BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE ROCHESTER TRANSIT'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: 'VINTAGE ROCHESTER TRANSIT' Reply with quote

Thanks to the Rochester (NY) Municipal Archives, photographer Gerry Byrne and the Classic Bus Depot for the following interesting snapshots.

Pictured below are a number of Mack Model C45-DT's and part of a fifty bus order (fleet #'s 501 to 550) delivered to the Rochester Transit Corporation in three shipments between 1950 and 1953.

It would appear in the top photo that the first group of coaches is being welcomed to the city in a ceremonial parade.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Cyberider

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, Mr. Linsky! Looks like 534 lost it's trim up front and gained a center headlight or whatever that is?

Dave
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

Thanks.

This was obviously the last order of Macks for Rochester as can be seen in the lower photo with number 534 being shadowed by a GM New Look!

What appears to be a third light under the center of the windshield of 534 is the later Mack logo with the Bulldog that first appeared in the mid fifties (see a somewhat fuzzy closeup below).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Rochester Macks Reply with quote

According to some old official NFTA roster information I have had, several of these Macks wound up in Niagara Falls,NY as part of the local bus operation up there and were shown as being in service to NFTA in 1989. Several other Rochester buses, including Flxible new looks wound up at the Falls as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
timecruncher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

Looking at the "Rochester Transit" lettering above the windows, I have to wonder if RT had some kind of relation to DC Transit. That was a unique font and 'letter logo' and you can't help but wonder...

timecruncher
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Rochester Macks Reply with quote

When did Rochester Transit remove the last of these buses from service? Also their disposition other than those that found their way to Niagara Falls for further use there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this page, the Macks were retired in 1971.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timecruncher wrote:
...Looking at the "Rochester Transit" lettering above the windows, I have to wonder if RT had some kind of relation to DC Transit. That was a unique font and 'letter logo' and you can't help but wonder...

timecruncher -

My best guess is the sole common feature is that someone, advising on graphic design for RT, liked the font...

Are there any reports out there, with some persuasive reason, that O. Roy Chalk ever had any interest in the RT operations? If he had, it is difficult
to imagine its rolling stock would have been spared the bold and vibrant common paint treatments of Trans-Caribbean Airways and DCTS...

The bold, DCTS colors have a heritage in the GMC Truck & Coach Div Design Group. First seen on a GMC T&C demo unit, late production TDH-51xx
type. Remarkable photos of the demo shown at Columbus Circle, New York. Mr Linsky may have documented this event, in other work here...

.................Vern............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Rochester's Macks and GM Buses Reply with quote

Rochester's GM "old looks" and the first TDH5302 new looks used this script font above the windows. It looked nice on these buses. The cream and yellow livery Rochester Transit used reminded me of the NFT which had a similar paint scheme on all its buses, Macks, included. One of these Macks, if restored, would make a nice addition to any historical fleet.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel Jim -

So, you are telling us that not one of the N F T, "New Look" Mack types are still around?

"...I've seen the horror. Horrors that you've seen....", Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), Apocalypse Now (1979)

................Vern................
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: Rochester Macks Reply with quote

I do NOT know if any still are from NFT. I hope one in operable condition is. Ditto for one of the Rochester Macks, to which I was referring acutally.
HwyHaulier wrote:
Diesel Jim -

So, you are telling us that not one of the N F T, "New Look" Mack types are still around?

"...I've seen the horror. Horrors that you've seen....", Col. Kurtz (Marlon Brando), Apocalypse Now (1979)

................Vern................
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is still a Buffalo or Rochester Mack surviving somewhere, unknown to bus collectors or enthusiasts, it's rusting away in a field somewhere.
Bassman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
If there is still a Buffalo or Rochester Mack surviving somewhere, unknown to bus collectors or enthusiasts, it's rusting away in a field somewhere.
The old Cold Springs Garage had one that the NFTA was going to restore, I don't know what happened to it. BTW, there were no Macks in revenue service with the NFTA in 1989.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Upstate New York Surface Transit All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: