BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'YOU NAME IT, AND I'LL DO AN ARTICLE ON IT!'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: 'YOU NAME IT, AND I'LL DO AN ARTICLE ON IT!' Reply with quote

Here's one for the books (unless everyone else knows about it other than me!)

Does it look like a GM New Look with a GM Classic rear end or are my eyes deceiving me.

As Chris Matthews would say; "Tell me something I don't know!".

I'll take a stab at it by saying that it might have been a prototype out of GMDD in London, Ontario (but that's just a guess!).

Credit; within frame.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

kevlaf983

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 'YOU NAME IT, AND I'LL DO AN ARTICLE ON IT!' Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

I'll take a stab at it by saying that it might have been a prototype out of GMDD in London, Ontario (but that's just a guess!).

Palling (Hamilton, ON) did some of these New Look "mods" in the early 90's.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I love about being part of our little fraternity is the fact that there's always someone out there that knows the answers!

I have to thank A. Wong of Canadian Discussion for the below contribution which I have unofficially dubbed a 'New Look Classic'.

This particular re-make is still in operation for Strathcona County in Alberta, Canada as an emergency operations center for their Fire Department.

I particularly like the updated headlights and the cleaner look of the rear end.

Apparently, there were very few of these rebuilds and I am uncertain as to whether any made it to the U.S.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L,

Some city in Georgia, Athens, I believe, had some fishbowls that were similar to this. Sort of looked like an RTS from the rear. I think they were done by Midwest Bus Rebuilders in Owosso, MI.

Roy
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Midwest Bus offered the "Phoneix 1000" Fishbowl rebuilds in the late 1980s/early '90s. The ad below ran in Bus World in 1989. Grand Rapids, Michigan ran some of these jackalopes, seen in the lower photo by Mel Bernero.

RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bus in Athens GA also ran some of these in the mid 1990's.
tovinman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is known as the Paling Älouette bus, named for Paling Bus Inc. öf Hamilton, Ontario They had a small line remanufacturing New Looks
and did six of them. The unit pictured was one of the first two done and it
was originally a TDH4519.

One of their trademarks was incorporating the fiberglass "Classic"upper rear cap (c. 1989) with the rear window into their rebuilds
tovinman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, it is NOT the same bus that went to Strathcona County, theirs was the third unit done and it was originally a London Transit Commission TDH4519.

The other three were 40x102 and went to Autobus Monette in Quebec; I
believe these started out as T8H5307As for GO Transit.

Also on the same topic, Midwest Bus Rebuilders of Owosso, MI did some similar looking units which someone mentioned in this thread. The front ends featured square headlights (not rectangular!) with rectangular turn signals above mounted in an integrated pod. However, as I recall their rebuilds featured RTS upper rear caps rather than Classic parts.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tovinman wrote:
Also on the same topic, Midwest Bus Rebuilders of Owosso, MI did some similar looking units which someone mentioned in this thread. The front ends featured square headlights (not rectangular!) with rectangular turn signals above mounted in an integrated pod. However, as I recall their rebuilds featured RTS upper rear caps rather than Classic parts.

Yes, there's a rear photo of one in another thread on RTS rebuilds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: