BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Many??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bdoon51

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: How Many?????? Reply with quote

Does anyone out there in the Cyberzone know approx how many transit buses there are in the USA and what percentage were manufacured in that same nation? The USA?

What share of the World transit buses USA manufacurers have?

Thanking you (profusely) in advance. Laughing
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdoon,

Firstly, let me welcome you to BusTalk and say that we look forward to your valued input.

I think our man on statistics Q65A could probably give you the best numbers on U.S. operations and production - I can only take an educated stab at it;

As far as what share of the world's transit buses are U.S. made - I would have to say almost none merely because what buses that are fabricated here in the states are done so by foreign companies.

Under the 'Buy American' concept, any buses purchased for use in the U.S. must be at least partially made here with a certain percentage of U.S. parts.

As peculiar as it may seem, when virtually all buses for U.S. consumption were made in the U.S. prior to the 1990's, only hands-full were ever exported.

As far as how many transit buses now operate in the U.S., I would have to say that anywhere from thirty-five to fifty thousand might be in the ball park - but this is only a rough estimate.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdoon51 -

It may be useful to contact APTA (American Passenger Transportation Association), Washington concerning industry facts.

FTA (Federal Transit Admin) (part of US DOT) likely has some facts and stats about numbers of coaches in its stewardship.

(Esteemed Colleagues: Pitch in here if I don't have it right! After all, I'm an old freight guy!)

....................Vern.......................
bdoon51

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply yo Mr L Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
bdoon,

Firstly, let me welcome you to BusTalk and say that we look forward to your valued input.

I think our man on statistics Q65A could probably give you the best numbers on U.S. operations and production - I can only take an educated stab at it;

As far as what share of the world's transit buses are U.S. made - I would have to say almost none merely because what buses that are fabricated here in the states are done so by foreign companies.

Under the 'Buy American' concept, any buses purchased for use in the U.S. must be at least partially made here with a certain percentage of U.S. parts.

As peculiar as it may seem, when virtually all buses for U.S. consumption were made in the U.S. prior to the 1990's, only hands-full were ever exported.

As far as how many transit buses now operate in the U.S., I would have to say that anywhere from thirty-five to fifty thousand might be in the ball park - but this is only a rough estimate.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Thank you for responding. I do not know who the statistics guy is you refer to or how to contact. I will contact APTA however. This site seems like it may be a good source of feedback and opinion. I am in Howard County, MD.

Brian
bdoon51

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
bdoon51 -

It may be useful to contact APTA (American Passenger Transportation Association), Washington concerning industry facts.

FTA (Federal Transit Admin) (part of US DOT) likely has some facts and stats about numbers of coaches in its stewardship.

(Esteemed Colleagues: Pitch in here if I don't have it right! After all, I'm an old freight guy!)

....................Vern.......................

thanks Vern

appreciate your fedback. I will contact APTA.

I am in Howard County, MD...currently in temporary quarters in Columbia, MD.

Brian
Rick

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gillig is a US manufacturer. Most of the others on the transit side are multi-national with final assembly completed in the US.

Most , if not all, small buses (body-on-chassis) are domestically produced (Goshen, Startrans, ElDorado).
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestions about the APTA and ABA are very good ones.
The FTA website may be helpful:
http://www.fta.dot.gov/
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.apta.com

The place to find all happy facts about transit in the U.S.

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: