BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 10, 1975 Green Bus Accident On Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Today in New York City Transit History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: May 10, 1975 Green Bus Accident On Bridge Reply with quote

Two women were killed and at least 14 other persons were injured, two seriously, when a bus crashed into a steel pillar on the Queensboro Bridge. Bus number 155, a 1970 GM T6H-5305A, hit the pillar after swerving to avoid a car. The 2 women killed where sitting behind the front door. After the bus was repaired many drivers would say they felt like someone was riding the bus looking at them, even though the bus was empty. The bus was nicknamed "The Ghost Bus".
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: GBL Queensborough Bridge Accidents Reply with quote

GBL Rebel,

I am unfamiliar with the 1975 Green Line bridge tragedy merely because it happened after I had left the scene.

However, I am very familiar with two mishaps that occured in my time; the first involved Green Line # 926 (a GM TDH 4507) sometime in the fifties.

This bus was crushed between a bridge pillar and a Queensborough Bridge trolley car at the Queens foot of the span.

Fortunately, injuries were minor but the bus became much taller and more narrow!

Had this been a Mack with a chassis it would have been totaled, but #926 was taken to Hudson Body Works in Hoboken for repairs and returned like brand new.

The second accident occured with a Green Line TDH 5104 that found itself careening down the Manhattan side of the bridge heading toward Second Avenue without brakes.

The driver had the presence of mind to run the tires against the curb so as to slow sufficiently enough to minimize impact with the heavy granite entry structure at Second Avenue.

The incident left a few paniced passengers, a really horrified driver and some minor damage to the bus.

There were many other accidents (it's inevitable in the bus business) and I describe two that happened in Kew Gardens in the fifties in an essay entitled 'Accidents Will Happen' that can be found in a resurrected BTN thread under 'Vintage Gallery - New York City - Green Bus Lines' (page 2) http://bustalk.hopetunnel.org/archive/Vintage%20Gallery%20New%20York%20City%20-%20Green%20Bus%20Lines.html

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Today in New York City Transit History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: