BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Airbus Aircraft- Flying Pieces of Crap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Airbus Aircraft- Flying Pieces of Crap Reply with quote

With two of Airbus Industrie's products having gone down in less than a month from each other coupled with what American Airlines found out the hardway about its fleet of Airbuses, it seems to me that these pathetic excuses for aircraft are flying pieces of crap that should be all grounded. Imagine an A380 with 800-1000 passengers aboard going down over the Atlantic. Let's see Airbus Industrie try to explain or lie their way out of that one. With the way these airplanes are made, it would not surprise me to learn that bribes to key airline officials to make the sale could be involved in the sale of so many of these flying pieces of junk. They are not even as good as anything Boeing has. Give it time, it is going to be like the deHavilland Comet I episode all over again only with a much larger deathtoll and a much much larger aircraft involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. J.,

No truer words have ever been spoken (except about the Edsel!).

I just flew to New York and back over this weekend on American Boeing 767's (now the DC3 of the airways!).

In fact, forget the DC3 - I'll rank the 767 with any Checker Cab or GM OldLook bus ever built when it comes to reliability and a tough set of guts (I'd bet my life on them - and I often do!).

The next time anyone offers me a ride on an Airbus, I think I'll just say; thanks, but I'll walk!).

I'm going with Boeing! (not meant as a commercial advertisement).

Mr. 'L'
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
I'm going with Boeing! (not meant as a commercial advertisement).

Though it would make a great slogan!

I'm assuming the above sentiment does not apply to light rail vehicles...
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Well, don't overstate the case about what's wrong with that "other design" in the skies. Yeah, if push comes to shove, we'll all appear
as character witnesses for you! We'll state under oath you are a decent kind of guy...

I can be downright parochial and xenophobic about what US airlines ought to have on equipment rosters. The Boeing designs proven
and rugged. Why any buyer would wish to trifle with foreign builder adventurism escapes me. The US lines that followed those "will o'
the wisp"
creations often paid dearly for it. Something like the Germanic Lorelei legend of perils to seafarers. How that b.... would sing so
pretty, she would draw the vessel to the imperiling rocks...

ripta42: The so called "Boeing Vertol" scam. Can we give that a rest? <G> My Dad worked at the site at Morton, PA. It is known, of course,
that Boeing merely assembled imported "kits" (of sorts). It followed the, "...junk in, junk out..." maxim. Dad near to needed professional
help before the fiasco ended...

Oh, and any new developments about the wondrous Rohr railcars of the same era? The product is holding up real good, right?

.....................Vern.............
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flown on many Airbus A320's and Boeing 737's in recent years, and I honestly couldn't rate one over the other - they both seem to be solid aircraft that do the job. I've never flown on any Airbus plane that was so terrible as to cause me to think 'Wow, what a piece of crap', so I'm not sure what evidence you folks are basing your criticisms on.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will concede to one concern with Boeing's latest and yet to be flown 787;

Producing an 'all new' product can have its glitches here and there and are usually ironed out in trial runs.

But the 787 has one heck of a problem that has caused delays in production and a lot of head scratching by Boeing engineers.

The wings don't seem to be connected to the fuselage properly which could lead to breakup under certain strains.

What worries me is that they have said that this is no great shakes (not a pun) and that a few 'mending plates' should do the job!

Boy, I hope they're right because this, coming from the premier builder of aircraft, gives me somewhat of an uncomfortable feeling!

I guess I'll just wait until these 787's have a few thousand hours on them just to make sure!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The complaint I've heard about Airbus planes is that they are strictly "fly by wire." They don't have the back-up mechanicals and hydraulics that the Boeings do.

I don't mind riding buses on the ground but flying buses? If it's not Boeing, I'm not going! Laughing
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Airbus Aircraft-Flying Pieces of Crap Reply with quote

How about looking at the American Airlines' Airbus that crashed in Queens after the tailfin broke off, making the aircraft impossible to control, leading to its crash back a month after the 9/11 attacks and the fact that they rely entirely on fly by wire.
RailBus63 wrote:
I've flown on many Airbus A320's and Boeing 737's in recent years, and I honestly couldn't rate one over the other - they both seem to be solid aircraft that do the job. I've never flown on any Airbus plane that was so terrible as to cause me to think 'Wow, what a piece of crap', so I'm not sure what evidence you folks are basing your criticisms on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My flights usually are booked with a very important question-- What kind of plane is it? I don't do MD80, MD88, or 727 or AirBus. 737, 747, 757, 767, or 777 all okay when I am in my seat. I have driven agents at Delta, American and TWA crazy about this when I say-- NOPE WRONG TYPE OF PLANE!!

The flip side of this is the MD L-1011 had the best wire insulation of all the planes made-- this said after the Swiss Air flight 111 crash in 1998.
Easy on this debate since it is like water under a bridge.

Didn't know Jet Blue owned AirBus junk until I was on the plane. Mad at the girlfriend since see bought the tickets. What a thrilling 4 hour flight it was with one thought in mind (borrowed from the movie Animal House) "We Are Going To Die"!!!!!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL,

Nice piece of writing!, and I agree with you one thousand percent.

I flew back from Vancouver a few weeks ago with Air Canada on an aircraft made by a manufacturer whose name I can't even pronounce - and don't think I wasn't jittery all the way!

Sometimes you have to take it on the chin because it's the only way to get there!

Oh, a little praying does help!

Mr. 'L'
timecruncher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. I've ridden on aircraft built by most of the major players, and found the MD80/MD88 to be adequate aircraft - and I've read that except for cramped galleys, flight crews like their stability.

All Boeing aircraft seem to be stable and well-built with the exception of the 737-200 version (later versions of that aircraft are far superior and a lot less noisy).

Since Louisville is a fairly small airport, many of the flights here are served by commuter aircraft. Here is where the knuckles get white sometimes. Bombardier yes, Embraer no!

I've been on Airbus equipment cross-country, and found their aircraft to be exceptionally comfortable to ride in, even though I am well aware that it is flown with a 'joystick.'

The recent accident(s) over the Atlantic seem to point to component failure. There was that one accident where the composite tail sheared off taking off from a New York (was it LaGuardia or Kennedy?) airport, but that was as likely due to hard rudder application under full power.

My worst experience flying was in the Lockheed Tri Star L-1011, and it was like being in a flying AM-General. The flight was Delta from LAX to ATL with a stop at DFW. The aircraft took off west from LAX and acted as if it didn't want to climb, was noisy as heck in the back under the tail engine, and failed the pre-departure checklist when taxiing away from the terminal at DFW. The pilot decided to take us back to the terminal and await a part replacement. We ended up in a hotel at the airport overnight and came home on an American 727 the next morning.

The 727 was kinda like the Geep of the airline industry for many years. Once the pilots figured out how to take off and land the things, it was perhaps the first commercial aircraft to prove the theory that if you put enough thrust on a brick, it will fly. My first flight, as a 13-year old, was on an American 727. I was scared sh*tless, but the trip was fascinating to this railfan!

The real adventure was from my college days at Western Kentucky University, down in Bowling Green, KY. Normally when I "suitcased" home on weekends, I rode L&N's Pan American north and Greyhound south. If I had something really important to do, or had a few extra dollars to spend (that was rare), I would splurge to ride Eastern Air Lines one and only departure north, a 20-minute flight in one of their last turboprop aircraft (in 1969, anyway). This was an Atlanta - Rome, GA - Nashville - Louisville - Chicago flight that likely needed a new set of tires for every round-trip. The plane was never more than half full, and I rode it once with only three or four passengers on board.

There was just barely enough asphalt at the Bowling Green - Warren County Airport for this thing to land and take off. For around $13.00 (vs. $3.65 on the train and $3.85 on Greyhound), I could ride in a comfortable seat at around 5,000 feet for the 115-mile ride in a Lockheed Electra!

I've got color slides of the thing at Bowling Green here somewhere in my collection, I'll have to dig 'em out and scan them.

Oh to be 19 and immortal again (but knowing all that I've learned in the past 40 years!)...

timecruncher
Coffee, tea or milk, sir?
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
...The 727 was kinda like the Geep of the airline industry for many years. Once the pilots figured out how to take off and land the things, it was perhaps the first commercial aircraft to prove the theory that if you put enough thrust on a brick, it will fly. My first flight, as a 13-year old, was on an American 727. I was scared sh*tless, but the trip was fascinating to this railfan!...

timecruncher -

Exactly! My Dad used to gripe, moan and complain about the sheer amount of buck$$$ Boeing put into successful design of the rear, center engine
mount and venting...

Both the B-727 and DC-9 could be extremely amusing in flight, especially if the pilot had built time as a USN Airman. Both aircraft could do "hot and
fast" landings, although many of low time riders on board found it disconcerting!

"Sonny, let me tell you the time Grandpa was on a United 727 into Boise! It was a dark and stormy night..." <G>

The Air France ex Rio tragedy. The search ships are gone. They haven't located the recorders. We will never know, with certainty, whether this was
a replay of AAL coming out of JFK...

....................Vern..............
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: