BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: New Member Reply with quote

Hello! My name is Hank. My interest in buses is due to my Dad having been a driver for the NYCTA, and its predecesors, approximately from 1946 to 1972 on Staten Island. He was particularly fond of Macks. I've bought a few books on buses of that era, and found this site while doing an online search. I look forward to browsing your topics, and learning more about a lot of related subjects.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank G,

I second ripta42's motion in welcoming you aboard, and we certainly look forward to what sounds like very interesting contributions regarding Richmond County.

There is a little history about both Staten Island Coach Company and Isle Transportation among the posts in 'Bus Nostalgia' which might interest you.

Enjoy the nostalgic attachment circa 1930 Staten Island Coach.

Regards,

Photo courtesy of NYPL Digital Gallery

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hankg42

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for the welcome.

Somewhere in a shoebox at home I have a picture of my Dad and me taken standing along side a bus in Richmondtown, the end of the line for route 114 (they've changed since then) that he was driving at the time. It might show the bus number on it. I think I may have been 5 or 6. When I can dig it up, I'll scan it and post it. I think that's the only picture I have of a NYCTA bus.
Hankg42

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Picture with my Dad Reply with quote

It took me a while to dig this out and scan it, but this is the picture I had promised to post. Apparently, my memory was a bit rusty. Thank God my Mom wrote on the back of every picture she took. This was taken of my Dad (Paul) and me (Hank) in June of 1953 (3 months before my 3rd birthday!) in Tottenville, on Staten Island. So I'm guessing it was the end of the line for the R113. (Could have been the R103, but Dad didn't select that route very often.) The bus appears to be a Mack, and obviously the first digit of the fleet number is a "1". Dad is dressed in his summer khaki's. In the winter they wore a heavy dark green uniform with silver buttons that looked very military. Perhaps one of the many experts here can identify the bus a bit better than I can. Thanks!

Last edited by Hankg42 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank,

Certainly a couple of good looking young fellows in that photo.

The bus is a Mack (without question) and appears to be in New York City Transit livery.

It was when Isle Transportation, which was the successor to Staten Island Coach Company, was taken over by New York in 1947, that the city purchased 28 Mack Model C-45-GT's (gas jobs) numbered from 1601 to 1628 which were delivered in the last months of that year.

These buses, which were the first Mack's ever purchased by the city, replaced Isle's aging ACF fleet which dated back to the early thirties.

One survivor (pictured) was converted to a service car and sent to the Queens Bus Division.

If you look very closely at your photograph you'll note just the edge of the second number which is a 6.

Hope that this information helps you.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Hankg42

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the compliment ( Smile ), and for the additional information. I find myself spending a lot more time here reading posts than I probably should, but there is a LOT of interesting information. Thanks, again.

Edit: One more thing I just remembered. Dad said that when he first started, he drove some White buses. I'm guessing they must have been pretty old.
janet986w

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello !
I am also a new member. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guy !

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janet,

New members are always warmly welcomed here at BusTalk. and I would take this opportunity to say that we look forward to your valued contributions.

'Welcome aboard'!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: