BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'A CROSS SECTION OF NASSAU COUNTY (NY) MACKS'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: 'A CROSS SECTION OF NASSAU COUNTY (NY) MACKS' Reply with quote

Here is a cross section of Mack's that operated in and to Nassau County, New York.

In order, they are;

Bee Line (NFT front end)
Jamaica Buses (note the Queens/Nassau ACF in the background)
Jamaica Buses (ex Green Line #113)
Long Beach Bus Company
Hempstead Bus Corporation (group portrait)
Hempstead Bus Corporation
Hempstead Bus Corporation (Suburban)
Jamaica Buses (demonstrator)

Note; the Jamaica demonstrator made the rounds of Green and Triboro as well while, at the same time, GM was showcasing a 5103.

Hempstead Bus photos courtesy of Dennis M. Linsky

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr "L" -

Bee Line with the upgrade wipers? The rest of the story, I wonder? What's that venerable conventional in the background?...

Hempstead 403? The "rare bird" award?

......................Vern...................
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

403 seems to be a rare bird. To be photographed with a Rambler station wagon in the background......precious.

Also the last pcicture of the JBL Mack shows how surburban the area around Belmont Racetrack once was. Look at the entrance sign for the Cross Island Parkway.

Alan

n
HwyHaulier wrote:
Mr "L" -

Bee Line with the upgrade wipers? The rest of the story, I wonder? What's that venerable conventional in the background?...

Hempstead 403? The "rare bird" award?

......................Vern...................
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I note with interest that some properties just did not like GM coaches, purchasing Macks until they could no longer get 'em, then early new look Flxibles (which were crap). That C50 looks mighty fine, but just could not compete with the new look GM coach for design or performance.

Trivia, I just noticed: Some Macks had typical 3-piece wheels, while other systems bought with the traditional Mack 'spoked' wheels. Ours in Louisville were of the former, and were re-engined early on with Detroit 6-71 engines and Spicer 2-speed automatic transmissions. They lasted up to the new look era in 1961 (I was 10 years old), but alas, I never got any photos of them.

timecruncher

Hey - my father bought Ramblers for many years, ending the love affair with Kenosha-built products with a Pacer. Goofiest car I ever saw, but it was so wide!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.C.,

The big problem with Mack especially after the war were the 'all hydraulic' systems which drew many complaints from operators (even those who were devout prewar customers) because of continuous oil leaks (even the doors were hydraulic!).

Conversely, GM went with air on everything and never had any problems.

Yes, there were a number of devout Mack customers including Surface Transportation which was the biggest in New York and they stuck with Mack almost to the bitter end.

Green Line (NY) - my Alma Mater - was also strictly Mack and would have continued as such after the war had Mack not pulled the carpet out from under them!

Jamaica, on the other hand, only went to Mack post war after many years with Twin Coach.

Go figure!

Pictured below in a factory pose is one of the last Green Line Mack buses.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: