BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[RI] RIPTA's next new buses will be...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: [RI] RIPTA's next new buses will be... Reply with quote

...more Gilligs; surprise, surprise! The Board of Directors unanimously approved an award for approximately 63 low-floor BRT-style buses, which will be a mix of hybrid and clean-diesel. The final decision will be made around March. These buses will retire the 1992 TMC and 1998 NovaBus RTSes.

RIPTA also plans on repowering its fleet of 2004 Orion Vs due to engine defects.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gillig takeover of small and medium-sized New England TA's continues ...
Mr. Transit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42, do you know the contract is worth?
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An estimated $39,312,378 of ARRA funds.
Mr. Transit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta, thanks for the info.
geforce2187

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking at the Wikipedia fleet list and it looks outdated. Have all of the 92xx and 98xx buses been retired? They are still listed as in service. And what is the disposition of 1073? Totaled or can it be repaired?
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wiki roster hasn't been updated in nearly a year (and I was the last to do it). I haven't seen an RTS on the road in months (even the 2000s), but my observations are extremely limited. There were a pair of 1992s parked behind the Cranston Street Armory a few weeks ago, but they're gone now.

I don't know what the fate of 1073 is/will be. (For those who don't know the significance, the driver suffered a "medical condition" and hit a tree on October 11.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just went through an RFP for new buses, and while I can't divulge the manufacturer who had the highest score (it hasn't been approved by our board yet), there are no suprises.

There were some suprises from our maintenance department people on the evaluation team, though. More at 11...

timecruncher
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
We just went through an RFP for new buses, and while I can't divulge the manufacturer who had the highest score (it hasn't been approved by our board yet), there are no suprises.

There were some suprises from our maintenance department people on the evaluation team, though. More at 11...

timecruncher

Keep us updated if you can, Cliff - I'd be interested in hearing more about this when it becomes official.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the number series of the hybrid bus group is? I'm assuming it's 1021-1073 since there is a publicity photo in the Authority's strategic plan document of #1021 and we know #1073 was wrecked.
geforce2187

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For hybrids I think i've seen up to 1074. After that there's a few Gillig BRT's that are smaller but non hybrid. Aside from being smaller they also have different paint. I've seen up to maybe 1083 for those, not sure.

Also I think the trolleys are 1001-1015, but wiki only lists 10 of them (I may have added them in there, the amount sourced from a news report). There may be vans or something mixed in there though.

For the next batch do they plan to go with hybrids for the full size buses again? Can you divulge the manufacturer yet? (He said no surprises so i'm guessing Gillig again?) And what's next for replacement? I wouldn't be surprised if they started to replace the 01xx and 04xx before the rest of the 00xx, I heard the Orion buses are junk.

Also I thought I saw a Chevy Kodiak chassised RIde bus with a 11xx fleet number, the last year for the medium duty GM's was 2009, New Bedford EMS also had some ambulances delivered this year with those chassis, where is everyone getting this old stock chassis to build on?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: