BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'READING BUS COMPANY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a non-credited photo I just saw on Facebook.
6th and Penn Sts. looking west. The Kresge's store is the SW corner. Judging by the autos, it is probably late 50's. At that time the bus stops in the 400 and 500 blocks of Penn Street were concrete pads in the middle of the street.
While I can't identify the bus numbers, the one in the intersection is probably on the 6th and Amity run, which was a pretty busy line when the Reading Railroad shops along 6th Street were in full swing.

602374_4783093305000_1627422505_n by Jimmi B Jr, on Flickr
Rob

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.goreadingberks.com/vimeovideos.php
Check the "creme over red" Reading bus in a scene from "Rabbit Run" which was filmed in Reading from 7:41 to 7:50. There are also some glimpses around the one minute mark.

Rob
JimmiB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting video. I remember watching parts of this movie being filmed. I love the way they splice scenes together. At about 7:30 the couple is sitting on a bench that was not filmed in Reading. None of the stores pictured existed in Reading. At 7:32 they are boarding a bus painted for Reading Bus. The first clue that this is not a real Reading Bus is that we didn't have curb side mirrors. Also, part of the name should have been visable over the standee windows. Then at 7:35 they step off of a genuine Reading bus. The "Inc." in the name shows and the split windows would mean it was and ex-Green Lines bus. By union rules, the driver was the first man up on the extra board at the time. I missed it by one driver, although in one scene on Penn St. I was driving a bus that was filmed but you couldn't see the driver.
Except for the fact that it was filmed in Reading and had bus shots, I thought it was a pretty lame movie.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Great film!

It was like watching the Life of Riley, Mr. Ed, I love Lucy and My Little Margie all rolled into one!

I was hoping to see an ex Green Line or Triboro 4507 but I guess it was too early on.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and Happy Thanksgiving!

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking a bit ragged after seventeen years of hard service but still licensed and running in this 1947 shot at its company facility is fleet # 112 - a 1930 Yellow Coach Model U-C-607 and one of thirteen likenesses numbered from 100 to 112 delivered to the newly formed Reading Bus Company of Reading, Pennsylvania.

While buses began to replace the city's traction car lines about 1927 with a handful of Dodges and Whites flagged for predecessor Reading Transit Bus Company, the U-C-607's were the first to appear as Reading Bus Company equipment in 1930.

Most of Reading's early Yellows were already scrapped before the war but # 112 lived on to become a company service truck until 1961.

Although more than partly obscured, the bus behind #112 in the image is a 1947 Twin Coach Model 34S numbered 522 and one of twenty-five of various sized Twins purchased in that year.

Photo courtesy of '4509bus' and is up for bid on eBay as item # 350663295975.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across a batch of photos on Facebook of Reading buses and trollys. I'll just post the bus photos here. These are all shared photos from "Go ReadingBerks" presented for educational purposes.

First, finally a picture of the elusive Bud Bus. It's from the fleet number 600 series but no number is visable. This is on the BARTA lot.

BudBus by Jimmi B Jr, on Flickr
This looks like a sequel shot to the one Mr.L posted of the same bus parked on Court St. with the temporary "Berkshire Mall" sign on the front. Picking up at 5th and Penn Sts.

B13 by Jimmi B Jr, on Flickr
Here is fleet number 822 eastbound on Penn St. One of the former Green Line buses.

B6 by Jimmi B Jr, on Flickr
A clearer copy of a previously posted "Maiers Sunbeam Bread" paint scheme.

B5 by Jimmi B Jr, on Flickr
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another ex-Green Line, #820 westbound in the 300 block of Penn St.

B2 by Jimmi B Jr, on Flickr
Undated photo looking west in the 700 block of Penn St.

B1 by Jimmi B Jr, on Flickr

One added note on the Budweiser bus. This bus has been preserved at the Reading Railroad Heritage Museum in Hamburg PA.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB,

Really great pictures - thanks for sharing.

On the 4507's; 800 through 809 are ex Green Line (NY) and 810 through either 824 or 825 are ex Triboro Coach (NY).

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure enough the Budwieser bus is sitting in front of the Reading Railroad Museum in Hamburg, PA. I will make it a point to get in and check the VIN on it.

THe paint job is really shot though, so preserved but not restored. (yet) I took that photo of the Bud Bus in the early 80's so it has had dang near 30 years to fade away.

Rob
Rob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the Reading Bus Company, but Reading Transportation Company (the Reading Railroad). I came across three photos of Reading Trans busses maked as aquired in 1940, The are numbers 701 - Flxible, 754 - Yellow and 807 a Ford. These were printed in the Rdg Co Tech & Historical Society's Bee Line in Vol 19 No 1 of 1997. Info I have is they were of the road series 701 -705, 751 - 758 and 801 - 807. I managed to get two of the photos (701 & 754) into my Bus Talk photo gallery. the third is being cranky but I'll keep trying...... anyone have any more details on these.
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.goreadingberks.com/vimeovideos.php#trolleysuncut

A half hour video (from home movies) of trolley action around Reading, PA includes a lot of bus glimpses/teasers, however they are there. A little footage around Hershey, PA toward the end. Some a bit grainy, some decent color footage too.

Rob
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I check everything that goreadingberks posts on facebook. They have been coming up with some great photos and old movie shots.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a grainy photo looking east on Penn Street at 4th Street. Taken about 1950 and posted on facebook by goreadingberks.

Bus # 717 is stopped at the bus stop at 4th and Penn Sts. At that time the bus stops in the 400 and 500 blocks of Penn Street were concrete pads in the middle of the street.

717 is a Yellow Coach TD4507, one of 14 delivered to the Reading Street Railway on 5/6/46. Who would have thought that in the late 60's I'd be driving this same bus. The 717 and most of her sisters survived into the BARTA fleet in the early 70's.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/schuylkillvalleyrr/8690762669/]
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB,

Great photo in spite of the grainy finish.

Just one very slight correction;

# 717 was a 38 passenger 1946 GM Coach Model TD 4007.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
JimmiB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you are correct about the model. I know darn well that it's a 4007 and typed it wrong anyway. Duh!!!

BTW. for a while the 717 was the "sparkle" bus. Painted with star shaped sparkles for Clover Farms Dairy, "Sparkling with flavor".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: