BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FACCO Book To Launch (Oct. 2009)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: FACCO Book To Launch (Oct. 2009) Reply with quote

Iconografix will release a new paperback book about FACCO in Oct. 2009 .
It currently is available for discount pre-release purchase on Amazon.com.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up Mr. 65A ( or should we abbreviate your handle as QT ?).

As a long time rider of the #15 bus I can't wait to see what the preview looks like.

Alan Aron A/K/A Hart Bus
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, for those of us not from Gotham, what on earth is FACCO?

timecruncher
Reporter, asking 104 year-old lady what its like to be that old:
Answer -- "No peer pressure!"
RailBus63

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fifth Avenue Coach Company, the former operator of bus lines on its namesake avenue in New York City.

Technically, there were several bus companies over the years which used the Fifth Avenue name. Fifth Avenue Transportation Company was the first operator of public transportation on the always-exclusive avenue and ran horse buses from 1885 to 1896 (no rails were ever laid along Fifth Avenue). Fifth Avenue Coach Company was in existence from 1896 until 1954 when it was merged with New York City Omnibus (NYCO). The FACCo name disappeared, only to reappear two years later when NYCO would be renamed Fifth Avenue Coach Lines. The Fifth Avenue name would disappear for good after a 1962 strike when the Transit Authority took over and named the conglomeration the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MaBSTOA).

Hope this helps.

Jim D.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't ask for a more concise explanation. Thanks!

Smaller cities like Louisville had their share of overlapping transit operations, but nothing on the scale of New York, of course.

Louisville Transit Company - most service in the city plus Middletown and Valley Station;

Blue Motor Coach - Five suburban routes that overlapped LTC along Bardstown Road and Taylorsville Road, and competed directly through the Camp Taylor area;

Kentucky Bus Lines - Two suburban routes with decent service to Lagrange, Okolona and Shepherdsville, plus an intercity component with service to Paducah and 'bridge' service between Louisville and Leitchfield, KY for Continental Trailways' ridiculous Indianapolis - Nashville route;

Eastern Greyhound Lines - lots of intercity service, of course, but an unbelievable level of service 24 hours a day between the Louisville terminal, Fort Knox and Elizabethtown. The Fort Knox-E'town service lasted well into the 1970's, and used just about anything that was sitting around the parking lot. I never saw any commuter-type equipment used for this service. After the Vietnam thing wound down, the service did as well. The last two Greyhound trips between Louisville and Elizabethtown via Fort Knox was discontinued a couple of years ago.

Daisy Line - One route bus line running from downtown Louisville to the Daisy Depot at Market Street and Vincennes Street in New Albany, a 'hub' for -

Home Transit - Local transit service in and around New Albany, IN and a "crosstown" route from New Albany to Clarksville and Jeffersonville;

Bridge Transit - Two-route bus line connecting downtown Louisville and Jeffersonville and between downtown Louisville and Clarksville in Indiana. The only outfit in town to run Fageol-Twin coaches (well into the sixties, I might add), and the first to own newlook GM coaches by over a year in January 1960!

All of these carriers lasted into the early seventies, believe it or not. Kentucky Bus Line and Bridge Transit were the first to give it up as ridership dwindled. Blue Motor Coach refused the initial purchase offer from the newly-formed Transit Authority of River City in 1974, but eventually sold out in 1975 for essentially the same price offered originally.

Daisy Line and Home Transit, two outfits that shared owners and a garage (one was interstate, the other intrastate), soldiered on until the company lost the New Albany Consolidated Schools contract in 1975 or 76. Mike Sodrel's Free Enterprise System took over their certificates and routes, and re-designed it into a hub-and-spoke system with one route circling between Louisville, New Albany, Clarksville and Jeffersonville, connecting with shuttles to Jeff, various New Albany destinations and Old Clarksville. He continued to run the service for a few years, finally giving it up to TARC.

timecruncher
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It now appears this book will be ready to ship from Amazon during the 1st week in November.
One thing I like about Amazon.com is that they always keep you informed about the status of your orders.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
It now appears this book will be ready to ship from Amazon during the 1st week in November.
One thing I like about Amazon.com is that they always keep you informed about the status of your orders.

According to an e-mail I got from Amazon.com at 5:52 PM EDT yesterday (Monday Oct 12), it is expected to arrive on 11/02/09. Don't know if that is the date the books arrive at Amazon or in our mailboxes. It was only about a week or so ago, that I got an e-mail saying that delivery was unsure and did I still want it.

To tell the truth I had forgotten about it since the order was placed in August. Glad they didn't forget. Be nice to hopefully see pictures of the #15 route again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: