BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[CT] 'QUESTION FOR OUR CONNECTICUT EXPERTS'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: [CT] 'QUESTION FOR OUR CONNECTICUT EXPERTS' Reply with quote

This, of course, includes Bill D.

Laddie of GMOldLookBus found the attached photo (upper) of a TDH 4509 and has asked if anyone might know what operator it came from.

GM production records show that Augusta Transit of Augusta, Georgia and Connecticut Railway and Lighting Company were the only two operators that purchased 4509's with the fleet number 602.

I'll go out out on a limb and say that it is probably a CR&L because I remember as a youth traveling through Connecticut and seeing CR&L Mack CT's in the same upper yellow and lower green livery.

Also notice in the lower frame of earlier CR&L Mack CQ's that the fleet number in the same style is also placed over the rear window, and the words 'Local Bus' appear on the engine hatches in both pictures.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Bill D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky,

I would have to agree that this is a CR&L bus. The 600 series 4509's and 4512's were the most common group of buses operated by CR&L when I was growing up in the 1960's, outnumbering the fishbowls in their fleet. I distinctly remember the "Local Bus Watch For Stops" lettering on the rear of the bus. Any idea as to the location where this picture was taken?

Bill
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

The boys at GMOldLook tell me that a number of CR&L 4509's and 4512's were sold off to both Springfield, Mass and Portland, Maine among other places.

So, at the present time, it's anybodies guess as to where 602 sits.

However, one of the guys has a list on this and, as soon as he finds it, I'll let you know.

Sad ending for such a beautiful piece of equipment!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: