BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Green Line (not New York) restoration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Green Line (not New York) restoration Reply with quote

Some of you have visited the former AMCAP transit site and have seen these photos, but others have not. If you want to see some incredible restorations of antique transit buses, you need to visit the Transit Authority of Northern Kentucky, near Cincinnati.

Not only does TANK have a credible, operable fleet of historic vehicles, a couple of them warrant looking at closely.

209, Cincinnati, Newport & Covington TDH3612-0568 was found festering in a lot near Tacoma, Washington, and got trucked back to northern Kentucky for a two-year restoration (as time allowed). The bus was originally delivered in June 1950 along with nine identical buses, to replace the last streetcars still in operation in Covington.

Interesting sidenote: The original 4-71 Detroit Diesel was too weak to pull the hills in the Green Line service area, so eventually it was swapped out for a 6-71 from a TDH4509 unit that was being retired.

Other historic buses at TANK include a TDH4517 from 1960. 209 will, of course, be in the St. Patrick's Day parade in downtown Cincinnati, today!

timecruncher
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more

Finding replacements for taillight/turn signal assemblies was a pain, but worth it!

Here is the rear view next to TANK's restored AMG 10235:

timecruncher
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bus is beautiful, Cliff.

I am so jealous - I went yesterday to photograph buses at the local St. Patrick's Day parade here in Syracuse (more on that later in its own post), but I didn't see anything like these buses. Sad
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cliff,

What a terrific looking bus. I remember you posting pictures of it at the AMCAP board but, it was great to see them again. Seeing them brings back memories of the old-looks I rode years ago. Thanks for posting them here.

Are they finished with the 4517 restoration?

Roy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: