BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM Old Look Book To Launch in April 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: GM Old Look Book To Launch in April 2010 Reply with quote

Now at Amazon.com, preorders are being accepted for the April 2010 launch of a new Iconographix book about GM Old Looks (written by Bus Ride Magazine founder William A. Luke).
I suspect that there are more than a few Old Look fans on this site.
I think this probably should be an interesting and important bus book, given that Bill Luke's other bus titles have been very good.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news, Bob. Thanks for the heads up!
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not sure what to expect from this book. Luke’s Iconographix books tend to be heavy on the photographs and light on the text, so I don’t expect the type of exhaustive history that John McKane did for the GM New Looks and Evan McCausland did for the RTS.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
I’m not sure what to expect from this book. Luke’s Iconographix books tend to be heavy on the photographs and light on the text, so I don’t expect the type of exhaustive history that John McKane did for the GM New Looks and Evan McCausland did for the RTS.
I hear you, RB63, and you make a good point. I had had high hopes for the recently published FACCO book, and I was a bit disappointed.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'd like to order this one in advance, I'm going to wait for the critics reviews on it!

Of course, if it's all show and no go (story wise), you can always consult 'Bus Nostalgia' by model number right here on BusTalk to fill in the blanks.

Mr. 'L'
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with both Mr. Linsky and 65A in their above comments. I too was very disappointed with the FACC book that I had pre-ordered. Biggest complaint was that the book only went up to 1960 and totally omitted the 1962 MABSTOA takeover and could have had a page or two about thw activities of FACC after they got the money from NYS and became an investment company. They changed their name to South Bay (or something like that) got cited by the SEC and then fell off the radar.

Having been burned once with pre-ordering, I like WCA will wait for the book to come out see the reviews.
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally received my copy of "Old Look Buses: Yellow Coach and GM In The '40s and '50s".
I have not read it thoroughly, but I did thumb through it.
There is a lot of interesting color photography in this book.
I think we at BTN generally would agree that the GM Old Look, with its nicely rounded contours, is a photogenic creature (especially since large-scale silversiding was not yet in vogue when the Old Look was produced).
I was very intrigued to see the many different colorful paint schemes across various North American bus lines.
A couple of quick observations:
1. Very little coverage of NYC Old Looks: only Bee Line (no GBL, TCC, JBI, NYCBOT QSC or FACCO)
2. No rosters
I think Railbus 63 has a point: for my money, our own Evan McCausland did a much better job (as did the late John McKane).
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

From what you say, I think I'll stick with my copy of Martins' New York City Transit Buses!

It's not the Holy Bible and there are errors and omissions here and there but it has helped me immeasurably in my research and that's good enough for me!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Mr. L!
In my opinion, Guy Martin's book is much better than this one.
Looking back, arguably the very best GM Old Look references still are:
1. National Bus Trader (May 1982)
2. Motor Coach Age (July-August 1992)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: