BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mufflers Should Be Mandatory on Big Rig Trucks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Mufflers Should Be Mandatory on Big Rig Trucks Reply with quote

If mufflers on big rig trucks' stacks aren't mandatory, in my opinion, they most certainly should be. Every day I see quite a few big rigs, chiefly the Peterbilts of an area outfit go through Perry each day and many of these trucks do NOT have mufflers on their stacks. When the driver on one of these activates his Jake brake when coming down Perry's Route 39 hill, the sound makes quite a racket almost enough to wake the dead in a nearby cemetary. Yet we see light duty trucks and cars stopped for noisy exhausts, and yet the exhausts on these big rig trucks are a lot louder than either a pick up's or car's noisy exhaust and yet these vehicles MUST have mufflers, so why don't some of the big rigs have them on their stacks. It is particularly disturbing in the wee hours of the morning when people are trying to sleep or just beginning to stir. I am not trying to knock the trucking industry in anyway, just point out that there are a number of big rig trucks running around without a muffler on either stack. The owner-operator I had gone on the road with during the 1990s was always good about the maintenance of his truck and saw to it that the mufflers on the stacks were replaced as needed. It seems to me that if we are going to have vehicular noise regulations, they should apply to EVERYBODY.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never knew mufflers could be put on the stacks behind the driver. Also though..It is also the drivers choice to turn off the jake too. He could just use a lower gear. I guess it makes them feel more manly.
Cdntruckphotog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the "jake brake" (although there are other brands and JAKE BRAKE is a registered TM) ban in urban areas.
Modern truck transmission often cannot be shifted unless their computer agrees.
However; one old school trucker commented on the plethora of Peterbilts:
"Peterbilts are like a**holes...everyone has one."
He was a Kenworth man.
I argue that fuel isn't expensive enough when the Peterbilt crowd can afford to operate.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortlineMCI wrote:
I never knew mufflers could be put on the stacks behind the driver. Also though..It is also the drivers choice to turn off the jake too. He could just use a lower gear. I guess it makes them feel more manly.

Mufflers have always been there behind the driver except recently.
Now the driver's choice to turn off his Jacob's Brake is his choice and makes him liable if the wheel brakes fail.
Use a lower gear and make the engine really loud?
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cdntruckphotog wrote:
I agree with the "jake brake" (although there are other brands and JAKE BRAKE is a registered TM) ban in urban areas.
Modern truck transmission often cannot be shifted unless their computer agrees.
However; one old school trucker commented on the plethora of Peterbilts:
"Peterbilts are like a**holes...everyone has one."
He was a Kenworth man.
I argue that fuel isn't expensive enough when the Peterbilt crowd can afford to operate.

1) a good driver can make that computer pay attention
2) Peterbilts are as good a truck as Kenworth. Made by the same company
PACCAR.
with a few minor differences they both hold to a very high standard.
Kenworth is the World's best but Peterbilt is a damn good truck.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I forgot to mention this one thing.
When you are driving a big rig, 18 wheeler, semi , whatever you may want to call them, you need to know that their characteristics are not the same as a pickup truck's in every sense.
They have engines that work at low R.P.M.s and have high torque so they use very high gears.
You can come down a 5 percent grade in 1st gear and that engine will not hold the load and you may over rev the engine and do damage
and can you imagine the traffic you would have behind you as you go down a mountain at 3 M.P.H?
Unlike a pickup truck your big trucks will not slow down when you take your foot of the gas pedal.
If the hill is long and steep enough the brake shoes get hot and lose their grip, just like a train does.
get your brakes hot enough and the whole truck burns up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: