BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Ride The Surface Way" Macks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: "Ride The Surface Way" Macks Reply with quote

Back in the early 60s, I remember these classic coaches distinctly. Were these ever repainted into NYCTA two-tone green, or did they all wear thier original schemes until retirement? When did these buses last operate, and what routes were they last used on? If I'm not mistaken, I can remember them on the 42nd St. Crosstown line in the early 60s. Thank you for any info! Very Happy
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO2629,

The only thing that I can tell you for sure is that once Fifth Avenue took over Surface in 1956, any new equipment delivered to Surface carried the green and cream livery of both Fifth Avenue and New York City Omnibus.

I have no memory of any 'Ride The Surface Way' Macks making it beyond the 1962 city takeover and, if they did, I doubt that they would have been repainted.

However, we have an expert on such matters at GMOldLookBus by the name of Vince who could give you the facts in a New York minute!

What I will do is pose the question for you and see what comes of it.

In the meantime, enjoy the rare photo below that originally appeared in the New York Journal American.

I believe it was taken on the 42nd. Street Crosstown route at Fifth Avenue (note the special Fifth Avenue bronze traffic signals).

Photo credit; eBay

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr, Linksky: THANK YOU for posting that truly NOSTALGIC photo, as well as your info! Much appreciated! Very Happy I think you are correct about none of the "Surface Way" Macks going beyond the 1962 City takeover; I was just a little kid back then, but I DO remember that I was quite young when I encountered them on family excursions in Manhattan. The NYCTA-purchased Macks, on the other hand, I remember lasting well into the late 60s; the last one I rode was on a Staten Island route out of St. Geoege, around 1968. I never knew about the historic Avenue B & East Broadway fleet until years after the company had become history itself! However, as so many local Jersey "indies" utilized Macks well into the 60s, I'm happy to say I have MANY memories of these solid, distinctive, wonderful old Macks! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of NYCTA Macks, how about this wonderful old street scene, dating ftom 1956? Very Happy Sure makes you feel your age when you can remember such classic coaches in action! Rolling Eyes http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1782
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of nostalgic views from the 50s, showing Surface Transit Macks in action! Very Happy (Pelham Parkway & Bronx River Parkway) Where did all the years go?? Rolling Eyes http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1548 http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1549
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pre-war "Surface" Mack looks a bit "battle scarred", but, surely, STILL got the job done! Macks, without a doubt, were built to "take a lickin', and keep on tickin'!!" Very Happy http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1552
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO2629,

Nice Pictures!

Here's a few more to add to your collection.

Enjoy.

Images used for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: MANY thanks for those VERY nostalgic old Mack photos! Sure brings back a lot of great old memories!! Very Happy I was VERY familiar with Macks in NJ, back in the 60s, and I can STILL hear thier snorts, growls, and hisses in my sleep!! Shocked Ahh, to go back in time, and savor the intoxicating aromas of a Mack hard at work in the summertime.....diesel fuel, hot oil, paint, leather seats......aaah, man!! I'm REALLY showing my age now!! Rolling Eyes
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LET THE NOSTALGIA ROLL!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roll on, sweet (Mack) nostalgia....... Very Happy http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?7 http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?17
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suburban Macks ALWAYS had that distinct "commanding" look about them, as is evident by this handsome Avenue B & E. Broadway coach!! Very Happy MAGNIFICENT old bus!! Very Happy And, to my knowledge, the ONLY Mack surburban still surviving (at least in preservation) is an ex-Bay Area (SF) Greyhound C49DM: http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?34
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC2629,

So you say you like New Jersey Mack's - no problemendo!

BTW; I agree with you because Mack buses were 'Built Like a Mack Truck'!

Also BTW; all of the photos that I have posted in this thread were each the centerpiece of an article in my 'Bus Nostalgia' series which may be found under 'Manufacturers' on this site (check the Bus Nostalgia Index in the same forum for descriptions and page numbers).

Enjoy.

All images used for educational purposes only.

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: Please permit me to say one word: "WOW!!" Shocked Shocked Shocked JEEPERS CREEPERS, I CAN'T BELIEVE MY PEEPERS!! Shocked Shocked Those old buses are WAY beyond NOSTALGIC!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy The "CENTRAL AVENUE" Mack C-33 I WELL remember from my childhood days (its northern "CITY LINE" terminal was only several blocks south of where I grew up!! Very Happy

I've already seen the pic, though, in my copy of "MACK BUSES 1900-1960 PHOTO ARCHIVE; the prewar "WASHINGTON STREET" bus simply BOGGLED MY MIND!!! Shocked Shocked I REMEMBER THAT SAME BUS, and also remember RIDING it!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

I recall VERY well that, back in the 60s, the Washington St. Line (defunct for a number of years now) was a virtual "Living Bus Museum", operating second and third-hand coaches from various properties!! Very Happy

It's been about 44 years (at least!) since I've last seen that ancient Mack!!! Shocked The coaches in the other pics really took my breath away!!!

Man, if we could ONLY go back in time...I am SO tired of bland, white shoe boxes on rubber tires, masquerading as buses!! Mad I REALLY miss the beloved old relics of my kid days!! Sad Again, my friend, THANK YOU!!!!! Very Happy You've brought back some really HAPPY memories for me!!!! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a scene that is straight from my memory bank!! Very Happy Journal Square (Jersey City, NJ) in early 1964, with three vintage North Hudson Boulevard buses awaiting departure time! These buses ran RIGHT BY our old Union City apartment building when I was growing up, and it was these humble vehicles that got me hooked on buses (and public transit in general) at age of ONE!! Shocked Shocked

This beautiful, nostalgic shot clearly recalls the colorful diversity of the NHBL fleet that I knew and loved so well! Here we see a Mack in the company of a White 1144 (company also rostered 798's), and an Old Look (seen at rear). I cannot tell you how many times Mom and I boarded the #1 local here for home, back in the 60s!

Note the "5" card in the windshield of the White. That signified that the bus was operating on the JSQ-PABT #5, which also ran right by our house, and, also, was a line we rode countless times when I was growing up.

Sadly, it was only a few more years before both the Macks and the Whites were removed from the NHBL roster, and most of the Old Looks were purged by the mid-later 70s, save for the very few that lasted into the 80s. Sad Every time I look at this wonderful old picture, I truly feel as though I've gone home again!! Very Happy Very Happy http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?650
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B-139......the ONLY surviving NHBL Mack; and, quite possibly, the ONLY NHBL bus of ANY type still in existence today. After one suffered an engine fire on 15th St. and the Boulevard around 1968 ( I personally recall seeing this), I never saw Macks operate on the "Boulvard Route" again.

By this time, Fishbowls had already made inroads into the NHBL fleet, causing the venerable Whites and the oldest of the Old Looks to be retired.

Wonder how many times I watched this ancient relic rumbling by our old apartment building....and wonder how many times Mom and I rode it, so long ago..... http://www.njthc.org/collection/iboab139.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: