BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PHOTOS - Springfield, Mass.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: PHOTOS - Springfield, Mass. Reply with quote

We made a brief stop on our July 17th trip through Connecticut to check out the scene in Springfield, Mass. When I last visited the area in 2005, Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) featured a 100% RTS fleet, but several orders of Gillig Low-Floor buses have been delivered in recent years.

PVTA has also unveiled a new standard paint scheme with the Gillig buses. Previously, PVTA buses were painted in a fairly standard scheme of white with a belt stripe in one of four colors (red, blue, green or purple) which corresponded to its network of color-coded routes. There were also a few all-white buses which were necessary to avoid operating the wrong color bus on a route. The color-coded routes remain, but PVTA has decided to take advantage of programmable color LED destination signs instead of different-colored buses to match vehicles with routes. We'll see how well this works - maybe it's me, but I found the blue and the red LED signs hard to read. Some RTS buses have been repainted in the newer scheme, but most are still in the older scheme and we saw one example of the 'wrong' bus on a route (a blue RTS operating on a 'Red' route).

All-white RTS #1128 on a 'Green' route passing blue RTS #1104 on a 'Red' route

The dispatcher got this one right

The auxiliary destination sign on the dash is a neat touch

Enjoy!

Jim D.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

Here's a little bit of pre PVTA.

Actually, when it was Springfield Street Railway Company and owned by the New York New Haven and Hartford Railroad.

Number 170 is a pre-war ACF of the 'H' series.

Photo credit; Motor Bus Society.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Bill D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: PHOTOS - Springfield, Mass. Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
The color-coded routes remain, but PVTA has decided to take advantage of programmable color LED destination signs instead of different-colored buses to match vehicles with routes. We'll see how well this works - maybe it's me, but I found the blue and the red LED signs hard to read.

Jim D.

Jim,

I agree with you on the signs being hard to read. I feel that clearly identifiable route information is more helpful to the public.

BTW, the ACF that Mr Linsky shows here was sold to Northeast Transportation around 1953, and ran in Waterbury until about 1960 as Northeast #8.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: