BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fullington Trailways Acquired by a French Company

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Fullington Trailways Acquired by a French Company Reply with quote

A contact I have who does work for New York Trailways has told me that Fullington Trailways has been acquired by a French Company, since neither of Dick Fullington's offspring seem to have wanted the business. After the mess that was made of Empire Trailways of Rochester,NY back in 1994, I cannot help but wonder if that same fate awaits Fullington, especially since French owners who may or may not know about the bus business are now involved. Fullington is New York Trailways' main connection (possibly only connection) to Pittsburgh at Buffalo. Frankly I cannnot help but be leery about this latest transaction since it was a French woman who destroyed Empire Trailways of Rochester,NY. That story I already covered that. Suffice to say, most everyone at Empire hated Mrs. Park. Let's see how this one plays out, not only for Fullington's sake, but for the employees, the passengers and the communities that company serves as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if there is money to be made running the scheduled service, it doesn't make any difference where the people who own it are from.

Strangely enough, in much of Europe and the U.K., intercity bus operations are mostly private and survive on revenues from fares. Lest we forget, Megabus is a U.K.-owned entity that has brought a successful business model from across the pond to the U.S.

What I find interesting is that European entrepreneurs look at the U.S. as an open market because we don't have nearly the taxation that is common over there [yet]. That, and we have a poorly-run intercity bus transportation network outside of a very few select corridors. (Sorry, Greyhound, the facts is the facts...)

Fullington has its fingers in a lot of different services, including school buses, tours and limousines. The tour bus business -- and charter work in general -- is in the toilet right now all across the country. Nobody wants to spend $$ on group travel and everyone is afraid that the next round of spending from Washington will eventually require us to ante up at tax time. We should all be able to understand that.

Bottom line: The companies that survive will be the ones that can find ways to make money on the services they provide. Fullington employees are better off having someone, anyone who actually wants to run the business than having offspring of the previous owner who don't want to run it, don't you think?

Photo: "Baggage claim area" at Chicago Megabus stop, Union Station on upper Wacker Drive September 6, 2006. Bus had just arrived from Cincinnati and Indianapolis. The Chicago hub is run by Keeshin Charter Service, an old name in Chicago bus operations, now a Coach USA property. Also note the gash in the closed baggage door. Ouch!

timecruncher
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fullington's latest edition;

Compliments of Mr. 'L'

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Fullington's Latest Edition Reply with quote

That looks just like a Lakefront unit I rode from Buffalo to Cleveland a few years ago.
Mr. Linsky wrote:
Fullington's latest edition;

Compliments of Mr. 'L'

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
buslist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: European ownership Reply with quote

Al the 'hound is owned by First Group which is a Scottish based company (but run by an American, ex Conrail actually).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: