BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LI Bus 1713 on N80

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: LI Bus 1713 on N80 Reply with quote

About 1 p.m. on March 18, 2009, I came across new Orion 1713 at Sunrise Mall, Masapequa, ready to begin its run north to Hicksville on N80. Because the Long Island Rail Road provides mostly east-west service, north-south bus routes seem important helps to travel on Long Island. N15 (Long Beach to Rooosevelt Field) and N41 and N42 (Freeport to Mineola) are heavily patronized. Current timetables offer N80 and N81 between Sunrise Mall and Hicksville, each hourly on a different route. N80 stands a strong chance of being eliminated, due to low patronage. After leaving Sunrise Mall, it travels south to Merrick Road, where there once was a Gimbels, then north to two LIRR stations (Massapequa Park and Massapequa), then north on Hicksville Road. I have posted two photos of 1713 on this trip. Here is a link to one in the Bus Talk Gallery, and my album will show the other:
http://gallery.bustalk.info/displayimage.php?pos=-14688
Joe
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also today, 3/19, I saw 1711 on N19 (Freeport-Babylon). I wonder how many of the new buses have been delivered. They are CNG.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove past the Orion plant in Oriskany today and the yard was full of new CNG's for LI Bus. The highest numbers I spotted were 1779 and 1782.

Jim
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that when I saw bus 1704 on Front Street, I'd be the first to annouce it on here, but I see that JAM beat me to the punch with see 1713. Now with Railbus seeing buses as high as 1782, how many buses are in this order? Is 1700 still in service.

Both 1704 and the buses in the photo gallery DO NOT have the orange stripe anymore..
asdfasdf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is supposed to be 100. 60 for the base order and 40 option buses (which appear to have been used).

Bob K
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen 1723 on the N81 on Old Country Road about a week or so ago. Yesterday there was another on the N81 but was too far ahead for me to catch up to. I've yet to see any on the N79.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who is paying for them! If memory serves me right, much of the expense of introducing CNG to Nassau County was paid by federal cash brought in by Al D'Amato (senator until 1998, two years after the introduction of Orion CNG'S).
----
So, I am wondering who is paying Orion for the 1700's. Or is someone plunging deeper into debt?
Joe
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1996 Orion V CNGs were not the first CN Orions in LI. The 1992 Orion V CNGs were the first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: