BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE NEW YORK CITY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Avenue B buses are listed on the OMOT site under the "75000 models". This is the group of buses produced at Evergreen AL in the old Southern Coach plant.

Roy
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual Avenue B and East Broadway Transit Flxibles had push-out rear doors.

They were a great sight on 14th Street.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
The Avenue B buses are listed on the OMOT site under the "75000 models". This is the group of buses produced at Evergreen AL in the old Southern Coach plant.

Roy

Roy thank you for the lead. Only 82 ever built. A rarity indeed !.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three page Yellow Coach ad below from a 1930 issue of Bus Transportation Magazine highlight the early history of the Fifth Avenue Coach Company and the historic collaboration that existed between the two entities.

Truly great shots from a great era in Vintage New York City!

Photos courtesy of '4509bus' and are available at eBay as item # 351252371010.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a study of the 'billboard' signage (dubbed as Bat Wings) used in New York City during the 'New Look' era, I found a most interesting advertisement by Transign Corporation amid the pages of Bus Transportation Magazine (my Bible) that gives us a pretty complete history of the product which, as you will see, was first used in the Big Apple.

About Transign;

For over a half century Transign has been providing the transit industry with high quality, innovative and durable destination signs of all types.

The company, based in Waterford, Michigan, was founded in 1959 and quickly became the established market leader in traditional roller curtains and, in 1974 developed and patented the original flip-dot system controller, known as the “Message Monitor” that evolved into the current LED Destinator series.

Photos courtesy of '4509bus' and are available at eBay as item # 351270323067.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ad by the Timken Corporation of Canton, Ohio extolling the virtues of their world famous roller bearings and partnering with devout customer Triboro Coach Corporation of Jackson Heights to bring their point home.

Seen sometime in the late fifties and traveling the Q33 line between Jackson Heights and LaGuardia Airport via 82nd. and 83rd. Streets is fleet # 712 - a 1957 51 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDH 5106 and one of twenty likenesses numbered 701 to 720 operating for the company.

# 712 is shown carrying its original and very handsome angel wings and bib livery scheme with cream over brownish red.

Interestingly, the ad claims that the customer has specified Timken Bearings when, in reality, the only GM buses that ever came without them were for those operators that specified other brands and I can't imagine that there were too many of them!

Photo courtesy of '4509bus' and is available at eBay as item #351271449509.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, this one rolls back the time machine to 'day one' in the archives of bus transportation as we savor a photo of the very first motorized coach to operate in New York City, New York State or possibly the entire country.

Seen in 1905 meandering the paths of Manhattan's Central Park in demonstration service for the Fifth Avenue Coach Company (FACCO) is a 24 passenger open topped double decker modeled as a Type 'D' with a chassis built in France by De Dion-Bouton and carrying a body by J.G. Brill and Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

It is said that the test trials were so successful and well accepted by customers that the company almost immediately ordered an addition fourteen buses while beginning to make serious inroads into the retirement of their large horse drawn fleet.

FACCO continued to do chassis business with foreign suppliers including Daimler of England until World War I halted such overseas shipping forcing the company into its own manufacturing.

Of note is the extraordinary (for the time) 10 cent fare which was provided for in FACCO's State Public Service Commission permit.

Unfortunately, the black and white film hides the elegant color scheme of the vehicle which was a body of rich cavern green with touches of gold leaf pin striping.

Photo courtesy of 'bk.sales' and is available at eBay as item # 390495542900.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one that I've seen on the company roster but have not had the pleasure of meeting until now!

Standing in wait for its next assignment at its home base is fleet # 2 - a 1954 41 passenger GM Coach modeled as a PD-4104 and one of only two likenesses with the other numbered as 1 and operating for the Steinway Transit Corporation of College Point, New York.

Both buses were ex Hudson Transit Corporation (NJ) assigned as 223 and 225 and were actually the only Parlor Cars ever purchased by Steinway which leads me to believe that they may have serviced a special contract because the company and commonly owned Queens Transit Corporation carried only 'FB' plates in the era which would have precluded use in charter work.

It is probable that #2 is seen in its original Hudson Transit livery because pink was never an option for Steinway equipment!

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 391022300235.

Free-transfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably at the Steinway Street yard by 20th avenue in Astoria....

ASTEINWAYPD41042_zps6c1df7c6.jpg~original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  237.95 KB
 Viewed:  31073 Time(s)

ASTEINWAYPD41042_zps6c1df7c6.jpg~original.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very soon I expect to have a photograph of every single bus that my Alma mater operated between 1933 and 1960 and even some beyond that in my personal collection.

So, it's my pleasure to welcome fleet # 929 - a 1947 44 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDH-4507 and one of twenty-five numbered between 926 and 950 operating for Green Bus Lines, Inc., (GBL) then of Cornell Park, New York.

These 25 900's were interesting because they were originally part of a one hundred bus order custom built for Surface Transportation System but were diverted in pipeline to GBL for whatever the reason and arrived equipped with old fashioned Golden Glow headlamps, outward opening front doors, rear door treadle steps, illuminated backing signals and spot lights over the fare boxes.

The perilous treadle steps were neutralized almost immediately and the outward opening front doors were eventually reversed along with the installation of updated sealed beams as can be seen on sibling #937 in my Avatar.

# 929, in its adopted apple green and cream livery, is espied trundling Queens Boulevard in Sunnyside on the Q-60 line between Manhattan and Jamaica and I would call upon my learned colleague and good friend Hart Bus who hails from the area to try to tell us by landmarks which direction our focus is traveling.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 391022304599.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
Probably at the Steinway Street yard by 20th avenue in Astoria....

Free-transfer,

I believe you may be right about the yard that # 2 is seen in - it was a transition period in which all business for both companies was already being transacted at College Point.

Your photo shows the bus in orange which is more like what I would have expected.

Where my photo came up with pink is beyond me?

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

My photo is your photo, I just did a color swap to orange. I'm just wondering if those buses were bought for some type of special service to the World's Fair as I don't recall Steinway having anything with a/c prior to 66...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my essay on Green Bus Lines # 929 slightly further back in this thread the bus was shown in what I described as its adopted angel wings and bib livery in Apple Green and Cream which, by the way, it received in the late forties.

An inquirer on another channel asked me what 929's original paint job looked like and, as good luck would have it, I happened upon just such an image in my albums and is seen here in the lower frame which was also taken on the Q60 run in Sunnyside.

The angel wings and bib scheme seen in the upper frame was of GM design and first appeared on Surface Transportation equipment in 1946 followed by Triboro Coach in 1947 and finally on an order for ten more 4507's in 1949 at Green Line.

Interestingly, Mack also adopted the design which arrived on their post war models sold to both Surface and Jamaica.

Personally, I'm happy that GBL finally came around because, as you can see, the earlier dark green over battleship gray was really rather boring!

Upper plate courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75'
Lower plate courtesy of the Motor Bus Society

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lower photo is obviously taken at Queensborough Plaza, but is the bus heading to Manhattan or to Jamaica? It's that extra stairway to the train station that puzzles me, the stairway on the traffic island. Thanks. Joe
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
Mr. Linsky,

My photo is your photo, I just did a color swap to orange. I'm just wondering if those buses were bought for some type of special service to the World's Fair as I don't recall Steinway having anything with a/c prior to 66...

Free-transfer,

I figured that you played with the tint - I should have thought of it myself.

Other than Greyhound's 1,250 some odd 4104's which, I believe, were all air conditioned, not all of the other nearly 4,000 built were and unless we could see the driver's side of Steinway #2 we'll never really know whether it was or it wasn't.

The air conditioned 4104's had a sizable ventilator below the first passenger window on the driver's side that housed a separate gasoline engine to operate the compressor - the 4106, which also had a similar vent which probably just housed the condenser, ran its compressor off the main engine.

I would say that there is a good probability that Steinway's were though.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 144, 145, 146 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 145 of 151

Jump to: