BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A GBL Question and a GBL Comment for Mr L and others

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: A GBL Question and a GBL Comment for Mr L and others Reply with quote

My question, stupid as it may be, is why was the company called "Green Bus Lines"? Was it because the buses had primarily green in the livery when the company was organized, or was some big shot named Green?

Also Mr L - get a copy of Guy E. Martin's book NYC Transit Buses 1945-1975 Photo Archive for these two reasons

1 - Page 100 - GM TDH -4507 - Fleet # 305 at Queens Plaza, when the walkway to the south side of the plaza was enclosed.

2 - Page 104 - GM TDH 4507 - Fleet # 303 at Jamaica Bus Terminal operating on the Q-8.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

I've often wondered why the company name was Green because in all the history I have read and the stories related to me by many of the original stockholders no mention of a Mr. Green has ever been made! (it is possible that one of the early independent operators used the name and it caught on and was adopted in 1925).

I have Guy Martin's book and the GBL pictures are very interesting - I'm only sorry though that he didn't include specimens of a 4506, an early (900) 4507, a 4512 and a 5106.

However, there is something that is of interest in the background behind # 305 on page 104 and that is a 4506 numbered in the 200's which was purchased for the Manhattan and Queens operation and is still dressed in its original livery (he does point it out but misses on its details).

WCA
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of looking in the background....

I found this after doing a search for something else. The photo is of the track work between Howard Beach and Broad Channel, taken around 1955, when the subway was taking over the LIRR route. If you look under the front of the crane...on 104th street near 163rd avenue is a Q-11 Hamilton Beach GBL Old Look bus.
[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeTransfer,

As that fellow on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In used to say (with a German accent of course) "very interesting!!"

It's a GBL - no question about that! - now I just have to figure out what series it was.

It's obviously a paired window job and it still carries the original apple green and cream livery except for the missing cream bib under the windshield - but they did that on a lot of the repaints so that doesn't mean too much.

It looks like a 4509 or 4512 but I'll have to magnify it in my Picture Manager to see if I can get a better look.

Any picture of a GBL is a good picture of a GBL!

Thanks so much for sharing.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
Speaking of looking in the background....

I found this after doing a search for something else. The photo is of the track work between Howard Beach and Broad Channel, taken around 1955, when the subway was taking over the LIRR route. If you look under the front of the crane...on 104th street near 163rd avenue is a Q-11 Hamilton Beach GBL Old Look bus.
[/img]

Free Transfer,

I have carefully examined the photo and have determined that the bus is definately a 35 footer and most probably a 4509 (311 to 345).

I base this on the fact that there is no second set of decorative stainless steel bars under the windshield as was found on Green Line's 4512's and 5104's (the 5106's didn't have them either but it is unlikely that they would have assigned a forty footer to the Q11 route).

Of course, there is one other possiblity as remote as it is; Green Line's # 102 - a 4512 - wound up minus the bars after repair from a fire and the bus could be 102!

Unfortunately, the larger I make the picture the more blurry it becomes so we may never really know what bus it is.

It's still a great find, and thanks again.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Mr RT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee, I heard that one of the founders was Mr Green Jeans ... you know the one who worked with Cpt. Kangoroo .... NOT Smile

Back on topic ... loads of Orion NGs arriving at LI Bus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: