BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE NEW YORK CITY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 149, 150, 151  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Notice the old traffic signal light hanging from a post to the top left of the frame - the modern amber warning that we now get before a red light was accomplished by illuminating both the red and green lenses at the same time momentarily.

As an aside, those two-aspect traffic signals (only pedestal mounted, no overheads) lasted into the mid-2000s in Ozone Park and the Rockaways. Most were even retrofitted with LED lights!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The double phase traffic signal in the above photo is hanging from the end of the arm of a street light type pole. You are correct though that for many years they were installed at street side on independent stanchions.

I have to be honest with you; every time I'm in New York (and it's at least two or three times a year), I often travel through Rockaway back to Woodmere from Manhattan and I don't remember having seen a double phased signal there in years and years.

Best regards to the family, and Happy Thanksgiving.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
The double phase traffic signal in the above photo is hanging from the end of the arm of a street light type pole. You are correct though that for many years they were installed at street side on independent stanchions.

Certainly. I was only saying that those didn't survive, only the pedestal-mounted signals did.

Quote:
I have to be honest with you; every time I'm in New York (and it's at least two or three times a year), I often travel through Rockaway back to Woodmere from Manhattan and I don't remember having seen a double phased signal there in years and years.

I think they were only on Rockaway Freeway. I have a photo somewhere.

Quote:
Best regards to the family, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Same to you!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning the clock back to sometime in the late teens we see two Fifth Avenue coaches at rest in Washington Square Park in Manhattan.

To the left of the frame is fleet # 67 - a 1917 Model 'A' double decker built from the ground up by and for Fifth Avenue Coach Company in their extensive uptown shop facilities.

To the right of the frame is what appears to be fleet # 201 - a 1909 Model P2 single deck Brillie-Schneider imported from France and among the first gasoline powered buses to operate for Fifth Avenue Coach.

The destination signs appear to be in cabinets and must have been quite a chore to change especially in inclement weather, and the license plates should give you some idea as to how few 'commercial' vehicles might have been registered in the state at the time.

Fifth Avenue continued to manufacture buses both for themselves and other operators until Yellow Coach came upon the scene in the early twenties.

Photo credit contained within frame.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a Daimler Motors emblem on that bus that you say is a Brille-Schneider?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would appear that way but it was not.

I'm uncertain as to whether Daimler-Benz even had a trademark like it that early on.

Mr. 'L'
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daimler's three-pointed star debuted in 1910, per Wikipedia. This was before its merger with Benz & Cie in 1926.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another real gem thanks to 'Photosearch'.

The location is at Manhattan's 6th. Avenue (easily identified by the 'Avenue of Americas' displays on the lamp posts), with the crosstown being 57th. Street (also easily identified by the Horn and Hardart Automat on 6th. just south of 57th. (that was a fun place to eat when we ere kids! - see lower photo).

The Old Look bus is a 1950 GM TDH 4509 originally operated by New York City Omnibus but, at the time this photo was taken in the very early sixties, had been taken over by the New York City Transit Authority as noted by the addition of their decal under the driver's window.

The New Look just crossing the intersection is a GM TDH 5301 (as noted by the lack of Air Conditioning) and very recently purchased for the newly established Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transportation Operating Authority (MABSTOA).

The photo must have been taken on a lovely spring or summer day judging by the light weight garb of the pedestrians.

Enjoy.

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
The New Look just crossing the intersection is a GM TDH 5301 (as noted by the lack of Air Conditioning) and very recently purchased for the newly established Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transportation Operating Authority (MABSTOA).

I'm not saying it isn't a 5301, but TA/OA also had un-air conditioned 5303s.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael,

It is most definitely a 5303 and I'll tell you why;

MABSTOA was created to take over Fifth Avenue Coach and its subsidiary Surface Transportation Systems in March of 1962.

The first 'New Looks' purchased under the MABSTOA flag were 1963 5303's and appeared as fleet numbers 3301 to 3555 in June of that year.

While we're on the subject of vintage New York City traffic signals, I found the attached photo of an excellent example.

BTW; these lights did not change directly from green to red but, for a few seconds. illuminated both lenses as a warning of change similarly to what the amber signal does today.

Also in the picture (and the actual reason for the capture of the image) is the front end of a paired window GM Old Look.

Unfortunately, the blizzard like conditions obscure the fleet number but I would say by what livery can be seen that it is a Fifth Avenue Coach.

Credit within image.

ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
The first 'New Looks' purchased under the MABSTOA flag were 1963 5303's and appeared as fleet numbers 3301 to 3555 in June of that year.

MaBSTOA also inherited 120 5301s from FACCo and Surface, numbered 3101-3220 (originally FACCo 3101-3160, Surface 3161-3210, FACCo 1-10).
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did FACC and/or its affiliated companies get routes on 6th Avenue? I am looking at a repo of booklet entitled " Fifth Avenue Coach Routes and Vistior's Guide" reprinted in 2005 to commerorate the 100 anniversary. It shows the routes of FACC in 1939-1940 with the extension of the #15 to the World's Fair. There is no route shown operating on "Sixth Avenue".
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really having fun with this forum, and there's a lot more to come!

The photo below might be slightly off topic but I couldn't resist it!

What you're looking at may well be the issuance of the first 'moving violation' ever to a motorized vehicle in the City of New York (probably for no front plate! - that would be 'equipment' under section 375 of the NYSVTL).

Anyway, I'm sure that the summons was number 0000001 (contemplating the millions of tickets that would follow it and the eventual adoption of computers - NYPD was always known for their advanced thinking!).

The image, courtesy of New York in Black and White, was taken in 1900.

Enjoy!

Mr. 'L'

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The attached photo was taken in Manhattan sometime in 1951 at Times Square (the intersection of 7th. Avenue and Broadway) looking north and capturing, among other famous landmarks, the Astor Hotel with a history as grand as New York itself - it's the one with the mansard roof between 43rd. and 44th. Street.

Of course the real focus of the image is the flock of 1945/46 GM Model TD 4506's operating for the New York City Omnibus Corporation with the most prominent being fleet number 1783 (lower right of the frame).

The Omnibus Corporation of Chicago purchased a total of 174 4506's for its New York flags including Fifth Avenue Coach, Madison Avenue Coach, Eighth Avenue Coach and New York City Omnibus.

The hottest movie of the day was 'Inside the Walls of Folsom Prison' which inspired Jonny Cash's 'Folsom Prison Blues'.

Photo credit within frame.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken at 1:20 P.M. (as noted by the clock upper right corner of the frame) on a sunny spring or fall day sometime in the early fifties, we see a 1950 GM Model TDH 4509 operating in Fifth Avenue Coach livery and heading downtown along the famous thoroughfare that the company was named for.

While the fleet number is difficult to discern, it is four digits and does begin with a '2' which would place it among 74 4509's delivered to the company in May of 1950 numbered 2363 to 2437.

I would say that the photo was taken no later than 1953 noting the pre-conference license plate and the fact that all of FACCO's double deckers including the two also seen in the image ceased operation in that year.

Also of note is the spire of St. Patricks Cathedral several blocks north (left center).

Another really great glimpse of vintage New York thanks to fotosearch.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 2 of 151

Jump to: