BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYCTA 5285 ROLLS OVER ON MYTHBUSTERS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOVIEBUSES

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: NYCTA 5285 ROLLS OVER ON MYTHBUSTERS Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Here is the info on the up coming Mythbusters episode on the Discovery Channel. The bus used for this is a 1973 T6H 5307-A original to Port Authority of NY and NJ #20, LAX #20, Everette Transit #2455. I bought the last remaining glasstops from Everette and 5285 is the only survivor of this fantastic series of buses. Unfortunately, although 5285 is a beautiful bus it is heavily corroded and the entire floor is rotted out and that is why it was chosen for this shoot. This 2 hour special is sure to be the next bus fans newest dvd.

I have some pictures to post but have no idea how to post them here. If someone else would like to post them, please email me off list.

The Mythbusters episode with starring Scott's bus will be on at 9pm on April 8th on Discovery Channel. It is a special 2 hour episode.

08, 9:00 pm

(120 minutes) MythBusters (Season 6 Special)
Demolition Derby Special
TV-PG

It's another feature length episode of Mythbusters and this time the team are on a mission to mash metal. In this 'Demolition Derby' the team have four fables of automotive mayhem guaranteed to bend your fender.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos uploaded (stolen from the GMFishbowl Yahoo! group Wink )
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very interesting pictures!

I have often talked about the 'Angle Drive' (a patent sold to Yellow Coach in 1925) associated with the transversely mounted rear engine which was really first put to use in the Yellow models 720 and 735 (Fifth Avenue and Chicago double deckers) in 1935.

Shown below (top) is just such an updated drive train application which, in this case, is on the featured 'New Look' in the movie referenced in the above post.

The steering gear is also fascinating as seen in the lower image.

Photos by Scott Richards of Regional Transit

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Bus Photos Reply with quote

I must confess that, I,too, have bootlegged my share, too, lol.
ripta42 wrote:
Photos uploaded (stolen from the GMFishbowl Yahoo! group Wink )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this particular case, you have little to worry about;

I've met Scott Richards and he's a very fine gentleman (it takes one to know one!), and I'm certain that he doesn't mind the use of his images for educational purposes as long as we are kind enough to give him credit.

Mr. 'L'
MOVIEBUSES

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: USING MY PHOTOS Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
You are more than welcome to use any of my photos that I send to any of the groups. It doesnt bother me at all to share my personal stories or pictures as I hope it keeps the interest alive for the younger generation or anyone else that finds pleasure looking at my pictures for info or education. They are only pictures...
I appreciate credit where credit is due but I understand that not all the time a name is remembered. I dont lable my pictures with my name or anything else as of right now

To sum it all up, the pictures were already posted to GMFishbowl, transportation photographers, norcalbusfans and los angeles bus yahoo and google groups. I was looking for someone to post pictures here and it happened....

Thanks guys. I have many other pictures from this shoot and many others but dont know how to post here and even though it has been explained to me a few times, its a bit too much for me.
www.rts-regionaltransitservice.com
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Angle Drive still built in current models of any type? Thanks (from very ignorant Joe)
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica,

That's a good question and I'm completely in the dark on 'state of the art' in drive trains for buses now.

However, I am almost certain that technology has gone far beyond the simple Angle Drives of years ago.

There is something refered to as 'H' Drive as described below which may be what is used today.

A power train assembly having an H-drive configuration is described as having a number of transversely disposed components which transmit drive power from a transversely mounted drive power source to a transversely disposed rear wheel axle via a longitudinally disposed propeller shaft and a conventional axle-mounted differential. The H-drive configuration is ideally suited for use in low floor buses due to its longitudinally compact dimensions, and the resulting significant manufacturing and operating advantages are described. The H-drive configuration takes drive power source torque developed along a vehicle transverse axis, and after a direction changing, folded back arrangement applies the drive torque or power through a right angle gear box to the longitudinal propeller shaft for conventional coupling into the differential.

The wording in the schematic below may be fuzzy but the diagram is clear enough to see the 'H' pattern.

Apparently, this solves a lot of problems on the low floor jobs which comprise most of today's transit fleets.

Diagram courtesy of the U. S. Patent Office.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Jeff406cid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Is that Angle Drive still built in current models of any type? Thanks (from very ignorant Joe)

I believe it died with the RTS. The use of the Allison world transmission makes it an impossibility, and everything nowadays is using it, from Orion to MCI. The use of the angle drive made the relatively short tail of the RTS possible. Longitudinally mounted drivetrains have a larger overhang, giving it a disadvantage in pulling away from curbs and making worry free turns. .

It's interesting to note how VERY similar the underside of the bus looks like the underside of the MCI classic coach! It really is the same bus under the skin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Buses in Pop Culture All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: