BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Beach Bus questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaglo,

First let me take this opportunity to not only welcome you to BusTalk but to hope that you're enjoying your Thanksgiving respite - we look forward to your comments and contributions.

While I don't doubt that there may have been a tracked trolley line in Long Beach, it must well have been very short lived because there is really very little in records and, as you can see by the Mack Model 'AB' that I had posted above from the mid twenties, Long Beach has been into buses for a long time!

However, any information that I can gather on the subject, I will be happy to pass along to you.

What was certainly more in the public eye in those days was the infamous Mayor Reynolds who I believe was eventually assassinated if I'm correct.

Regards,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA-2 (temporary)

I did a little research and it seems that Long Beach could be in the running for one of the most corrupt areas in the country at the turn of the last century. However you've got your mayors mixed up.

1 - William H. Reynolds was indicted for perjury before coming mayor, but the charge was tossed because of prosecutorial delay. He was subsequently found guilty and removed from office for stealing money from the City of Long Beach. See link below. scroll down to William H. Reynolds

http://politicalgraveyard.com/bio/reynolds.html#0GB005P7O

2 - Mayor Lewis Edwards who was shot in front of his house in 1939 by a member of his security detail after losing the election for PBA president. Scroll down to the "corruption" section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Beach,_New_York

ECA - 1

"Still the greatest, often imitated, never duplicated " - Frankie Crocker
Eaglo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Long Beach Ry Company Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the kind welcome, and I do hope everyone here enjoyed a nice holiday. I've attached a photo of one of the trolley buses that ran here between 1923 and 1926.

Yes, Long Beach probably topped the nation in corruption. There was a spillover of Tammany Hall characters who were constantly at odds with the home-spun Long Beach crowd. The State Police even had to build road blocks on election day to stop bus loads of voters coming in from Brooklyn...

The trolley operation, I believe was sold in '26 to a fellow named Frank Frankel, the mayor who followed Reynolds. Frankel owned both the Long Beach Bus Company and the Long Beach Railway, giving him a monopoly on the beach.

The company was formed on January 19, 1923 with the director named as J. BRUCE ROBERTSON.

Anything you can add would be appreciated. The photo is from the Nassau County Museum collection, taken at the same location as the photo of the Gillig buses posted above by Mr. Linsky, looking northwest instead of northeast.

Eaglo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: More Long Beach Railway Reply with quote

Just catching up here if anyone ever reads this thread.

The Long Beach Railway operated six of those rail buses. They were actually Reos, with two delivered in 1923 and the arriving the following year. Reo Jamaica Sales Co. on Hillside Avenue was the supplier, whose company president A. Meyer claimed they were the first buses to be equipped with railroad wheels.

The cars were about 25 feet long and had longitudinal seating.

The first trip was made in October, 1923.

The route traveled along Park Avenue from Maple Boulevard through the West End. Two human-operated turntables permitted the buses to be turned. An 80 x 40 carbarn provided shop areas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: