BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2010 Nova LFS Artics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lothian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: 2010 Nova LFS Artics Reply with quote

A NYC LFS Artic was spotted road testing near the St-Eustache NovaBUS plant. According to an employee, units 1200-1201 are the pilot buses for the 2010 order. Looks like they might show up in NYC before the year's end!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Nova LFS Artic working demo on the M15 Line - pretty nice looking piece of equipment!

Mr. 'L'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsHscskg_Jg
novabuslfsafan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw same topic on subchat and pretty happy the MTA is getting it.

Also I think Westchester Beeline, SEPTA, MBTA, Port Authority of Allegheny County, Houston METRO, and other TAs should buy NOVABus LFSA to replace their current Artic but they have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVqhrJY11Ok

Also I think it should replace all Neoplan Artic ( i mean all of them in any age and year) , New Flyer Artic (the old one's that are 12 years old and over), and NABI Artic (all of them made before 1999) in any TA that has them.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pea-green LFS articulated demo that has been roving around the US for a few months came through Louisville a few weeks back and the timecruncher got to drive it from our Union Station office at 10th & Broadway down to the NIA Center at 29th and back.

After almost 36 years in transit (most as a bus driver), finally got to drive an artic. Nice coach. Good ride, easy handling, definitely turned heads all along Broadway, our heaviest transit route and one of three routes where I would like to deploy artics.

It was headed down to Nashville, TN, where MTA has a bunch of high-floor Neoplan and BRT NABI artics. Sales rep said that Opryland was going to run it on their shuttles for a couple of days. I'm sure the old Hee Haw crew would have some one-liners about buses that just kept on coming...

Both photos are from the debut day of Music City Star commuter rail service between Lebanon, TN and Nashville. MTA operates two shuttle routes that meet the train at the tiny depot at the end of Broadway. One route serves downtown offices and the state capitol, while the other serves West End, Vanderbilt University and the medical center. In the first photo, that is MTA's general manager conferring with the operator.

The rail line has struggled, with daily ridership topping 1,000 during Summer 2008 when gas got into the $4.30/gallon range. Ridership then settled back down to around 750-800. The artics appear to get plenty of work in Nashville.

And it is off-thread, but MTA has one of the cleanest, best-kept transit systems in North America. Funding is scarce and service levels show it, but they do a lot with what they have.

timecruncher
It isn't your run. Its my run, and I'll let you pick it for the next three months!
We schedulers are so mean!

Last edited by timecruncher on Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to Nova for winning this order.
New Flyer must find this situation difficult to accept.
NF delivered 630 D60HF's to NYCT from 1997 to 2003, most of which still are in service in Manhattan and The Bronx.
Clearly NF and NABI already have proven artics available for sale.
If Orion has an artic design on the drawing board, they'll have to wait for future orders.
I suppose that the disputes between NF and MTA were just too much for both parties.
Nova delivered 1300 RTS-06's to NYCT from 1995-1999, most of which are still in service (mainly at depots in the Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan Divisions, as well as at a few MTAB depots in Queens).
novabuslfsafan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
The pea-green LFS articulated demo that has been roving around the US for a few months came through Louisville a few weeks back and the timecruncher got to drive it from our Union Station office at 10th & Broadway down to the NIA Center at 29th and back.

After almost 36 years in transit (most as a bus driver), finally got to drive an artic. Nice coach. Good ride, easy handling, definitely turned heads all along Broadway, our heaviest transit route and one of three routes where I would like to deploy artics.

It was headed down to Nashville, TN, where MTA has a bunch of high-floor Neoplan and BRT NABI artics. Sales rep said that Opryland was going to run it on their shuttles for a couple of days. I'm sure the old Hee Haw crew would have some one-liners about buses that just kept on coming...

Both photos are from the debut day of Music City Star commuter rail service between Lebanon, TN and Nashville. MTA operates two shuttle routes that meet the train at the tiny depot at the end of Broadway. One route serves downtown offices and the state capitol, while the other serves West End, Vanderbilt University and the medical center. In the first photo, that is MTA's general manager conferring with the operator.

The rail line has struggled, with daily ridership topping 1,000 during Summer 2008 when gas got into the $4.30/gallon range. Ridership then settled back down to around 750-800. The artics appear to get plenty of work in Nashville.

And it is off-thread, but MTA has one of the cleanest, best-kept transit systems in North America. Funding is scarce and service levels show it, but they do a lot with what they have.

timecruncher
It isn't your run. Its my run, and I'll let you pick it for the next three months!
We schedulers are so mean!

ok, Nashville MTA should buy the NOVABus LFSA or LFX to replace those crappy Neoplan artics.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain why the Neoplan artics are 'crappy'?

I’d also point out that the Neoplan high-floor articulated bus was sold for over two decades in the U.S. – time will tell if Nova’s artics do as well.
novabuslfsafan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Please explain why the Neoplan artics are 'crappy'?

I’d also point out that the Neoplan high-floor articulated bus was sold for over two decades in the U.S. – time will tell if Nova’s artics do as well.

Sorry but I can't stand Neoplans, The day any TA that has Neoplan still get rid of them,I'll be happy.

I have my reasons but right now I don't want to explain nor bring it up.

now lets get back on topic.

As for the LFSA and LFX, many TAs will buy them and will get more buyers more then NFI, NABI and Van Hool. Which I'm hoping.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novabuslfsafan wrote:
As for the LFSA and LFX, many TAs will buy them and will get more buyers more then NFI, NABI and Van Hool. Which I'm hoping.

Again, based on what? New Flyer has been winning some huge orders in recent years and its articulated model is very popular. NABI has established a serious foothold in the BRT market. You didn’t mention Orion and Gillig, but neither one is going away. Nova really has its work cut out for it and I wonder how competitive they can be on bids given that their manufacturing sites are located in two of the highest-cost places in North America (Quebec and New York State).
daimlerbuses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind however that Nova and NABI offer something New Flyer does not: Stainless Steel Frames. This is a big sticking point with some transit agencies (New York, etc.) Not to mention that NABI's bids could be more expensive because they only have a BRT variant.

And I'm going to argue your comment about NABI having a strong foothold on the BRT market. They may be BRT styled artics, but it dosen't mean they're being used in a true BRT service. It's really because it's the only articulated product they have to bid with.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daimlerbuses wrote:
Keep in mind however that Nova and NABI offer something New Flyer does not: Stainless Steel Frames.

Not anymore - New Flyer has delivered D40LF's with stainless steel frames to Chicago's CTA and Boston's MBTA, and this feature is noted as an option on their website:

Quote:
Construction
In our standard low-floor models (30, 35, 40, and 60-foot), the chassis and frame are designed and constructed in either heavy-duty, semi-monocoque carbon
or 100% stainless-steel.
daimlerbuses

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
daimlerbuses wrote:
Keep in mind however that Nova and NABI offer something New Flyer does not: Stainless Steel Frames.

Not anymore - New Flyer has delivered D40LF's with stainless steel frames to Chicago's CTA and Boston's MBTA, and this feature is noted as an option on their website:

Quote:
Construction
In our standard low-floor models (30, 35, 40, and 60-foot), the chassis and frame are designed and constructed in either heavy-duty, semi-monocoque carbon
or 100% stainless-steel.

That part hasn't been updated in quite a while, after Chicago switched to Carbon frames NFI decided not to offer Stainless Steel Frames anymore due to the lack of demand. This was cited as one of the reasons why NFI did not get awarded the recent TTC contracts that was tendered in 2008.
novabuslfsafan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
novabuslfsafan wrote:

Again, based on what? New Flyer has been winning some huge orders in recent years and its articulated model is very popular. NABI has established a serious foothold in the BRT market. You didn’t mention Orion and Gillig, but neither one is going away. Nova really has its work cut out for it and I wonder how competitive they can be on bids given that their manufacturing sites are located in two of the highest-cost places in North America (Quebec and New York State).

Just because New Flyer wins huge orders doesn't make them the best but then again they won't be anymore because they have issues, they make cutbacks so they won't be #1. I hope NOVABus or Orion gets to be number 1 only in the future.

As for Gillig and Orion,they don't make artic buses. Orion is gonna make Artic buses in the future.

But I hope NOVABus, Prevost Car and Orion gets more more buyers then New Flyer, NABI, Gillig, MCI, Eldorado and other bus manufacturer in North America.
Lothian

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how having the pilot buses built in Quebec satisfies the 'Made in USA' funding requirements? Shocked
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daimlerbuses wrote:
That part hasn't been updated in quite a while, after Chicago switched to Carbon frames NFI decided not to offer Stainless Steel Frames anymore due to the lack of demand. This was cited as one of the reasons why NFI did not get awarded the recent TTC contracts that was tendered in 2008.

Interesting - I didn't know that. Of course, they could always offer it again in the future if they want to be competitive for an attractive order that requires a stainless frame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: