BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scenicruisers: When did retirement begin?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Scenicruisers: When did retirement begin? Reply with quote

I know that the Scenicruiser-era on Greyhound lasted into the 70s, but am curious as to when the first retirements began. I have a video that features home movie footage of California buses from about 1950 to the early/mid-70s.

There is one sequence that looks to be filmed around 1972 or thereabouts (judging by the other vehicles on the highway) showing several Scenicruisers (and 4104s) obviously on a charter; the coaches are lettered for "PACIFIC CHARTER BUS COMPANY".

So, if this film footage is indeed about 1972 or thereabouts, it would obviously mean that Greyhound had already started to purge them from its roster. Appreciate any info you might have, thank you!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO2629,

You're probably right in the ballpark with the time frame on the demise of Greyhound's Scenicruisers.

The mid to late sixties saw the 4104's and 4106's making a meaningful presence, and a close knit relationship budding between the company and Motor Coach Industries.

Out of the 1,000 PD 4501's built, only a handful were scrapped with most runners going to private charter companies.

However, as can be seen below, some found their way around the world in the most unsuspecting places.

Enjoy.

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: Gonna have to start calling you "Miracle Man"(!!) Shocked A SCENICRUISER in KOREA?? Shocked Shocked Man, who woulda thought(!!) Shocked Greatly appreciate your info and input! Very Happy As I stated in my original post, this film footage showed a charter operated by the PACIFIC CHARTER BUS COMPANY; this was obviously a BUSY charter, as several Scenicruisers and 4104s were doing the honors

. So.....if PACIFIC CHARTER purchased ex-Greyhound Scenicruisers, perhaps thier 4104s also came from Greyhound. Seems pretty plausible, IMHO. And, as I had also stated earlier, judging by the cars and trucks on the highways, it seemed a reasonable guess that footage was shot around 1972. Thanks again! John
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting and odd use for a second hand Scenicruiser!

Enjoy.

Mr. 'L'

roymanning2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The retirement of the Scenicruisers, other than wrecks, began in 1968-1969 when MC7's started to be delivered in significant numbers. The very first sale of a Scenicruiser to an operator other than Greyhound occurred in 1969. The purchaser was Michaud Bus Lines of Salem, MA.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: I came across that rare shot of a "Scenicruiser Car Carrier" awhile ago....knocked me for a loop, for sure!! Sure must have been one VERY interesting "charter" run..... Very Happy Thanks for posting! John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
The retirement of the Scenicruisers, other than wrecks, began in 1968-1969 when MC7's started to be delivered in significant numbers. The very first sale of a Scenicruiser to an operator other than Greyhound occurred in 1969. The purchaser was Michaud Bus Lines of Salem, MA.

Roy
Hi, Roy: Thanks for this info! Figured that the Scenicruisers (and the 4104s) would have started to be purged from the fleet once the new MC's started rolling onto the property. Certainly, Greyhound's finest era was about to close forever..... John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also: http://www.scenicruiser.com/ http://www.pacbus.org/pbmnews/news06.shtml
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - Roy - Mr "L" - Colleagues -

No, I am not going to go look it up, but... Perhaps the Scenicruisers subject to a Dept. of Treasury - IRS, Useful Life of fifteen (15) years
accepted in the Depreciation Schedules?

Greyhound, in the Bad, Old Days of strong cash flows, had amazing strength in its ability to finance First Line Of The Fleet vehicles. Also,
with the Scenicruisers, not to forget they didn't run like Swiss watches. The initial dual motors concept simply didn't work well. In turn,
it led to endless, and increasingly elevated, bickering between GL and GM (Jackson, and other sources.) Besides, GL was in to MCI,
anyway...

Compare, Continental Trailways got lucky with its Eagle plans...

..................Vern..............
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy this "Gallery Of Glory"!! Very Happy http://www.scenicruiser.com/gallery.htm
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting non-Greyhound Scenicruiser photo; note coach is lettered for "MICHAUD". Still a VERY spiffy and sporty-looking coach!! Very Happy http://www.scenicruiser.com/images/redden/mic4501.jpg
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: How Many Scenicruisers are Still Running and on the Road Reply with quote

Does anyone have any rough idea of how many of these buses are still operational and on the road?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: How Many Scenicruisers are Still Running and on the Road Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
Does anyone have any rough idea of how many of these buses are still operational and on the road?
Dieseljim: The webmaster of the awesome, now-gone STRAYHOUND site (Man, do I miss that site!!) was attempting to track down and catalogue EVERY remaining Scenicruiser, roadworthy or not. A FORMIDABLE undertaking, you may be sure.

But, as STRAYHOUND has been gone for quite some time now, we have no way of knowing IF this noble venture ever got started. From what I've heard in the past, remarkably, a good chunk of the Scenicruiser fleet is still with us; hopefully, some one more "in the know" might be able to shed some light on this.... John
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Motor Bus Society's Directory of Preserved Coaches (dated October 1989) there were three listed 4501's as follows;

Greyhound Lines , Inc. of Dallas, TX (former Pennsylvania Greyhound fleet number P5446).

Ralph Cantos, Los Angeles (former Southwest Greyhound Lines Fleet number S 102) (Ralph, who was a friend of mine, sold all his buses to one of his colleagues some years ago).

Andy Henedrson of Weedsport, NY (for Atlantic Greyhound fleet number A2208) (Andy is a large collector of buses).

There was also a guy up in Fullerton, Ca. who used one for me in a commercial but I don't know what his story is now.

I would say that there may be as many as twenty five or more Scenicruisers that have been saved for posterity and that it's just a question of finding and cataloging them.

Mr. 'L'
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good friend of mine in Baltimore has one stored at MTA's Bush Street facility. Don't know if it is operational or not.

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: