BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Trucks on U.S. Highways

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Mexican Trucks on U.S. Highways Reply with quote

Recently the subject of Mexican trucks on our highways has come up in newscasts. Why they should still be banned from our highways included thefollowing: These trucks are so unsafe that they will NOT pass a DOT roadside inspection. Even if NAFTA treaty requires it, they should still be excluded. First there is the matter of highway safety, especially school buses packed with 60 or more kids. It is reasonable to assume that many of them have faulty brakes and Icould imagine one whose driver is having problems with his brakes plowing into a stopped school bus at high speed. The trailers, too. No telling what contraband they may be carrying, drugs, human cargo, even terrorists wishing to do us harm? We owe it to ourselves our fellow travelers and our Canadian friends to keep these rolling junkheaps off our highways. Unless we wish to see these dangerous timebombs on wheels plow into stopped schoolbuses filled with kids and picking up more. The resulting carnage, in my book, would amount to an act of war.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, sorry. but you really don't know what you are talking about here. Your fears are not supported by a single fact in the real world. I work in logistics for a major manufacturing company and we use numerous trucking companies in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The average Mexican truck is indistinguishable from an American or Canadian truck (in fact, many of their trailers are already traveling on American highways thanks to interchange agreements with U.S. trucking companies). Their drivers are comparable in training, professionalism and skill. The idea that these are a bunch of banditos in 18-wheelers is a complete fiction.

Think about it - over the past several decades, a huge manufacturing trade has developed between the U.S., Canada and Mexico. Citizens in each of the three countries benefit enormously from goods produced in the other two. This trade is only possible due to the presence of a strong rail and road transportation system. If Mexican trucks were as bad as you believe, no one would bother to set up a single plant or distribution center in that country.

This entire issue has been co-opted by ignorant politicians and others who have no idea what they are talking about. The school kids in buses that you are worried about have far more to fear from distracted American citizens fiddling with their cell phones while driving than they do with a Mexican trucker.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally don't take sides in these discussions, but I have to give RB63 a 'well done' on this one!

It's those propagandists that occasionally land an interview on that 'Fair and Balanced' Fox News channel with what are probably doctored pictures of Mexican big rigs with bald tires.

I visit in San Diego often and I see the semi's coming up from Mexico and let me tell you that they are mostly brand new Freightliners and Peterbuilts kept in pristine condition, and are the envy of their Trucking Association.

The days of 'Banditos' are long gone (if they ever existed at all!).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...It's those propagandists that occasionally land an interview on that 'Fair and Balanced' Fox News channel with what are probably doctored pictures of Mexican big rigs with bald tires...

Mr. "L" - Perhaps we need to consider fairness to all the assorted news sources competing for our time? I can think of others who are well deserving
for consideration in any competition for sloppiest and worst reporting in any topical area. Might be some kind of perverse "Emmy" award?

Dieseljim - Oh, we all know what is happening here. It is a valiant attempt at labor protection by some concerned and interested groups. They should
recall how they were stabbed in the back with deregulation. Ready again for more stabs in the back, are they? Gotta' say they are hardy!

..................Vern............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: My Brother Was Almost Killed in a Teebone Crash Reply with quote

Point Well taken. Over a year ago, my brother, who is a truckdriver was nearly killed in a teebone accident where another truck, one loaded with newsprint plowed into his truck RIGHT AT THE CAB AND ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE NO LESS. Luckily it took him only two to three months before he was driving again, albeit with a partner riding with him just in case. I have been to so damn many funerals now, most of them fellow Fire Department members that had I had to bury my brother,too, I can gurantee you I would be out for blood, especialy that of the one who took his life. Luckily my brother is driving again and making his deliveries like clockwork. I guess you are right, Heavyhauler, but please understand where I am coming from. I have had my fill of needless tragedy thank you very much and all I want to do is prevent someone else from burying a loved one who died because of someone's monumental screw ups. Thanks for setting me straight on this one.
RailBus63 wrote:
Jim, sorry. but you really don't know what you are talking about here. Your fears are not supported by a single fact in the real world. I work in logistics for a major manufacturing company and we use numerous trucking companies in the United States, Canada and Mexico. The average Mexican truck is indistinguishable from an American or Canadian truck (in fact, many of their trailers are already traveling on American highways thanks to interchange agreements with U.S. trucking companies). Their drivers are comparable in training, professionalism and skill. The idea that these are a bunch of banditos in 18-wheelers is a complete fiction.

Think about it - over the past several decades, a huge manufacturing trade has developed between the U.S., Canada and Mexico. Citizens in each of the three countries benefit enormously from goods produced in the other two. This trade is only possible due to the presence of a strong rail and road transportation system. If Mexican trucks were as bad as you believe, no one would bother to set up a single plant or distribution center in that country.

This entire issue has been co-opted by ignorant politicians and others who have no idea what they are talking about. The school kids in buses that you are worried about have far more to fear from distracted American citizens fiddling with their cell phones while driving than they do with a Mexican trucker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

If my comments helped to, perhaps, ease your pains and grief just a bit, I'll guess I did a bit of good...

The intent wasn't that of setting you straight. You are well aware of the vicious, and otherwise unproductive results of deregulation of the industry.
It isn't my conclusion. I simply check statements from widely recognized Cass Bank of St. Louis, and numerous other excellent sources...

.................Vern............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, I sure appreciate that. I see enough loons on the road as it is. You may be onto something there.
HwyHaulier wrote:
Dieseljim -

If my comments helped to, perhaps, ease your pains and grief just a bit, I'll guess I did a bit of good...

The intent wasn't that of setting you straight. You are well aware of the vicious, and otherwise unproductive results of deregulation of the industry.
It isn't my conclusion. I simply check statements from widely recognized Cass Bank of St. Louis, and numerous other excellent sources...

.................Vern............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: