BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retirement age for MTA buses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:08 am    Post subject: Retirement age for MTA buses Reply with quote

All:

Does the MTA have a given age that they deem a bus should be retired?

I know that, for many years, TA policy (AFAIK) had dictated that 40 years was considered the economical service life for a subway car.

I remember the R-10 cars (ACF, 1948/1949) were retired in 1989, which meant they had been in service for 40 years.

Appreciate any input....thanks in advance.........Wink

"NYO"

*which buses lasted the longest in NYCTA service?

Where there any given series (or types) that remained in service longer than would be deemed the norm?
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that CNG buses have tanks that have to be recertified every 15 years. It seems almost all agencies have retired their CNG buses by 15 instead of recertifying and the MTA has already retired the first batch of Orion VII CNG buses (7560-7689) with the XN40 (673-810). They were built in 2003 and replaced in 2017-2018, the 15 years. The second batch of 2004 buses (7690-7819) is already undergoing retirement with the arrival of the XN60 (1000-1109).

Unless they are complete duds, and basing this on retirement patterns of the last decade, I would say that 15+ is the ideal retirement age.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GojiMet86 wrote:
I know that CNG buses have tanks that have to be recertified every 15 years. It seems almost all agencies have retired their CNG buses by 15 instead of recertifying and the MTA has already retired the first batch of Orion VII CNG buses (7560-7689) with the XN40 (673-810). They were built in 2003 and replaced in 2017-2018, the 15 years. The second batch of 2004 buses (7690-7819) is already undergoing retirement with the arrival of the XN60 (1000-1109).

Unless they are complete duds, and basing this on retirement patterns of the last decade, I would say that 15+ is the ideal retirement age.

GojiMet86:

Greatly appreciate this information....thank you! Wink

Back in my day (LONG, LONG AGO!), in my area of northern Metro NJ, 15 years old would have been pretty much an adolescent, age-wise, for buses!

In the mid-1960's, there were, in my neck of the woods, late-model YELLOW/early model GM Old Looks, WHITES, MACKS, and other makes that were at least 20 years old then (if not older), being operated by many local "indy" companies.

I recall that the now-defunct WASHINGTON ST. line (Hoboken) was still operating a true bus museum back in the 1960's; I still can remember clearly at least one circa-1936 MACK still in use, around 1966! (Our Great And Exalted Mentor, the late Mr. Linsky, posted a picture of one of these ancient MACKS in Hoboken service, long ago somewhere here)

Time indeed flies by MUCH too fast; I used to think that once oh-so-commonplace RTS's would "be around forever", and, today, it has been now over a decade since I last saw one in my area.

NJT's NABI's and NEOPLAN artics are now about 15 years old (in my estimation); they may be "history" themselves, before too much time has elapsed......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: