BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'SAY GOOD BYE TO THE CROWN VIC'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: 'SAY GOOD BYE TO THE CROWN VIC' Reply with quote

'Ford's Ubiquitous Police Car is Getting Pulled Over'

The Crown Victoria, which dominates the patrol car market, will be replaced by Ford's Police Interceptor next year.

By Nathan Olivarez-Giles - March 15, 2010 The Los Angeles Times

The Ford Crown Victoria police car, which for nearly three decades has been the star of high-speed chases and an unwelcome sight in rearview mirrors, is being phased out.

Ford unveiled its new patrol car, the Police Interceptor, at an event Friday at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway attended by fleet buyers and law enforcement officials.

The new car was designed to be faster, safer and stronger, and will come packed with advanced technology.

But for some at the unveiling, it was a nostalgic occasion.

"I'm sad to see the Crown Vic go," said Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy Rob Robinson, who has been on the force for 27 years.

For the last 10 years he's been a driving instructor for the department.

"Everybody knows that car, how to drive it and how to work on it. And the new car is, in a lot of ways, superior, and I'm excited about it.

"But it's also just new."

The Crown Victoria police car, which debuted in 1983, will not be going away any time soon. Ford will be making them until late next year -- about the same time that Police Interceptors will start coming off the production line.

And it's uncertain when police departments, feeling budget constraints, will be able to place orders for the new cars.

Ford didn't disclose prices at the event. The Crown Victoria police car has a base price of about $27,000.

Ford also makes a Crown Victoria model for consumers -- it's also being phased out next year.

The Police Interceptor will be built on the same platform as Ford's 2010 Taurus.

But company spokesman Said Deep said that about 90% of the Police Interceptor has been engineered specifically for law enforcement use.

"It shares some sheet metal [with the Taurus], but it's a very different car," Deep said.

Inside, the seats have cutouts that accommodate police-issue utility belts. They are also narrower to allow officers to get in and out quickly.

The gear shifter is on the steering column to free up space between the front seats for gear.

That space is 9 inches, the same as in the Crown Victoria, so that existing equipment can fit.

The rear door panels swing out 10 degrees farther than on a regular Taurus to make it easier to get detainees in and out.

Also, the police version will have a larger trunk to accommodate equipment.

The new prowl cars will be offered in front and all wheel drive versions with either a 263 or a 365 horsepower V6 engine.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

The Ford Police Interceptor Concept car is shown in an image provided by the company. It will be built on the 2010 Taurus platform. (Ford Motor Co. / Associated Press)

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 'SAY GOOD BYE TO THE CROWN VIC' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Ford also makes a Crown Victoria model for consumers -- it's also being phased out next year.

I'm guessing this is also the end of the Grand Marquis.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

That's a safe bet because they're made on the same platform and I think Mercury may already have a model comparable to the new Taurus.

I do know that, by popular demand among livery operators, the Lincoln Town Car will continue and is now being made in a separate factory in Canada.

In a way, I'm sorry to see the Crown Vic go - it was one tough Ford!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, and Town Car are all built at the St. Thomas plant, which Ford has already said is closing in September 2011. They just haven't made an official announcement about the fate of the product lines.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

The people who take me back and forth to the airport had indicated a couple of months ago that their association, which is apparently nationwide, has had talks with Ford Marketing and they have been assured that the Town Car (whether the present model, or a new one) will continue in production.

I personally think it would be foolish for Ford to discontinue the line especially when you consider the niche that it has made for itself and the fact that there would be no other American built vehicle to take its place.

I also think it's foolish that they are going to drop the Crown Vic which has been the backbone of taxi and police fleets for so many years, and it seems as though there are a lot of law enforcement agencies that agree with me!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to talk about real 'Police Cars'?

Pictured below is a 1941 Plymouth Coupe operating for the then Grand Central Parkway Precinct of the New York City Police Department.

The car, at that time, was very technologically advanced and actually had 'two way' radio communication as can be seen by the whip antenna rising from the front fender - oh, and a siren too!

The name 'Grand Central Parkway' was changed in the late forties to 'Motorcycle 3' and, in later years, was changed again to 'Highway Patrol'

The snappily dressed officer in full regalia was normally assigned to a motor cycle and only used patrol cars in night hours and inclement weather.

The livery of the day was a very dark green body with black fenders and a white roof.

Photo was taken in January of 1941 at the GCP facility just east of 188th. Street on the parkway itself and is courtesy of NYPD Archives.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: