BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick report on the NY Metro Bus Assn Trip to Spring Fling.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hobbyist Trips, Events, Outings, & Meetings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Quick report on the NY Metro Bus Assn Trip to Spring Fling. Reply with quote

This was my first trip with this group. Notable among the passengers were Mr. & Mrs. Eddie Crew, Mr. & Mrs Sidney Keyles, Gary (the organizer) and his son Andrew along with several faces I had seen at other events.

The Coach Tours (not Coach # VIP 28 left 41st and Eight Ave promptly at
8:00 AM arriving at MOBT in Hersey at 11:00 AM. In the main building was the "Forest Gump" bus, where Ginny rides away from Washington DC. We were also granted acess to the car museum on the upper level. A whole room is devoted to muscle cars that I remember. Couldn't decide between the winged Super Bee, Dodge Charger Daytona or 401 c.i. AMC Javelin, with the flared fenders to try and steal.

Then got on a shuttle van to the warehouse area. This held the rest of the collection as well as the vendors. Two new (and pleasant surprises) were the addition of Long Beach 4701 (first RTS) and JBL 3001 a fishbowl.
I also took pictures of ex-Harran 1954 Flxible Clipper. I now have "before pictures" of the Flx and 3001 when on Long Island and "after pictures" in their new home.

We left at 1PM and went to Lebanon to see the Colt Terminal in Lebanon Disapppointing. It is a small building at the corner of a parking lot that
has a desk to give out schedules. The buses, mostly Gilligs, are all painted in different schemes. This is reminiscent of the old Braniff airline's trick of painting all planes in different colors. At that time if you could prove you had flown on at least one plane of each color you got a free flight.

Then it was off to Mannheim to see the last surviving trolley in Lancaster.
It is a single truck Brill that runs on a 150 ft track (about 12 car widths) along a street curb.

Then to Lancaster (city) to photograph an old PCC and then view the Red Rose Terminal. This is a series of concrete islands where the transits pull in to load and go. There is a waiting room and info desk. My guess is that the overhead building may be corporate offices. Since the stop was to be 45 minutes I walked up and down a few streets looking (and finding) a place for iced coffe.

It was now 4:45 and we left to go the the Shady Grove buffet. This place is huge. We were the 12th tour bus to show up. They have a separate huge dining hall just for tour buses and tables are reserved for each group based upon the color of the card. The other side of the kitchen is bigger (slightly more selectins) and is for walk-ins.

Left around 7:00 and after dropping Mr & Mrs Keyles and another couple, we arrived at 34th/Eight at 9:45, where many people disembarked for Penn Station or subways going south to Brooklyn.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I saw Eddie, there was no Mrs. Crew! You'll have to pass on my congratulations. Very Happy
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
The last time I saw Eddie, there was no Mrs. Crew! You'll have to pass on my congratulations. Very Happy

I have seen Eddie at several Rutgers shows and at several Bus Festivals in
downtown Brooklyn. He was always by himself.

Never saw him in the company of anyone. Never thought about it since bus-fanning is predominately a male thing, so its not unusual to see fellows there without spouses.

This gal was about Ed's age and is walking with a cane. Don't know if its a hip problems or not.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most wives/girlfriends stay away from transit-related events Smile. Eddie was accompanied at some of our monthly transportation planners' meetings several years ago; don't know if it's the same woman or not, but she seemed very nice. He's a great guy and I'm really happy for him.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not formally introduced to her, but seemed to be about 5'3"-5'6" tall, stocky and had slightly darker skin than Eddie.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you guys had a nice trip. I have never heard of The Metro New York Bus Association. Can you post some more info on it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hobbyist Trips, Events, Outings, & Meetings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: