and/or exceptions can be made for lower-income residents on the north end of the island). I doubt that a five or ten-dollar daily fee is going to discourage higher-income Manhattan residents who own automobiles, nor is it likely to deter the typical tourist family.

I’ve become increasingly convinced that our country needs to devise a more equitable means to financing the maintenance and further development of transportation infrastructure. Ideally, this should be based on a per-mile or per-trip fee with variable-pricing mechanisms in place to incentivize usage at times other than peak hours. The bottom line is, users should pay a fair price for what they use and when they use it, be it mass transportation, roadways or the air and passenger rail networks.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 - RailBus63 - All -

Congestion pricing hints at other, more serious flaws in current financing schemes. Yes, indeed, the Nation has no rational Transport Policy at
all for many decades.

A problem with congestion pricing is simply one more fad addressing specific problems of difficult to manage urban areas. It does not protect
interests of those not dependent on major metro sites.

The cities can do whatever they want, and (it is hoped) distribute the pains amongst their local residents. Folks in places (ex.) like American
Falls, ID, Hays, KS and Susanville, CA can live without these high falutin' concepts...

.........................Vern.................
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
I doubt that a five or ten-dollar daily fee is going to discourage higher-income Manhattan residents who own automobiles, nor is it likely to deter the typical tourist family.

IIRC, Manhattan residents were exempt. Users of existing toll facilities would also be unaffected.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
The cities can do whatever they want, and (it is hoped) distribute the pains amongst their local residents. Folks in places (ex.) like American
Falls, ID, Hays, KS and Susanville, CA can live without these high falutin' concepts...

Obviously. Has there been a proposal to implement congestion pricing in Hays, KS? And would it be fair to ask those people to pay for, say, an extension of I-635 in Overland Park?
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
RailBus63 wrote:
I doubt that a five or ten-dollar daily fee is going to discourage higher-income Manhattan residents who own automobiles, nor is it likely to deter the typical tourist family.

IIRC, Manhattan residents were exempt. Users of existing toll facilities would also be unaffected.

ripta42 -

Oh, that is too, too cute. It gets right back to my premise: Highway funding schemes are a complete mess.

Gotta' nail dem schleps who come over from Jersey every morning, right? <G>

...................Vern....................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: