BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'BUS OF THE MONTH - DECEMBER 09'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: 'BUS OF THE MONTH - DECEMBER 09' Reply with quote

I don't know why I call this the 'Bus of the Month' because the last time I featured one was about a year ago - I will try to be more timely with these presentations in the future (but don't count on it!).

Shown below (top) in a factory photo is fleet number 2700 - a 1948 GM TDH 4510 and the only one of its kind that operated for the Pacific Electric Railway Company of Los Angeles, California.

The 4510 and 4511 were the only two 45 passenger 'Old Look' transit models ever built by GM in a 102 inch width with 500 4510's going to New York City and 120 4511's going to Milwaukee.

Pacific Electric number 2700 (also built to NY specs) was the only 4510 demonstrator and traveled the country for two years stopping at a number of major cities for trials before finally arriving at Los Angeles in June of 1950.

Apparently the bus was very well received in L.A. and the company purchased it which started it on a long career through a number of operator name changes and liveries until it became RTD number 6500 (as also seen below).

Some modifications were made along the way which included updated signals, the addition of tow hooks and the elimination of the ornamental bright work under the belt line.

Records show that 2700 is now preserved by Scot Richard's Regional Transit of Riverside, California.

Photos courtesy of NorCal Photo Gallery.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bus of the month, Mr. Linsky! I didn't realize this bus was a demonstrator and not part of PE's 1950 order. I also didn't know that Scott had it. That would be something if he restored it to it's PE livery!

I recall seeing some photos of this bus in some sort of celebration at the time of it's retirement after about 30 years of service. Quite a record compared to today's buses!
MOVIEBUSES

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: TDH 4510 Reply with quote

The bus has been restored to its PE color scheme. The interior has been redone also. The bus is sitting right now as money is tight and no real interest. I have pictures but dont know how to post.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news about the bus but not so good about the lack of interest. (interest=income)

If you have photos posted on your website or at another photo site, you should be able to post them here by clicking on the "Img" button above the message box when you post.

Insert image: [img]http://image_url[/img]

Hope that works as I know at least two persons here who would love to see them!

Thanks!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The 4510 demonstrator was never built for any particular company but was a very important sales tool for Truck and Coach.

It was actually the first showing of the redesigned 'Old Look' with the 'paired windows' and the Spicer VH or Hydraulic V Transmission among other things.

Unfortunately, the wide bodied 45 passenger concept was never really popular with GM customers accept for New York's 4510's and Milwaukee's 4511's.

The 4510 and the 4511 were identical accept for a strengthening of the 4511 roof structure amidships due to weaknesses found on the 4510's

That structural modification is easily detectable with the wider gap between the single widows and both the emergency and rear passenger doors on the forward sides.

Regards.

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: