BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Buses of Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, New York Continued
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: The Buses of Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, New York Continued Reply with quote

I finally got a picture into a post - what a trip for a 'novice" - thanks to my good friend Dennis for the help.

Anyway, you're looking at Green Bus Lines #G447 - a 1933 Mack model 6CL3S (ser# 1006 - motor # BX1972) taken at the Mack factory in Allentown, Pennsylvania before transport.

This bus, which was delivered along with 46 6BC3S's, was the only one of its kind ever purchased by the company for reasons unknown to this writer.

It was reminiscent of a Twin Coach of the same vintage and appeared to be designed with two front ends! (so you really didn't know which way it's heading!).

All of the 1933 Macks were bound for newly franchised routes in Manhattan (albeit short lived), and a close look through to the side desrination sign will show 'BROADWAY' as its terminus.

I apologize for my inability to make the picture enlargable but that's a technology that's still beyond my reach!

Picture courtesy of Mack Truck Museum.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

[/img]
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photo!
A lot of those early transit buses seem to have been very symmetrical in design, fairly plain and boxy. Just think, today we sometimes hear bus fans saying, "Modern buses look like boxes with wheels." They may have said the same thing in the early '30's, too.
In the many years that have elapsed since the time of this photo we arguably have come "full circle" in transit bus design. GM's Old Looks were rounded, as was the Fishbowl.
Flx New Looks were a bit more angular, then the AM Generals (except for their Fishbowl-styled windshields) started assuming the modern boxy shape common to many ADB's. The RTS was less boxy than many ADB's, with its raked back windshield. Up until very recently, Orions, New Flyers, and Gilligs were very rectangular, with Neoplans and NABI's not far behind. The Nova LFS is a bit more daring, and the BRT-types are very curvy. Who knows where it will end?
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: This any bigger? Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

I see you are getting into the swing of things!

Best Regards,
Dennis

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: More Green Line Buses Reply with quote

Pictured is Green Bus Lines Mack #824 - a 1939 model CM3G, Ser# 1087, motor # EP3-66 taken prior to delivery at the Mack factory in Allentown, Pennsylvania.

Notice the 39/40 World's Fair livery that it and 34 other CM's (801 to 825 and 850 to 859) carried in preparation for special exposition runs.

These gasoline powered buses were extremely quiet, smooth running and featured 'air actuated' clutches which eliminated both the clutch pedal and the inherent shift jolts.

The 800's were all repainted to the apple green and cream livery in 1947 and continued in service well into the late fifties both for Green Line and Jamaica Buses.

For picture enlargability please go to; http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=10&uid=7

Photo courtesy of the Mack Truck Museum

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: This any bigger? Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
Mr. Linsky,

I see you are getting into the swing of things!

Best Regards,
Dennis

All right Dennis - how did you do that? - next lesson please!

Only kidding - I'm sure you have a lot more to do than to teach me the picture end of this business!

Thanks so much for your help.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet" etc.
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: There is no secret........ Reply with quote

Mr.Linsky,

I guess that I just saved bigger images in my computer, I didn't enlarge these or enhance them. I am puzzled on how to upload to the vintage photo gallery...........so, there...we are even!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Here is a GBL riddle......... Reply with quote

I present to this group a riddle (of sorts).

The first picture is bus #1001, the first RTS GBL in service in June of 1979.

The second picture is also bus #1001, 5 months later in November...or is it?

From what I see (and recall).......
The top bus is only 96" wide, has a single curtain roll sign and a brown interior.

The bottom bus is 102" wide, dual curtains (50/50) and a green interior.

Besides the obvious striping and logo differences, you'll also note that the top one is missing the roof mounted emergency hatches / vents.

Is it possible that the original #1001 was supposed to go to Jamaica Bus Lines as 301(?), but GBL hijacked it.....hmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn

I don't believe Command had any slopeback RTS buses, so I'm sticking with my JBL theory.

Best Regards,
Dennis
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Here is a GBL riddle......... Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
I present to this group a riddle (of sorts).

The first picture is bus #1001, the first RTS GBL in service in June of 1979.

The second picture is also bus #1001, 5 months later in November...or is it?

From what I see (and recall).......
The top bus is only 96" wide, has a single curtain roll sign and a brown interior.

The bottom bus is 102" wide, dual curtains (50/50) and a green interior.

Besides the obvious striping and logo differences, you'll also note that the top one is missing the roof mounted emergency hatches / vents.

Is it possible that the original #1001 was supposed to go to Jamaica Bus Lines as 301(?), but GBL hijacked it.....hmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn

I don't believe Command had any slopeback RTS buses, so I'm sticking with my JBL theory.

Best Regards,
Dennis

Dennis,

This is just a wild 'out of the box' guess, but could the first 1001 pictured be a demonstrator?

Green Line had never had four digit numbers before (merely because the PSC had always assigned them to Triboro - when they were assigning the numbers) and the 1001 is very typical of what they would just throw on for identification (similar to the number GM gave the FACCO old look A/C'd demonstrator).

The records show that all Green Line, Triboro and Jamaica TH8203/T8H203 (designation changed mid year) were 102" wide and Green Line's 1001 to 1015 were delivered in October and November of 1979 as were the JB's and TCC's.

So I'm really inclined to say that it was a demonstrator and, at 96", it couldn't have been Jamaica bound originally!

BTW; the top picture was taken at the Q10 terminus (Kew Gardens Road at Queens Boulevard).

As I said, just a wild guess!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: There is no secret........ Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
Mr.Linsky,

I guess that I just saved bigger images in my computer, I didn't enlarge these or enhance them. I am puzzled on how to upload to the vintage photo gallery...........so, there...we are even!

Dennis,

I had trouble transferring pictures to the gallery originally but Michael explained what to do (whether it will work for you or not, I don't know);

Of course, you create an account - that's easy! Then hit the 'upload' button which will give you the 'browse' option.

When I hit a browse it automatically takes me to my Microsoft 'Picture Manager' and brings up all my pictures (including some that I really wouldn't want anyone to see! - that's another story that you really have to be careful with!).

You 'left' click the picture which will then become framed - push continue and then 'upload' - after upload is complete (about two seconds) push continue again and it should tell you that you have successfully transferred.

Just follow the yellow brick path from there!

I hope it works for you (and that I've explained it right).

Good luck.

Mr. Linsky etc.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: 'Tell Me Something I Don't Know! Reply with quote

As a well known NBC news moderator always says to his guests; "tell me something I don't know!"

Dennis (Free Transfer) has said (and I take his word as authoritative) that the top picture above of Green Line #1001 is 96"'s wide, and the the bottom GBL picture of #1001 is 102"'s wide.

My question is; how, especially by looking at a photo, can one distinguish the width of an 'RTS' (in other words, what tell-tale marks might stand out that would signal the difference?).

With the paired window 'old looks' it was as simple as looking at the rear windows which, in the case of the 102" jobs, had a space of six inches between them (actually, standing in front of a wide old look you could see the difference just by eye).

Even with the 'new looks' we knew that the spacing of the ventilator between the right front headlights and the 'GMC' logo in the center was greater on the 102" buses.

So what's the clue? "tell me something I don't know!"

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ways to tell the width of an RTS--

Center piece of the front bumper - How much room from the licence plate to the corner pieces of the bumper

Space between center post of windshields to the headlight assemblies

Space between center post of windshields to wiper motor access door

Space between rear taillight assemblies -- 96" will look close together

Or catch a mechanic changing rear radious rods -- if their cursing and screaming they have no room to work, its 96"!!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Tell Me Something I Don't Know! Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
As a well known NBC news moderator always says to his guests; "tell me something I don't know!"

Dennis (Free Transfer) has said (and I take his word as authoritative) that the top picture above of Green Line #1001 is 96"'s wide, and the bottom GBL picture of #1001 is 102"'s wide.

My question is; how, especially by looking at a photo, can one distinguish the width of an 'RTS' (in other words, what tell-tale marks might stand out that would signal the difference?).

With the paired window 'old looks' it was as simple as looking at the rear windows which, in the case of the 102" jobs, had a space of six inches between them (actually, standing in front of a wide old look you could see the difference just by eye).

Even with the 'new looks' we knew that the spacing of the ventilator between the right front headlights and the 'GMC' logo in the center was greater on the 102" buses.

So what's the clue? "tell me something I don't know!"

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: 'The Buses of Green Bus Lines Continued' Reply with quote

In the spotlight is a Green Bus Line's 1946 GM model TD4506 (ser# 0721) #912 in its original livery sitting on Lefferts Boulevard at Metropolitan Avenue in Kew Gardens sometime very shortly after its delivery to the company in May of that year.

This bus, along with thirty four others in the same order (901 to 925 and 201 to 210 flagged as Manhattan and Queens Bus Corporation for the newly acquired Q60 route) boasts a number of firsts for the company;

Included are; the first GM products, the first Diesel engines and the first fully automatic transmissions.

Due to a shortage of stainless steel and chromium immediately after the war, these buses came through with no brightwork and included painted steel interior passenger hand rails (notice the painted front bumper and the lack of the traditional GM wings and logo under the windshield).

In 1947, this bus (as well as all of Green Line's latest equipment) was repainted to the then new and more familiar apple green and cream livery.

# 912 eventually went to Jamaica Buses and was renumbered as 218.

Photo courtesy of Jay Rogers

For an enlargement of the picture see; http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=19&uid=7

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Free-transfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

I have a question about the roll signs.........

Why did GBL use black for the Route# and VIA curtain
and Red for the Destination curtain, like the City? Triborough was opposite.

Was it a personal preference or one dictated by franchise?

Just Curious...

Best Regards,
Dennis V.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: 'Roll Sign' Reply with quote

Dennis,

I would have to say that it was personal preference, especially if Triboro (and Jamaica for that matter) were different.

The only thing that the Department of Franchises would have unquestionably demanded would have been the height of the lettering for legibility.

BTW; I missed out on the Green Line old look side sign that was on e-Bay (pictured below).

I went as high as $140.00 (which was my limit) and, during the ten minute balckout period someone grabbed it for $266.00 (I'd hate to think that I forced someone into paying that much for it!).

I have to admit that I was heartbroken because of what it would have meant to me (my fingerprints were probably on that sign at one time!).

Maybe whoever got it would consider selling it to me if they happen to read this note - I guess you win some, and you lose some!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: