BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'DO YOU SEE WHAT'S FOLLOWING THAT FACCO?'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: 'DO YOU SEE WHAT'S FOLLOWING THAT FACCO?' Reply with quote

Thanks to my friends Dave L. and Harry G. of GMOldLookBus, I have come across another piece of Green Line (NY) history.

Pictured below (upper) is fleet number 2604 - a 1953 White model 1150-D-7 and one of five (2600 to 2604) delivered to the Fifth Avenue Coach Company in that year - but we'll talk more about the Whites later.

Of even more interest to me personally in the photo was what was following the FACCO along Queens Boulevard in Sunnyside that day!

It was fleet number 812 - a 1939 Mack Model CM-3G and one of twenty-five (801 to 825) delivered to Green Bus Lines of Cornell Park, New York in that year.

While number 812 carries the familiar apple green and cream livery in the image (less the side wings - you'll have to take my word for that), its original dress, as seen on # 824 in the lower factory photo, was geared for service to the 1939/1940 World's Fair in Flushing.

Ten more of the 40 passenger CM's (851 to 860) joined the fleet in 1940 and served the company well into the late fifties before transfer to Jamaica Buses.

Getting back to Fifth Avenue's Whites;

The 39 foot long 49 passenger 1150-D-7 Whites powered by Cummins Diesel engines and were purchased new in 1953 primarily to service the #15 Jackson Heights line, and were sold seven years later to Memphis.

Green Line's Q60 and FACCO's #15 shared the same route from Manhattan over the Queensboro Bridge and along Queens Boulevard until Roosevelt Avenue where FACCO turned east and GBL continued straight to Jamaica.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Linsky -

Many Thanks! And, especially for the sharp photo of White 1150-D-7, #2604!

IMHO, this was very much a "...what might have been..." unit. Capital Transit (Washington) was a good customer, and had a
large group of the White 1150 types. These were evidently very solid coaches, and put in years of service.

Very few operators ever had them. My own conjecture being that as good as the units were, they appeared at a bad time in
the marketplace, bus buying cycles; thus, little consideration or deliveries...

.................Vern..............
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am not 100 % certain it appears that the buses are at 46th / Bliss Street heading east.

The topography is fairly flat, eliminated 40th / Lowery or 33rd / Rawson as possibilities.

Can anyone confirm or contradict this ?
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

I looked at that aspect of the photo very carefully and, if it weren't for the FACCO destination sign indicating a Northern Boulevard terminus, I would not have know whether it was inward or outward bound.

Obviously, a resident of the area at the time the photo was taken would have recognized the store front seen through the elevator structure and would have known immediately which was which.

While it may only be an optical illusion, it appears as though the buses are heading down a slight incline which would lead me to believe that they may be heading for Manhattan despite the signage.

But, I'll leave the final judgement to you as far as exact location because you're around there far more often then I am now!

Thanks for your input.

WCA
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HwyHaulier wrote:
Mr Linsky -

Many Thanks! And, especially for the sharp photo of White 1150-D-7, #2604!

IMHO, this was very much a "...what might have been..." unit. Capital Transit (Washington) was a good customer, and had a
large group of the White 1150 types. These were evidently very solid coaches, and put in years of service.

Very few operators ever had them. My own conjecture being that as good as the units were, they appeared at a bad time in
the marketplace, bus buying cycles; thus, little consideration or deliveries...

.................Vern..............

Verne,

From all accounts that I have read, these White 1150's (which were the last of their breed) were good solid runners and did serve for many years.

However, the problem was that GM had such a 'head-lock' on the industry by the mid fifties that White along with ACF and Mack gave up in disgust!

Mr. 'L'
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP Auto Parts was on the corner of 39th place (between 39th and 40th streets) on the North (Manhattan Bound) side of Queens Boulevard. They were there until the early 90's...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...However, the problem was that GM had such a 'head-lock' on the industry by the mid fifties that White along with ACF and Mack gave up in disgust!...

Mr "L" -

Well, IMHO, ACF didn't do itself any favors. It came to the table with the in house problem of incest, in that it also controlled Hall-Scott. As wondrous
as those huge gas motors were, they weren't the future (and, at the time present) of what buyers demanded...

As for all the rest of it, and exit of other than GM. I've thrashed that out with a mutual acquaintance. Our "working theory" is that operators joyfully
overbought at end of WWII. As we have since learned, and as it turned out, the postwar buys were good for twenty years, or more, use. Subject
proviso the operator had diligent shops capability...

Anyway, take years of first large buys (circa 1946 - 1949), and add minimum of twenty years as replacement date. See the problem? Builders ACF,
White
and Mack all came to market with much better mousetraps. The bad news: They didn't show their wares on "Market Day" (figuratively) at the
right time. No buyers came to town that day!

So, the time for buying in the decade of the 1960s. Late in the period though, it was hopeless. The infernal regulators, by that time, routinely gave
too much evidentiary weight to very sad stories of aggrieved transit users. So, the agencies would not uphold the prevailing laws to assure legally
mandated rates of return to operators, possible thru fare box increases. Sorry, known experienced costs are not negotiable! It costs what it costs,
regardless "feelings" of the regulators...

Thus, the following events we witnessed, with half baked (at best) responses to whatever to do with public transit...

..................Vern...............
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice historical photo, Mr. L.; thanks!
Given just how many buses were purchased by NYC operators in the post WWII era, it's amazing that neither ACF nor White could land any significant orders in The Big Apple.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

It is amazing easpecially when you consider that both Triboro and Queens/Nassau had a good deal of experience with ACF's, and, from all accounts, they liked them!

In fact, Q/N went as far as to order post war models but, for whatever the reasons, finally caved in to GM in the beginning of the fifties.

There were hints that the post war ACF's were not what they were pre-war which might have been part of the reason for their demise.

I think though that the GM 'Juggernaut' is really what finished off ACF and White and Mack as well - nobody could beat them!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. L, your comments about the "GM Juggernaut" are right on the money.
Speaking of money, I would speculate that among the many reasons why GM coaches were so popular might also involve availability of attractive financing arrangements (which perhaps other competitors simply could not match).
If true, this factor likely would have been a particularly important advantage for the many private bus operators, like GBL, FACCO and Q/N.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: