BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CT] Waterbury buses in Arcadia trolley album

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: [CT] Waterbury buses in Arcadia trolley album Reply with quote

"Waterbury Trolleys" is one of the best Arcadia volumes I have seen. Bus fans might be interested in the photos on these pages:
Page 4 -- Connecticut Company fishbowl 1712, an experimental railbus preserved by the Connecticut Motor Coach Museum. Excellent photo.
Page 25 -- two Yellow Coaches in a car barn.
Page 30 -- Connecticut Company 36, built by White Truck Co. 1933. Twenty-three seats, top speed 15 mph. Clear photo.
Page 31 -- A 1920's line-up of 7 Yellow Coaches, with three body types.
Page 32 -- A 1921 REO. Also Connecticut Company 126, a 1926 Yellow Coach Z-219, seating 23.
Page 57 -- A postwar GM, photo in the 1950's. Vents over the front window, as I well recall from The Bronx. I cannot determine if the passenger windows are paired.
Page 58 -- Exceptionally clear photo of a White bus, Cooke Street Lines no. 7.
Page 59 -- Interior view of a woman driving an ACF bus for the Connecticut Railway and Lighting.
Page 61 -- Two 1936 Mack buses over carbarn pits.
Page 72 -- C. R. & L. Lines 746 at gasoline pump.
Page 72 -- C. R. & L. Lines 404, built 1936 by ACF.
------
Often I complain of murky photos and inadequate captions in Arcadia books. In this volume, however, the text is extraordinary helpful and photos well above par.
-----
The ISBN number is 0-7385-3811-6. I chanced upon it at the store at the Shore Line Trolley Museum, East Haven.
Bill D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me that the next time I run into the authors of this book, I have to reprimand them for not including any pictures of Northeast Transportation Co. buses in the book. (Surprising, since the Connecticut Motor Coach Museum has the last existing ACF model H-17-S bus in its collection, which was operated by Northeast from 1953 until 1970.)

But seriously, this book is well done, and the photos and captioning are excellent. One thing I discovered after reading this book was that the Waterbury and Milldale Tramway carbarn, shown on the last page of the book, still exists. It is presently being used by a electrical contractor.

The authors did obtain many records from CR&L after that company ceased operations in the early 1970's, and I believe that some of the pictures used in this book were "official" company photos. This is a book that I would also highly recommend.

Bill Dobkins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: