BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE NEW YORK CITY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Seen at Riis Park in Rockaway, Queens sometime post 1987 and with no apparent destination discernible is fleet # 217-C - a 1966 53 passenger 96 inch wide GM Coach modeled as a TDH-5304 (ser# 1275) and operating for Green Bus Lines, Inc., of Jamaica, New York.

# 217-C has an interesting history originally being purchased by Yonkers Transit Corporation of Westchester and subsequently sold to Pioneer Bus Corporation of Brooklyn which was eventually taken over by Command Bus Company - a newly formed affiliate of Green Bus Lines.

In an ironic twist of fate and fortunes Green Bus Lines, who for many years supplied its surplus equipment to its affiliates including Jamaica Buses and Triboro Coach, found itself floundering financially in the 80's along with an aging fleet in need of replacement forcing it to borrow whatever worthy rolling stock that its commonly owned divisions could spare.

The condition of # 217-C (which still flies its Command flag over the passenger windows) tells the sad story of a once great company that took pride and was cited many times for its excellence in both maintenance and operations.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 171447275173.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Not to diminish the great work of the late Alan Bromberger (May he Rest In Peace), he left out # 217-C in his fine article about GBL in the Oct-Dec 2000 issue .of Motor Coach Age.

If you look at Page 33 he has a roster of all buses leased or borrowed from the other Cooper Group companies, this bus was overlooked. The bottom of the page has a picture of 216-c with a comment that 12 buses came from Command. Yet when you count up all the buses in the roster coming over and designated in there as xxx-C, there are only 11
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
Seen at Riis Park in Rockaway, Queens sometime post 1987 and with no apparent destination discernible is fleet # 217-C - a 1966 53 passenger 96 inch wide GM Coach modeled as a TDH-5304 (ser# 1275) and operating for Green Bus Lines, Inc., of Jamaica, New York.

# 217-C has an interesting history originally being purchased by Yonkers Transit Corporation of Westchester and subsequently sold to Pioneer Bus Corporation of Brooklyn which was eventually taken over by Command Bus Company - a newly formed affiliate of Green Bus Lines.

In an ironic twist of fate and fortunes Green Bus Lines, who for many years supplied its surplus equipment to its affiliates including Jamaica Buses and Triboro Coach, found itself floundering financially in the 80's along with an aging fleet in need of replacement forcing it to borrow whatever worthy rolling stock that its commonly owned divisions could spare.

The condition of # 217-C (which still flies its Command flag over the passenger windows) tells the sad story of a once great company that took pride and was cited many times for its excellence in both maintenance and operations.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 171447275173.

Not to diminish the great work of the late Alan Bromberger (May His Rest In Peace), he left out # 217-C in his fine article about GBL in the Oct-Dec 2000 issue .of Motor Coach Age.

If you look at Page 33 he has a roster of all buses leased or borrowed from the other Cooper Group companies, this bus was overlooked. The bottom of the page has a picture of 216-C with a comment that 12 buses came from Command. Yet when you count up all the buses in the roster coming over and designated in there as xxx-C, there are only 11

ECA,

I noticed the same omission in the referenced Motor Coach Age and all I can say is that's why most pencils come with erasors - we all make mistakes.

Fortunately, data sheets inherited from my late friend Don Weiss (MHSRIP) of the Motor Bus Society included # 217-C as loaned to Green Line from Command on more than one occasion.

Best regards,

WCA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a rainy afternoon in Manhattan on October 26th. 1948 when, upon a majority vote of the Transport Workers Union (TWU) membership, the drivers at New York City Omnibus Corporation (NYCO) and a number of other private bus lines in the city walked off their jobs leaving thousands of home bound commuters in search of alternate means of transportation.

Seen in the upper photo on West 54th. Street is the beginning of a blocks long line of empty buses with drivers waiting for entree to the NYCO facility at 9th. Avenue to return their charges and prepare for picket duty.

The lower image was taken at a rally of over 8,000 chauffeurs in front of the Woolworth Building downtown in which the offices of the State Public Service Commission were located.

The crux of the dispute centered upon the city's long time refusal to raise the nickel fare to levels of other municipalities around the state thus allowing for higher wages - this battle was won and the 10 cent fare soon became a reality.

BTW; the only company that did not participate in the proceedings was Green Bus Lines which had no affiliation with the CIO or the TWU.

Upper photo courtesy of 'HistoricImages' and is available at eBay as item # 371130204770.
Lower photo courtesy of the New York Journal American archives.

Tony A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting photos. I think Green Bus Lines also kept rolling during the January 1965 transit strike, for the same reason?
Tony A

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops 1966
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony A wrote:
Interesting photos. I think Green Bus Lines also kept rolling during the January 1965 transit strike, for the same reason?

Tony A,

Green Bus Lines (NY) had a 'sweetheart' deal with Amalgamated Transit Union #1179 and agreed to meet the terms of whatever the Transport Workers Union won in their many battles with the city - thus keeping the natives at GBL pretty well satisfied.

However, the company did face one violent labor disruption in 1939 when the hired drivers complained that the stockholder drivers were permitted to pick the choice runs in spite of the former's seniority.

The matter wound up in court with the company winning on the premise that the stockholders were considered as management.

The violence entailed broken windows and slashed tires with ensuing arrests and a closer police surveillance along the picket lines.

Best regards,

Mr. 'L'
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony A wrote:
oops 1966

i remember that situation during the transit strike by Mike Quill against Mayor lLindsley" I was enrolled at Stuyvesant HS at the time. The Board of Ed said that we could go to our neighborhood school or where we were enrolled. For several days I walked with some friends along the s/b route of the Q-104 to reach Bryant HS.

One day I was determined to get to Stuyvesant so I went to 43rd St and QB and waited under the Center Theater Marque for a Q-60. I figured once I got to the last stop, I could walk the rest of the way down 2nd Ave. Also I could walk back and wit on the line.

However I got very lucky. As I was under the marquee, a car pulled up and three ladies got in. The driver asked where I was going. I replied "Stuyvesant , He told e to hop in and dropped me off at 14th/2nd. Ave, sp early that I had time to have breakfast at (fallen flag) White TOWER.

In one of my classes a fellow told me that his uncle is taking him home an he has room in his car but I'd have to cut the last period. I found the teacher told him the situation. He gave me the assignments and wished me good luck.

The other memory was that my aunt found out that Bloomingdale's would hire help when they took their inventories. They paid you for 4 hours although I never worked more than 3. Just signed a voucher and you got your cash. No taxes take out or W-2. issued. They were having one of their inventories during this period. If you could get in there, you got your 4 hours plus extra for travel costs and free dinner in the cafeteria. Since I was going against the rush hour traffic iit was easy to get in there.

That strike was known as the death of Mike Quill who died of a heart attack about 2 weeks after the strike was settled.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen at the Archer Avenue Bus Terminal in Jamaica, Queens sometime in the early forties and readying for its next run to 102nd. Street and Liberty Avenue on the Q-41 line is fleet # 495 - a 1934 27 passenger Brockway modeled as an 'E-45' and one of twenty six likenesses originally numbered G-475 to G-500 operating for Green Bus Lines, Inc., then of Cornell Park, New York.

Powered by six cylinder Continental gasoline engines coupled to three speed mechanical transmissions, these tough little Brockways soldiered their way through the war years and were still seen on local Rockaway routes as late as 1950 (in fact, two of the fleet were converted to service cars that ran well into the 60's).

Also seen in the image are two of the company's more modern 1935 Mack CX's with the one closest to our focus signed for the Q-9 Lincoln Street route.

Green Line was anchor at the terminal which was located at Archer Avenue and New York Boulevard in the heart of Jamaica and was also host to Hempstead Bus Corporation, Schenck Transportation and Semke Bus Line.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 171453972592.

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late 70s I rode JBL and GBL to high school. Green went on strike it was about 4 0r 5 months if I recall right. The other lines didn't. We got subway passes for the A train. JBL went out around the same time for a week or two. This was more of a pain due to having to set up carpools from rosedale to far rockaway.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen dead center of the George Washington Bridge in February of 1947 in a 'traffic stopping' promotional photo is fleet # 1215 - a 1930 66 passenger open topped Yellow Coach modeled as a Z-BH-602 and one of thirty six likenesses numbered 1200 to 1235 that operated for the Fifth Avenue Coach Company of Manhattan, New York.

Due to the expense and needed storage capacity to maintain the seasonally operated two man open tops the company decided in late 1946 to retire the fleet with most relegated to the shredder and only a handful being snapped up by collectors, museums and Hollywood movie studios.

While # 1215 and two siblings of unknown fleet assignment headed for the City of Angels in the hope of second careers in front of the camera, such stardom apparently passed them by very quickly and they were rarely seen on screen.

In fact, in my years as a broker supplying vintage vehicles to the motion picture and television industry, I never once spotted any of these buses in a studio motor pool and, none of my suppliers ever listed them as available. .

BTW; I’m sure that our focus, with actress Gale Storm (TV’s ‘My Little Margie’) posing behind the wheel was not driven to the West Coast but probably on its way to a railroad siding in New Jersey for flat car shipment (note; as evidenced by the large placard over the passenger windows that the bus could also have been touring the metropolitan area to promote the 1947 release of 'It Happened on Fifth Avenue' in which Ms. Storm played a part).

# 1215, with a Yellow Coach chassis and custom body built at Fifth Avenue’s shops in upper Manhattan, sports both added headlamps and directional signals.

Associated Press photo courtesy of The New York Journal American Photographic Morgue as item # NYJA 000618.

Mr. Linsky – Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

FACCO 1215 TO CALIFORNIA.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.51 KB
 Viewed:  23188 Time(s)

FACCO 1215 TO CALIFORNIA.jpg

Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow; imagine how much paperwork/computer work you would need today to accomplish the same feat!
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Seen at the Archer Avenue Bus Terminal in Jamaica, Queens sometime in the early forties and readying for its next run to 102nd. Street and Liberty Avenue on the Q-41 line is fleet # 495 - a 1934 27 passenger Brockway modeled as an 'E-45' and one of twenty six likenesses originally numbered G-475 to G-500 operating for Green Bus Lines, Inc., then of Cornell Park, New York.

Powered by six cylinder Continental gasoline engines coupled to three speed mechanical transmissions, these tough little Brockways soldiered their way through the war years and were still seen on local Rockaway routes as late as 1950 (in fact, two of the fleet were converted to service cars that ran well into the 60's).

Also seen in the image are two of the company's more modern 1935 Mack CX's with the one closest to our focus signed for the Q-9 Lincoln Street route.

Green Line was anchor at the terminal which was located at Archer Avenue and New York Boulevard in the heart of Jamaica and was also host to Hempstead Bus Corporation, Schenck Transportation and Semke Bus Line.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 171453972592.

I recall Schenck (or was it "Bee Line"?, not sure), operating out of the much newer "Long Island Bus Terminal" at 165th Street in later years.
Where did the routes of that terminal operate from before it was built?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Wow; imagine how much paperwork/computer work you would need today to accomplish the same feat!

Bob,

re; Facco # 1215;

At least this was one GWB traffic tie up that they couldn't blame Governor Christie for!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a photo taken in Long Island City on January 16th. 1950 we see the aftermath of a tragic accident in which two persons were killed and 36 others injured as a result of a bus losing its brakes, sideswiping one unseen car, colliding with a tractor trailer and then jumping the curb while wedging a second car between itself and a lamp post.

The bus, fleet # 2010, was a 1936 72 passenger Yellow Coach modeled as a '720' operating for the Fifth Avenue Coach Company and was signed for the #15 route between 25th. Street in Manhattan to 82nd. Street and Northern Boulevard in Jackson Heights.

Acme Telephoto courtesy of 'cootsimagery-deluxe' and is available at eBay as item # 400759955824.

RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this in the vicinity of the Queensboro Bridge? I'm guessing that it was given the 'Bridge Hardware Co.' sign visible in the photograph.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 140, 141, 142 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 141 of 151

Jump to: